ns2_rockdown

MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
Does anyone have a copy of this old map? I was thinking that it would be a perfect starting point for a smaller map suitable for the Combat-style game modes.

I used to have a backup but deleted it a while ago, and it's unfortunately no longer distributed with Steam :(

Comments

• endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1951906:date=Jul 16 2012, 09:50 PM:name=MCMLXXXIV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MCMLXXXIV @ Jul 16 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone have a copy of this old map? I was thinking that it would be a perfect starting point for a smaller map suitable for the Combat-style game modes.

I used to have a backup but deleted it a while ago, and it's unfortunately no longer distributed with Steam :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17532519/ns2/ns2.7z" target="_blank">https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17532519/ns2/ns2.7z</a>

I believe this copy is from build 190, not 100% sure.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    What ever happened to Rockdown?
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2012
    It was initially made to test the game. The layout was not balanced for proper play and the map is too small for the average game size (5v5/6v6). Hence, it was removed when new - better balanced - maps were created.

The map creator (Dux) created Docking as well. I'm not sure if he plans to revise Rockdown sometime, perhaps build a proper map around what he's got so far. I'd like that though, I enjoyed Rockdown.

EDIT: Here's the map info btw, I recently updated this for build 212: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Map_Index" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Map_Index</a>
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Since its so small, it didn't fit their idea of how a map should play.
    It worked back in earlier builds when games were smaller and there were less buildings on the map.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's not the size that was an issue, but more the central tech_point being siegable from anywhere around it. It also requires loads of fixing like stuck issues (CollisionGeometry), it is lacking proper commander mode visual groups, the navigation mesh is screwed up and it is lacking OcclusionGeometry.

Add to this that layout issue of the central tech_point similar to an early Hera with the dual siege spot, it's not as simple to adding this map back into rotation. That and I believe dux has the final say in this anyways :)

Also ns2_junction! :P
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the info and the download links guys.

Handily, the double-siege point and broken commander view are fine for game modes that skip the commander view entirely. The sticky geometry would be a problem though. I'll ask Dux if he's planning to put the old version on the Steam Workshop when it's up and running...

For now, we've got a version of junction (marine start needs expanding a bit) and a couple of other maps that various people are knocking up, not that it takes long when you only have two tech points. Now just waiting for Steam Workshop map support...
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've always enjoyed playing Rockdown. Haven't played it since the updated seiges - I remember the only problem back then was the non-cyst infestation which could go through walls, but that can be easily fixed. It had a good feel to it so I can understand why people would choose to want this as a combat map.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    So gogo for adding occlusion culling :D
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Rockdown was a really cool map, I hope someone makes a new balanced version of it.
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    Hopfully someone remakes rockdown +1 its a no go map for jetpacks, and really map for bigger creatures like onoses and exos cuz of the small corridors! srry for waking up the old thread!
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    would likley make a great mvm map