Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Takes forever ad a day to kill an enemy. This should be addressed, I think.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    Vopros wrote: »
    Still no euro server

There is now....

I have a server running in France, will be putting a UK one up soon once I transfer the files across as the Steam Workshop download is having NONE of it right now.

I havent tested it out yet, but hopefully people will play on it.

Have a look for Team Work And Tactics.co.uk in the server list.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Awesome mod, McGlaspie. I played a few rounds both on the Team 156 server and on a 30-slot server. I like the balance changes you've made already. Concerning small firefights, JP + shotty or dual exo remains the best loadout for a good aimer. I've heard complaints of the shotty's strengths, but it's a given that lmg marines would have a hard time against them in short range.

A tip for those holding positions at long range - switch to the pistol. The lmg's spread will make you miss at least a third of your bullets even on a stationary target, while all shots with the pistol will hit. Combined with furious clicking, you'll often kill your enemy first.

A tip vs exos assaulting a base - try to flank them and take out their welders first. If the exos don't notice you, shoot the ones that are on fire and you'll be pleasantly surprised how fast they go down.
  • riley1231riley1231 Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183258Members
    I have a problem with downloading, i subscribed and downloaded it in the mods menu and blah blah blah, i even activated the mod and restarted. But when i try to join a server with mvm it says i dont have the required mod. Please help me this looks cool.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Tried this tonight, lots of fun! Give it a whirl.

Wishlist: Location based damage... increased dmg for head shots.
  • SamcaiSamcai Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 182050Members
    I just played 2 games as a comm, and one on the field and here are my suggestion.

Firstly, i really enjoyed it !! They're is a real sens of frontline pushing back and forward ! I think it could be what UW tried to achieve with relative success due to strong difference between team.

So what i suggest:
    - Tie the level of the upgrades with the number of CC. The investment in map control/CC/time to get lvl 3 will be higher.
    - Mines beeing invisible so they need a scan to be destroyed. Now it's too easy to do so they're useless. It could also be that mine can be activated by both team (but then it's need to reduce the activation range. Of course you can see the mines from your team).
    - Don't know if it's already the case but FlameThrower should be the best counter to Exos. You could make them overcharge faster or something like that. A solo exo constantly attacked by a FT should not be able to attack more than 3sec at the beginning of the engagement.
    - ARC are useless right now. It'll be alway better to use GL (killing structure AND players). Maybe the ARC should be able to attack Marine but maybe that'll be too strong.
    - Recycle should reward only 50% of the ressources (instead of 75%). Now it's too cheap to: a) put an armory b) push c) recycle armory d) put a forward armory, etc... it's already really strong without recycle, i can't imagine how it'd be once people will do it every time. (But don't misunderstand me, that pushing forward thing is really cool mechanics !).
    - Not sure about that but as the welder is now in game really quick and constantly, maybe the armory should not repair armor, and only giving health to promote teamplay !

But congratulation, you've made a really cool mod ! I'd love to see it emerge as a really different game than NS2 !
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited February 2013
    After playing a few more games...

- Add subtle glow around your players and structures.
    - Increase handgun and rifle damage a bit, there's too much dancing going on.
    - Allow welders to convert enemy structures with a new upgrade.
    - More potential variation in techtree so teams won't always be the same, a bit like alien start, picking between defense, offense and cloak, make it so a choice must be made at the start and halfway so you can't have everything.
    - More marine equipment like grenades, personal sentry, shield etc.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd love if the pistol would highlight an enemy like a parasite does in classic. Give each team there own colored glow. Make it an upgrade and a 2nd upgraded pistol could let you track them through walls like parasite does.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    edited February 2013
    Just noticed that you cannot cancel robo factory upgrading to arc factory
    EDIT: also just noticed that you can't do this in NS2 regular, so it's not a mod issue, it's an NS2 issue.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    edited February 2013
    Just to advise, the eXodus-Squad EU server is now running this mod.

IP: 85.236.100.67:27116
    Name: eXo~ M v M
    (see the banner in my signature)

One problem we seem to be hitting currently - the game seems to reset to stock NS2 on map change? How can we fix this?

Other than that, we're really enjoying the mod. Superb work, and a lot of fun.
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    ^
    did you add the mod numbers in the command line + mapcycle.json?

TBGClan.com also has a 24 server MVM up
    connect cgy.tbgclan.com
    NO LAG - MARINE VS MARINE - TBGclan.com - Server #1
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @Sherlock: I bet you're running it with another mod, such as Shine Admin. Right now there are some problems with MvM playing nice with other mods. Since mods are not loaded in a truly consistent order, sometimes (during map change or server start) a conflict will occur. If it does, the mod that gets marked as conflicting won't be loaded. I'm trying to sort this out for the next update.

Always good to see more servers up and running :D

Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll definitely spend some brain time on them and maybe some tinkering with these suggestions.
    Hmm, we don't have any other mods installed, but we did have Combat mode on it previously... Maybe some remnants of that are still floating about?

Gonna do a hard reset to Factory Settings, then re-install MvM and see what happens.
    CoTTon wrote: »
    ^
    did you add the mod numbers in the command line + mapcycle.json?

TBGClan.com also has a 24 server MVM up
    connect cgy.tbgclan.com
    NO LAG - MARINE VS MARINE - TBGclan.com - Server #1

It was an install through the Multiplay / ClanForge interface - will add everything else manually now.

• VesanusVesanus Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68183Members
    THIS IS PURE AWESOMNESS.

Now all we need is AvA (hihihi)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Soooo, i take it the mod doesn't like ns2stats either?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Increase weapon damage!
    I just love it. 4 rounds of 10vs10 mvm is just AMAZING. The tactics man.. the tactics are incredible.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Soooo, i take it the mod doesn't like ns2stats either?
    I haven't tested this, but probably not. NS2Stats may not be able to support it regardless. It most likely is designed (I'm guessing here) to assume an alien team exists.

It's easy to get players join on, even when the MvM servers are empty. Join empty, wait a while and there ya go almost full server everytime :P
    Vesanus wrote: »
    It's easy to get players join on, even when the MvM servers are empty. Join empty, wait a while and there ya go almost full server everytime :P

I have perfected my MAC game in 1v1 MvM Servers, usually only take about 20 minutes or so before you got at least a 4v4 going. Wish more people would stick around after a map change though.
    @McGlaspie - Do you have any intention of making AvA mod? :)
    Vesanus wrote: »
    @McGlaspie - Do you have any intention of making AvA mod? :)
    Nope. Not really. My entire reason for making MvM was two fold; to go through the process of making a fully playing mod (with polish) on Spark, and to learn the Lua API.

I'm well into the next update, you can see how it's progressing with the tracker link in my signature. Once I get MvM to a "stable" point, I may look to see if anyone wants to take it over. I've got several other mod projects in mind that I'd like to work on. So, I won't be able to do all of this at once. Just not enough time in the day, etc.
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love to see this mod evolve to something awesome.
    It's already very pleasant to play but it could use some varied tech, that could include more guns, maybe different classes, and some more bang to the gun play since hitting a relatively slow marine with no recoil has little fun or challenge.
    I've got a number of things in mind to add variation. Instead of focusing on new shiny weapons, I'm going to be leaning towards the team and/or commander oriented enhancements. Time will tell if I can manage to make them, or if they're any good.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I'm planning on adapting a silly map of mine for MvM. It will require Extra Entities Mod, and will feature a series of floating platforms which you transport in between via a push entity. Serious players may hate it, but I think it has potential to be a lot of fun. I should be able to release it later this week - keep an eye out for a map called spacejump!
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    Anyone tested this mod with DAK yet?
    @CoTTon I have not. Considering the trend most mods are problematic along side MvM, I'd assume the same for DAK. When I get much further along in the current update, I'll be testing it with the most popular admin mods to ensure it works. No clue when that will be. With what I have to do right now...plus the impending massive breaking/bug fest that Gorgeous update is going to cause (not a bad thing!)...it might be a little while.
    So how bad did the Gorgeous update mess up MvM?
    Honestly haven't had the time to try it yet. To make it easier on myself when making MvM, I distributed all the code to the game with it. So, there is the off chance it may still work. But considering handling control input is now in Lua (moved from C code to Lua), I suspect there will be some serious problems. When I get about 5-10 hours of free time I'm going to update everything to the B240 codebase. I fully expect to lose some hair in the process. Bleh...