Mod Possible? Multiple Monitors

HarkennHarkenn Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177846Members
For those of you who have had the pleasure of playing a game with native Multiple-monitor support (SupCom 2 comes to mind), you'll know its really handy. That being said, I was curious to know - from someone actually familiar with the modability of NS2 - whether a mod enabled this sort of support is even possible. Even if you couldn't interact with the 2nd monitor, it would be very useful for always keeping a full-sized map up and for putting other useful tidbits...If you could make it interactable, allowing a commander to quickly place "Expanding Here" or for pinging would be useful things to have as well, I'm sure.

Anyone comment on whether or not NS2 would even be capable of something like this?

Comments

• SpoffySpoffy Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177871Members
    I've not modded before for NS2, however I'll share what I know.

Lua is a scripting language, meaning that to interface with the game is requires a number of pre-coded functions/the game has to read it in a certain way. Having never integrated Lua with C++ before, I couldn't say exactly. I think the former. In either case, it means a certain amount of support has to be coded in C/C++/Whatever the main game is written in. I don't believe support for tampering with video settings/output is implemented in the Lua, as that's likely down with the graphics code in the main language.

TL;DR, as far as I know, without dev support, it can't be done, sorry.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Would love uwe to add multi-monitor support for commanders. Dont think it's something that could be added via a mod? Not that I know anything about modding lol
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having a 3 monitor display might be nice for the average marine. For commanders I don't see them being able to utilize a 3rd screen too well. Maps are pretty small and when you get to the edge it is just blackness. Having the map up at all times on a second map though, is not a bad idea.
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Would it be possible to create a mod that adds a viewport to the game?

EG having the game maximized to both screens but then set so the window is scaled down and put on one screen?

aka: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11134-CBHViewport.html

XdAdjyD.jpg
    ninja edit: ignore the marine on the bottom right and think more of a map on plain black, my bad