People moaning about balance in the game... instead of playing the game

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Listen up if the title describes you.

STOP IT.

----Edit to rephrase my post more sensibly----

This game is fantastic! Really, provided you can get two decently matched teams playing, it can be and often is truly epic.

I'm complaining here about a small minority of people who refuse to actually play the game while they're in (and the game is running); instead they spam chat with negative comments about the game.

The best time to voice concerns is either in the ready room, or right here on the forums - not in the middle of a fight! The result there is that the team loses because they are 1 or 2 men down (in practice, but not in numbers).

It's also just rude to all the other players on the server.

I'm hoping that this community will continue to thrive, but in order to do so, it needs people to act with respect towards each other. I don't deny that there may be some balance issues with the game, but the middle of the actual game is NOT the right place to be constantly talking about them.

----End edit, apologies for my previous naming of the culprit that prompted me to write this----

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited February 2013
    SWEET SWEET IRONY OR HYPOCRISY, WHATEVER YOU WANNA CALL IT.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well... not really - when I'm in the game, I'm playing the game... Quite how you ended up with irony or hypocrisy from that is beyond me.
  • Gunman121Gunman121 Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143616Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

SWEET SWEET IRONY OR HYPOCRISY, WHATEVER YOU WANNA CALL IT.

Roobubba wrote: »
    Well... not really - when I'm in the game, I'm playing the game... Quite how you ended up with irony or hypocrisy from that is beyond me.

STOP IT.

Play the game, stop spamming chat with 'OMGzor aliens OP it's brokaaaahhhnnnn.'

If you really think that, then either unbind your talk keys, engage brain and just DON'T talk, or uninstall.

e) people who think they know it all

I assume the bolded part is the case. While it's certainly true that there are a lot of complainers who aren't helping the game.... I think it's unfair to say that people who find it unbalanced are therefore just noobs who don't know how to play.

True that stats don't always hold the truths, but there is something to be said for 55% aliens to 45% marines. Maybe it's because newer folk don't understand marine teamwork, but you still have to adjust for that in the base game.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Whoa there, at no point did I say that people who find it unbalanced are people who think they know it all. That would be a gross generalisation.
    I stand by my statements that the main problems in pubs are not caused by the imbalance which is in the game (and there is some imbalance for sure, I'm not denying it). A troll commander will lose 100% of his games. You don't need to worry about a 55/45, 65/35 or 80/20 imbalance at that point.

I will freely admit, and do in other threads on these forums, that I do NOT know it all about this game. I'm very much learning, and enjoy doing so. There's a hell of a lot to learn.

This is not a thread about balance. It's a thread about people not playing the game when they're in the game.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members

STOP IT.

If you really think that, then either unbind your talk keys, engage brain and just DON'T talk, or uninstall.

You ruin the game for those of us who actually want to play. In the majority of pubs, the problem is not aliens being OP. The main, key problems are the following:

a) people who can't follow orders, do not communicate and don't use the map/minimap
    b) people who can't shoot
    c) people who have no idea how to position themselves as either team
    d) people who spend all their time typing instead of playing
    f) people who don't understand the need for marines to attack
    g) people who teamstack

In all cases, the main problems are people. If you're one of the people who fall into the categories above, I want to say this to you: YOU RUIN PUBLIC SERVERS AND CAUSE GAMES TO BE LOST.

The only reason I'm writing this is because I cannot play any gathers (www.ensl.org) tonight - I have to be able to go upstairs to settle my 9-month old son, who has decided recently that sleep is for the weak. That means I had to play in a public server again. After the coordination and communication of the gathers I played last night, public server play was absolutely HORRIBLE. Truly horrible. This post was prompted by a guy running by the name of *snip* Please refrain from accusing players, by using their in game names -Kouji San, who spend essentially the entire time typing about how awful balance is (ie omg Aliens OP), while we cleared up as marine very convincingly... He took up respawn time, he troll recycled one map, he constantly spammed text about how the balance is crap... Seriously, why are you playing?? Uninstall and leave those of us who want to PLAY the game to actually PLAY THE DAMNED GAME.

Sigh.

could flag you as trolling from that last sentence and all the "yelling" caps but i won't bc you'll pm me freakin out
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    I agree with Roo, and the reasoning holds for other issues as well.

Cheaters do not ruin very many games, because they are few and far between (I've yet to encounter one). But people complaining about how someone supposedly cheats do ruin the games pretty frequently.

Bad commanders ruin less games than people who are complaining about bad commanding. Because a lot of people are always complaining about the commander, whether he is bad or not.

Teamstackers probably ruin less games than people who complain about teamstacking too.

And people who at the first setback start complaining about how the game is lost... shesh. Today my side won three times after people had said that it was lost and wanted to concede. You'd think that they'd shut up after the second comeback...

If you don't like the game, don't play. If you think the game is lost, vote concede, leave the server or STFU and keep playing. If you think the commander sucks, offer to take over commanding and start an eject vote. If you can't do it better yourself, or can't get people to replace the Com, then STFU.

Complaining about the game and blaming others is just immature and pathetic. It makes you look like a cry baby and ruins the experience for others.
  • chibimikechibimike Join Date: 2007-09-09 Member: 62232Members
    I don't moan, I just stop playing marines haven't lost a single alien game in over a week... working as intended
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    marines are actually the over powered team, which is the irony in this. Playing marines as if the game is Call Of Duty Future War 3 black ops 5 is how you lose games, it's those people who complain about aliens being overpowered.

NS2 is not and never will be call of dooty. Get over it.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    edited February 2013
    SMH when i hear about imbalance. It's hard to determine with current marine play.
    What we need are some Archea clones so they can mirror match 500 trials.
    THEN we'd be able to determine the true balance of the game.

Watching comp play totally blew my mind since i started playing only from launch and had only witnessed pub play(wish i had black armor :'( ).
    Since then i feel like my marine play has improved. Offensive early mines, consistent harvester/structure hunting, shotgun whoring, zero axing. (although some things seem useless now)
    This game is so damn fun. I feel like those who complain are not trying to self improve and instead looking for external factors to blame.
    "Map is (opposing team that just won) favored" lolrly? because how we play is flawless right. /sarcasm

Again, this game is so damn fun.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    I've played a great deal since release so I'm starting to get familiar with a lot of the people out there, and the main thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of very, very talented players who choose alien 95% of the time. I'm of the opinion that if all those guys would play marines more than once in a blue moon, the game would even out faster. It's not just that bad/new players stack marines all the time, it's that they rarely get to see an example of what they should be doing.
    this thread is just a flame about people complaining. why is this still open? yes, crappy players and crappy commanders are... crappy. the game is based on players playing... not robots (save macs and arcs) or a movie that u just sit back and watch. people aren't perfect. end of story.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Gunman121 wrote: »
    True that stats don't always hold the truths, but there is something to be said for 55% aliens to 45% marines. Maybe it's because newer folk don't understand marine teamwork, but you still have to adjust for that in the base game.

Is it now 55/45? So all the people (you know who you are) who killed all those threads by repeating Aliens OP cause 60/40 are being proven wrong? A large portion of balance WAS L2P?

food for thought for people who say the game has serious balance issues.

Edit: Just verified on ns2stats that the win rate is equalizing a bit
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members

STOP IT.

You ruin the game for those of us who actually want to play. In the majority of pubs, the problem is not aliens being OP. The main, key problems are the following:

a) people who can't follow orders, do not communicate and don't use the map/minimap
    g) people who teamstack

In all cases, the main problems are people. If you're one of the people who fall into the categories above, I want to say this to you: YOU RUIN PUBLIC SERVERS AND CAUSE GAMES TO BE LOST.

The only reason I'm writing this is because I cannot play any gathers (www.ensl.org) tonight - I have to be able to go upstairs to settle my 9-month old son, who has decided recently that sleep is for the weak. That means I had to play in a public server again. After the coordination and communication of the gathers I played last night, public server play was absolutely HORRIBLE. Truly horrible. This post was prompted by a guy running by the name of *snip* Please refrain from accusing players, by using their in game names -Kouji San, who spend essentially the entire time typing about how awful balance is (ie omg Aliens OP), while we cleared up as marine very convincingly... He took up respawn time, he troll recycled one map, he constantly spammed text about how the balance is crap... Seriously, why are you playing?? Uninstall and leave those of us who want to PLAY the game to actually PLAY THE DAMNED GAME.

Sigh.

I bitch about it in game, on the forums, and still play, quite successfully most of the time. =(
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members

STOP IT.

g) people who teamstack

Sigh.

Well, I always believe being respectful and nice to other players is important. Your experience there isn't because people think aliens "are OMGzor aliens OP", it's because that person was really rude and raging most likely against losses.

Also, while you're correct people shouldn't scream and rage everywhere about imbalance, you're wrong if people don't talk about it. How else do you expect UWE to balance the game if people don't talk about balance. I believe there were grenade-launcher attachments in beta. What if UWE thought they were fine and no one complained? What about bilebomb Lerks? UWE needs feedback and the day it no longer gets it is when NS2 is finally a dead game.
    Vigilantia wrote: »

STOP IT.

g) people who teamstack

Sigh.

Well, I always believe being respectful and nice to other players is important. Your experience there isn't because people think aliens "are OMGzor aliens OP", it's because that person was really rude and raging most likely against losses.

Also, while you're correct people shouldn't scream and rage everywhere about imbalance, you're wrong if people don't talk about it. How else do you expect UWE to balance the game if people don't talk about balance. I believe there were grenade-launcher attachments in beta. What if UWE thought they were fine and no one complained? What about bilebomb Lerks? UWE needs feedback and the day it no longer gets it is when NS2 is finally a dead game.

Yup, no problem with people saying there are problems. The forums are the best place to do that, and by all means discuss it in the ready room. However, this guy I saw isn't the only one who does this, constant text spamming moaning about the game while the round actually going on. It's really an admin issue at heart. But if you are in the game, what honestly is the point of not playing it but just raging away? I could have phrased my question a little better, but thus really is the nub of the issue here.
    so let's complain about every player that goes afk or you have a problem with in-game on these forums...
    Sampson wrote: »
    so let's complain about every player that goes afk or you have a problem with in-game on these forums...
    AFK players can be dealt with by server-side admin mods, anyone 'I have a problem with' is meaningless drivel, I'm just another player and have no more say than anyone else. However, when a whole server is fed up of a player doing this, but they have no admin or vote kick, then it empties the server because everyone essentially has to leave the server (the only power we have left, which in this case, we used). I wasn't the only one, but I appear to be the only one to bring it up here.

I've rephrased my OP to make my point more clear, as it wasn't well phrased initially.
    Sampson wrote: »

Incidentally, players who are AFK may have a negative impact on one round, but no longer than that unless they're actively randomed at the start. I don't like seeing AFKs taking up server slots, but they don't actively ruin games round after round until the server is empty.
    you rephrased it just now. lol this was posted 2 days ago, and it just took enough people telling you it was aggressive and even having an admin edit it, to rephrase the question
    Yes, that's right. I admitted that I made a mistake in the phrasing of my post. My meaning was always the above, but how I phrased it was misleading. I'm never afraid to admit when I make a mistake or do something stupid.