PhysX for server

serveradminserveradmin Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182921Members
HI All,
We are using a core i5 2400 and i saw that we need to install physX to create a server.
My question is : If we don't have any nvidia on our server do we have to install it ?
If yes why ?

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    physX is a driver element for nvidia graphics things.
    if you don't have an nvidia graphics card, you don't have physX
    So hence you have to download it from the nvidia website.
    ... i think.
  • serveradminserveradmin Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182921Members
    Yes , i know how to install it and where i can download it, i just want to know if i really need to install it on our server. Because we don't have any nvidia.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    If it says it needs it, then yes you need it. It's not only for nvidia, it's for any computer running a piece of software using PhysX.

Regarding specifically the servers -I never had one-, if the official guide recommend it, just install it.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    physX is a driver element for nvidia graphics things.
    if you don't have an nvidia graphics card, you don't have physX
    So hence you have to download it from the nvidia website.
    ... i think.

PhysX is a physics engine. It's developed by NVidia, but it runs on your CPU (at least in NS2). You need this installed so your server can process physics.
    ok, i understand but when i use physx performances are bad so i will not use it.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I never installed it and the servers run fine.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I never installed it and the servers run fine.
    Same here.

What is telling you that you need to install PhysX? The server shouldn't need installation and you should just be able to download it and run Server.exe, if I'm right.