First Person Spectate in Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageFirst Person Spectate in Natural Selection 2

Millions of people that watch large sporting events such as the Olympics, the World Cup or the Super Bowl. Only a small proportion of them are able to play the sport they are watching with any degree of competence. People enjoy spectating other people while they display skill, courage and showmanship. This phenomenon is becoming increasingly prevalent in computer gaming.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dekstardekstar Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53041Members
    Excellent article that highlights some of the problems that occur when implementing even the simplest-sounding features.
    Can't wait to see how this affects the viewing numbers on shoutcasts like Hugh's or Blind's streams going forward.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Typo: Remove the "that" in the first sentence
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    "To make this system work, the UI (User Interface) system had to be reworked, and input handling moved from C++ to Lua. This had an interesting tangential benefit: Input handling was one of the last NS2 – specific features being handled in Spark, rather than in Lua. Now, the entire game is in Lua, making it even more moddable."

Everything? Really?

Well at least we can finally see the twitch skillz of players on those streams.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited February 2013
    This makes me worry about the allready laggy LUA. It's awesome that first person spectating is in the game, finally. However, when the game starts to lag when reaching mid/lategame, the userinput may(or may not, I don't know) suffer. The mouseinput already feels pretty inconsistent and I would hate for it to feel worse than it does right now.

Nevertheless, great work and I hope I'm wrong!

Next step - HLTV! Or, SparkTV. :>
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Zek wrote: »
    Typo: Remove the "that" in the first sentence

Thank you, done!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope more lua code won't affect performance :(
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    PS: Awesome job, can't wait to try out the first person spectator mode!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was hoping to see the trailer this week, I guess this is to tie us over. Oh well, interesting read none the less!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    It makes for very entertaining bugs to test to say the least. ^___^
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    cant' wait for gorgeous, you're killing us
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    what does that mean to the demo system?

did this got updated too?
    can we have compressed demos,
    which start ingame and can be skipped trough
    in both directions?
  • LeviathanLeviathan Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31345Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    It'd be cool if the first person spectator UI shows an icon if the person you're spectating is looking at their map.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    derWalter wrote: »
    what does that mean to the demo system?

did this got updated too?
    can we have compressed demos,
    which start ingame and can be skipped trough
    in both directions?

With the changes described I would guess a proper demo system won't be too far behind.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    You give us an inch, and we're already asking for the next mile.

Because we love you and we know you can do it, that's why!
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    Good to see!

One of my favorite features from Guild Wars was the ability to watch current tournament matches in game.

Combined with something like CS GO with team matchmaking, you could get a whole lot more people interested in the competitive aspect. That might be more oriented to a game with a much larger player count, and or free to play.

Still, fps view gives so much more feeling to a spectator when used smartly. The commentators have to be smart when to use it though.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    BigImp wrote: »
    Now that that's in, I have a proposal for another major update to the spectator system: super spectators!

What's a super spectator you ask? Well, it's a spectator client, and a spectator server. What it does is connect to the game server as a spectator, and maintain a complete game state, for the entire map. Then, regular spectators (i.e. actual players) connect to the super spectator, to watch that game from any perspective (first, third, any player, etc.).

Would be so cool if it was like Dota 2 where you could control the camera as a spectator, chat with other spectators, etc., without disrupting the game itself.

You just described HLTV. Had many games in Team Fortress Classic where it was used for the spectators to watch our games. (maxed out a 100 spectator HLTV one time in a match.)

HLTV would connect to the server and use up a player slot, then the spectators would connect to the HLTV and they could go around just like they were a real spectator on the server.)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HLTV is a waste of time nowadays, especially with streaming. I think the big problem with HLTV was the lack of entertainment factor.

Watching NS2 on its own is a little boring, but watching it with Hugh and Wasabi going mental, (*)unicorns and interviews with devs etc is priceless.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Interesting read. Looking forward to seeing some top level players in action in first person perspective.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited February 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    HLTV is a waste of time nowadays, especially with streaming. I think the big problem with HLTV was the lack of entertainment factor.

Watching NS2 on its own is a little boring, but watching it with Hugh and Wasabi going mental, (*)unicorns and interviews with devs etc is priceless.
    For me it's completely the other way round. HLTV is THE entertainment factor in many cases and I couldn't care less about casters going mental unless there's something actually awesome going on ingame.

As for streaming, I think any decent and insightful commentary starts from watching replays. You might be able to barely fit NS2 action in a one viewpoint spectator view, but at the very least it requires way more game awarness, analysis and experience than what the casters have now. It's just next to impossible to consistently find the important action with 10 players and 2 commanders interacting unless you're able to go through games step by step and see what you should be focusing on given times. You don't have to look any further than your average day9 daily to understand how important the SC2 replays are for understanding the game.

If NS2 wants to have an actual long term healthy competitive community, you're going to need the HLTV demos. If they're fine without comp community, then the HLTV becomes a lesser priority. However, even then it would work wonders on understanding how the gameplay works and how the balance and development process should go in the future. There's quite a lot of advantages in being able to say "Here, at 3:15, player X's viewpoint. This is the important bit why the game works the way it does".
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Leviathan wrote: »
    It'd be cool if the first person spectator UI shows an icon if the person you're spectating is looking at their map.
    Agree!

I think this sounds awesome! Does it work by spectating the commander as well?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vitdom wrote: »
    Leviathan wrote: »
    Agree!

I think this sounds awesome! Does it work by spectating the commander as well?

For sure, I hope the minimap doesn't appear for people spectating. Some indication that they have it open would be ideal.

You can spectate the commander at the moment by holding the mouse on the comms name plate. A complete first person view with UI and all could be interesting, I would never want to look at it though.

• BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    Replay system next please!
    Badly needed.

Good stuff.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    BigImp wrote: »
    Now that that's in, I have a proposal for another major update to the spectator system: super spectators!

What's a super spectator you ask? Well, it's a spectator client, and a spectator server. What it does is connect to the game server as a spectator, and maintain a complete game state, for the entire map. Then, regular spectators (i.e. actual players) connect to the super spectator, to watch that game from any perspective (first, third, any player, etc.).

The idea is to take away (or significantly reduce) the responsibilities of spectator tracking and networking, and delegate them to this spectator server (which is a smart NS2 proxy/broadcaster, in a sense). The main benefit, besides helping with server performance, is that you can scale this very well... you have one super spectator on the main game server, then this super spectator can hopefully handle at least 200 spectators (since it doesn't do game logic/calculations, it only broadcasts game state as it comes). If you need more than one super spectator server can handle, you just connect more super spectators to the first super spectator, and viola... scale!

Would be so cool if it was like Dota 2 where you could control the camera as a spectator, chat with other spectators, etc., without disrupting the game itself.

Whit a Delay, this would be simelar to the League of legends spectator system, would it not?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Perhaps a silly question, I don't know how it works, but can the server record the entire match such that it can be watched in spectator mode as a replay? This would give casters the option to produce 'the best possible' cast by post editing, or allow spectating from multiple players' views simultaneously (after the event, not live)?
    Or is this currently available in gorgeous already?

I love watching casts of top level ns2 matches, and anything that improves these already very good casts is an awesome and very welcome addition.

Roo
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited February 2013
    Runteh wrote: »

i dont know if you know ut-tv. its like hltv with a stream combined.

the reason for that?

first: quality :) your computer renders the picture, so you have it sharp as ever! no compression fragments and codec blocks anymore :)

second: freeeedom of camera movement, you can watch what ever you want in what ever style you want, you are not bound to the camera movement of the casters. most of them are always missing the action by talking about anything...

third: bandwidth! a hltv stream needs around 2.5kb/s ... then you can add voice and video from the caster IF YOU LIKE! ... ns2 uses extreme low bandwith (one problem related to the ultra low servertickrate and cmdrate... and therefore: hitdetection.)

fourth: analysis. if you ever had a real problematic game, especially as a competitive game and you want to find out WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!?! a hltv demo is like GOLD! you can watch every ones action again and again and again and by doing that you can find out WHAT went wrong. because u get 12 in eye demos with overview in one file and you can easily zap forth and back.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome UWE! Can't wait to find Fanas cheats now. ;)

But one question. Moving input code from spark to lua sounds like a performance hit / input delay. You sure know this too and have checked if it has any impact. But a few sentences how much impact it has on performance would be nice.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Yes i look forward to seeing Archeas first person view. Also agree with hltv over streams for the reason that you get control of what you feel is important. Sometimes casters might miss something.3 minute delay of free spectating in comp play would be great. Delay is for stream cheating in pubbies and such