Comments

• ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    While obviously it isn't directly related to PC gaming, I'm actually kind of pleased with the announcement of the PS4. Over the last two generations Sony has pushed for needlessly complex and confusing hardware architecture for what felt like no other reason than to discourage multi-platform development, assuming that after their dominance in the PS1 era everyone would focus on the Playstation first.

I'm hoping the more straightforward setup of the PS4 (read: practically being a PC) means that developers won't have to cut a platform (*coughPCcough*) as often due to an increased effort required by a Playstation console.

The whole presentation just felt to me as if Sony was finally done coasting on the success of the PS1, and while the improvements won't benefit me directly I'm happy to see them actually moving forwards and presenting some real competition.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited February 2013
    i think its a joke for pc gamers that current graphic suddenly becomes "next-gen" stuff on consoles (1080p really ?). maybe i was expecting too much but besides slightly better graphic nothing will change at all (from the pc gamer perspective).
    i loled when the pr guy said this console makes loadingtimes obsolete ? really ? do they know that ssds exists ?
    however i do agree with anem and hope for better optimised games on the pc :)
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Similarities between platforms is largely irrelevant to the likelyhood of getting good ports. The cost of porting to PC is making the damn thing work across myriad hardware. Most of game development happens on PCs in the first instance, remember.

--Scythe--
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Gamerkatze wrote: »
    i think its a joke for pc gamers that current graphic suddenly becomes "next-gen" stuff on consoles (1080p really ?). maybe i was expecting too much but besides slightly better graphic nothing will change at all (from the pc gamer perspective).
    i loled when the pr guy said this console makes loadingtimes obsolete ? really ? do they know that ssds exists ?
    however i do agree with anem and hope for better optimised games on the pc :)
    If by nothing you mean finally being able to have high def textures and massive more open levels then sure. I can't say I understand the point in combining decent sized very fast ram with a very slow blu ray drive, so I'm expecting more information coming our way to back up the loading time comment.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Aldaris wrote: »
    I can't say I understand the point in combining decent sized very fast ram with a very slow blu ray drive

Good point. Maybe they'll do what they did with the PS3 and have mandatory installs to load the game from the hard drive?

• AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    sherpa wrote: »
    I can't say I understand the point in combining decent sized very fast ram with a very slow blu ray drive

Good point. Maybe they'll do what they did with the PS3 and have mandatory installs to load the game from the hard drive?
    I can't seem to find any details of internal storage, so possibility of an SSD or two?
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    I honestly found the whole presentation a bit duff, there was nothing really new or worth getting excited over.

Also they unveiled the PS4 without actually unveiling the PS4..........what ?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    A sad fact is that console hardware is outdated the day they hit the stores.
    sherpa wrote: »

I can't seem to find any details of internal storage, so possibility of an SSD or two?

I've read that it will have "large capacity", FWIW.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I really just felt there was nothing innovative about the PS4. I didn't feel there was anything it brought to the table that my PC couldn't do. I did, however, really enjoy the Watch Dogs trailer. Definitely interested in that one!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    2 year old hardware isn't that impressive in my eyes. Oh well, 2 year old hardware equals budget PC right? Still it is already lagging behind on PC tech, without even being released yet. Same goes for the new Xbox as that has similar specs... Not very impressive, but still a next step I guess... Innovation will only come from PC though, don't kid yourself!

However that is not the fault of the game designers, it's the bloody publishers and investors forcing them to regurgitate old games and put a few fresh sparkles on it...

[edit]
    And yes this all might sound very cynical, I'm just sick and tired of marketing that's flat out lying. "Next gen graphics", computers could render all of that 1 maybe 2 years ago. Also the "gamefootage" trailers looked to be more like pre-rendered cinematic trailers. Apart from Watch Dogs, which didn't look all that impressive to be honest (graphics wise). And it had lensflare :P

Like I said, I'm just sick and tired of consoles constantly holding up the development of games. Gameplay and graphically... Easier multi-platform, yeah that's nice if true. However if they do not up the quality standard of the console releases, I'm not holding my breath...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    2 year old hardware isn't that impressive in my eyes. Oh well, 2 year old hardware equals budget PC right? Still it is already lagging behind on PC tech, without even being released yet. Same goes for the new Xbox as that has similar specs... Not very impressive, but still a next step I guess... Innovation will only come from PC though, don't kid yourself!
    But 8 cores!!!! That means its 8 times the awesomeness, obviously.

• XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Ill be curious to see if they are actually putting the CPU and GPU on the same chip. I mean, imagine how small the latency will be when the processors are literally micrometers from each other. Not to mention the entire system will be running GDDR5, no DDR3 to speak of (wish I could say the same for my desktop).
    Ill love to see what happens when multi-million dollar game studies get to eek every bit of power from this setup.
    PC gaming is dead, come to terms with your new masters.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    the deep down video - if it was really gameplay - was very impressive
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    But 8 cores!!!! That means its 8 times the awesomeness, obviously.

Kouji_San don't talk poo nonsense. Only I have the authority to do that. You don't know the spec on the new xbox 720. It hasn't been released yet.

However that is not the fault of the game designers, it's the bloody publishers and investors forcing them to regurgitate old games and put a few fresh sparkles on it...

[edit]
    And yes this all might sound very cynical, I'm just sick and tired of marketing that's flat out lying. "Next gen graphics", computers could render all of that 1 maybe 2 years ago. Also the "gamefootage" trailers looked to be more like pre-rendered cinematic trailers. Apart from Watch Dogs, which didn't look all that impressive to be honest (graphics wise). And it had lensflare :P

Like I said, I'm just sick and tired of consoles constantly holding up the development of games. Gameplay and graphically... Easier multi-platform, yeah that's nice if true. However if they do not up the quality standard of the console releases, I'm not holding my breath...

Playing Devil's advocate: you can't expect current-gen tech that would cost £1,500 to put into a PC to be released as a £300 console. Eurogamer says every console generation improves 'power' by 8x, but the PS4 goes further than this.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Xyth wrote: »
    Ill be curious to see if they are actually putting the CPU and GPU on the same chip. I mean, imagine how small the latency will be when the processors are literally micrometers from each other. Not to mention the entire system will be running GDDR5, no DDR3 to speak of (wish I could say the same for my desktop).
    Ill love to see what happens when multi-million dollar game studies get to eek every bit of power from this setup.
    PC gaming is dead, come to terms with your new masters.
    My guess is that it's going to be one of AMD's APUs. I wouldn't shelve your PC yet as it'll still likely outperform the PS4.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    My guess is that it's going to be one of AMD's APUs. I wouldn't shelve your PC yet as it'll still likely outperform the PS4.
    Certainly it's not all about theoretical number crunching ability though. From a developer point of view I can imagine engine optimization is much easier when you are able to assure that 100% of your consumers are running identical hardware.
    At risk of being repetitive I'd imagine there's also an advantage of having a ridiculously large development budget (with respect to the typical computer game) when it comes to getting the maximum amount of 'pretty' out of the minimum amount of power. Meaning: it's conceivable that a game with sufficient development budget could outpace other less endowed titles in terms of graphical appearance whilst also running on a low-er power system (I have to wonder about the theoretical limit here).

Ofcourse this is all speculation until we see matured release titles.
    I have no plans to buy the thing anyway but the engineering and business behind the industry rouses my interest.
    Xyth wrote: »
    Certainly it's not all about theoretical number crunching ability though. From a developer point of view I can imagine engine optimization is much easier when you are able to assure that 100% of your consumers are running identical hardware.
    Undoubtedly true, but unless game studios are making the game only for the PS4, their going to have to deal with different hardware setups (e.g. PC vs PS4 vs Wii U vs Xbox 720).
    Wii U's a non-issue, PC won't get the same focus as consoles; it's only 360 and PS4 who have to duke it out. Although I don't understand the tech stuff, the PS4's use of DX11 and some other acronym I can't remember is supposed to bring it closer in line to the 360 in terms of ease of development.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm done with consoles permanently. PC forever.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    no need to have this video twice...

"We forgot to take a photo of the bloody console, but don't worry, it's just gonna be a black box. Bye!"