Enemy units should be visible to comm when nearby buildings.

JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
One of the most awkward design decisions in NS2 is how units don't show up in Commander view when next to buildings (without a scan or players). This "feature" runs completely counter to almost every RTS ever made and is extremely counter-intuitive. It extends to the point that even units in range of an observatory[ don't show up without a scan.

Simply put, this design decision doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It feels bad if you've played other RTS games, and it heavily contributes to newer commanders screwing up things like easy beacons. When compounded with things like a substandard alert system for comms, it makes tactics like ninja gorge bombing/upgrade sniping more effective than they should be.

Suggested fix: Buildings give the commander vision of nearby units in a generous radius.

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, this would pretty much kill any sort of ninja action for both teams. Observatories and Drifters already do give you vision of nearby enemies. I think you should be able to see any enemy that's attacking a structure, but not everything that runs past an RT.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    The only fixed needed is so that they some up in comm view within range of an obs. Structures do not have eyes.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Well, this would pretty much kill any sort of ninja action for both teams. Observatories and Drifters already do give you vision of nearby enemies. I think you should be able to see any enemy that's attacking a structure, but not everything that runs past an RT.

Observatories do not show the marine comm alien models in commander view. Only scanning shows them. Drifters show marines, but it's pretty ridiculous how marine isn't naturally revealed when next to a hive to begin with.

thefonz wrote: »
    The only fixed needed is so that they some in comm view within range of an obs. Structures do not have eyes.

Structures have eyes in most RTS games (ie: Starcraft). The way ns2 handles commander vision is extremely awkward compared to genre norms.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If I recall correctly, you do see marines chopping your harvester.
    xen32 wrote: »

You do not. Not unless a drifter or player is in range of that marine.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    At the very least aliens within range of an obs should show up in the comm's view!
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    thefonz wrote: »
    The only fixed needed is so that they some in comm view within range of an obs. Structures do not have eyes.

Structures have eyes in most RTS games (ie: Starcraft). The way ns2 handles commander vision is extremely awkward compared to genre norms.

Most structures in other games could be said to be inhabited. It is reasonable that they provide sight. A barracks contains troops. An armory does not have a marine inside assembling shot guns.

Or does it?

In most RTS games, I would agree. But in NS2, spotting with structures would give too much awareness. Gotta remember, field players would be able to see everything on the map too. Forget a sneak attack, you got spotted by an extractor along the way.

Were you around in beta when infestation spotted marines? It was bad man, real bad.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'll agree that the current system is frustrating for any RTS gamer, but having full LOS from all structures would simply impact the FPS portion of the game too much (which is what happened when infestation gave LOS). However, I do think that any player who attacks a structure should show up for the comm. Trying to guess how many skulks are biting down an extractor based on the bite hit splash of comm-invisible skulks is just plain ridiculous.
    I'm not advocating for cysts or infestation to show marines - that would be excessive due to how cyst spam works. But there's no reason that full buildings on both sides should be denied the ability to see players.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Let's avoid the "structures don't have eyes" discussion alltogether...all marine structures are tied to a powernode, and Alien structures through cysts to a hive.
    Marine structure can send disturbance-signal back through powernode-network.
    Alien structures do so through the cyst-network.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

But I clearly remember seeing that many times :\ I've also read somewhere (wiki I guess) that some structures provide LoS.
    Oh well.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    A marine that is on infestation shows up as a kind of black blur in kham view.

I would also like to see something more than a red dot in the minimap when the alien is in range of an obs, or at the very least have the dots differ somehow. Currently a non moving onos shows up the same as a cyst, which just isn't very intuitive at all.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013

If a marine tries to knife one of your harvesters you see him every time. I'm pretty sure it's the same any time someone melees a structure for either team.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    the problem is not the dissimilarity to other RTS games but the inconsistency

you can sometimes figure things out and sometimes can't

things need to be way more clear cut

why do structures have ears but not eyes? why can you see things on structures but not things next to structures?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, they shouldn't.
    You shouldn't be able to enter an engagement knowing exactly what you're up against without some form of scouting.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    It is a bit awkward how Observatories uncloak aliens, but do not show them to the Commander. Other than that, I don't see the big issue.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    No, they shouldn't.
    You shouldn't be able to enter an engagement knowing exactly what you're up against without some form of scouting.
    Which is why I think it should be tied to attacking rather than proximity.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'd actually love to have some kind of 'fog of war' to be honest. You know, once one of your players passes through an area, any chambers/structures and such are recorded onto the minimap and stay there until another player goes through. You won't know if any new stuff has been dropped of course, unless you visit the area again.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    edited February 2013
    Actually, just had a thought, because I like the idea in theory that vision is not what it should be in some cases, but yet ninja action is fun and exciting, game impacting, and shouldn't just be removed altogether.

I think the aliens are fine actually. I can't think of any moment as an alien com or player where I didn't know something was happening with the alerts from the map and drifters. Marines, however, are another story. Most of us know the lack of warning on power node attack. To me it's simple, introduce a marine element similiar to a drifter or obs, but without the heavy res cost of an obs as well as the build time, and not tied to a power node. Just a cheap but easily killed unit that stealths, but is unstealthed on infestation or even unstealthed by drifters (so alien com has something of a counter to them). That way alien controlled territory is not visible to them, but marine, or fair game territory is. To me that seems fair, but I'm open to opinions on it. This could put out an early warning system for marines, that quite honestly is desperately needed in highly contested games, but not completely cripple alien sneak attacks or give away ALL of their movement.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The big problem is probably UI related for comm and players, where when structures are attacked they ate not alerted to them suitably.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    @JAMESEARLJONOS: NS2's gameplay would be diminished if structures inherently provided LOS, and this trade-off is worth being somewhat counter-intuitive for RTS players. Yeah, it might be a trap for first-timers, but they'll learn quickly.

NS2 is not like a typical RTS. It's designed so that the PCs are the essential units. Their mobility and dynamic capabilities are more valuable than anything else. Structures are important, of course, but are deliberately deemphasized. Consequently, I think having to rely heavily on the PCs for intelligence gathering and situation monitoring is a very good game mechanic. It forces the teams to make even more tough choices about how to spend their most precious resource: man-seconds.

@savant: I think a fog-of-war mechanism for NS2 would be overkill. I've never felt like I had any lack of awareness of a) the extent of my team's visible area and b) the potential contents of enemy-controlled areas (including already scouted structures).

Compared to the other RTS I play: NS2 maps are tiny with well-delineated zones and paths; the possible or likely structures and composition of enemy forces are few in number, easy to predict before scouting, and easy to remember after scouting; unit movement through the map is much faster and much more frequent; and the situation in any one area is much more dynamic. Scouting intel becomes stale much more quickly but is also refreshed much more quickly. All these factors suggest to me that fog-of-war wouldn't add much to NS2.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    Um, I definitely see marines running around my hive all the time, without a drifter in sight. The second they start hitting something they show up.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    while I do not want a see all in range mechanic, it would be nice to actually see what is hitting your base if its inrange of a observatory.
    aliens have drifters, so I think they are fine.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Observatories should show the alien models. It is extremely awkward that they don't. I regularly have scan bases even with an observatory so I can see what the hell is going on.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To make it more intuitive, the models of aliens in range of an obs could be showed. Aliens could also be visible for 0.75s when attacking a building. It's only important, that they don't stay visible to long after attacking, but long enough so they don't flicker while attacking. I don't think that would devalue the intel-gathering-mechanic to much.

But buildings that make near aliens visible is an absolute no-go in the small and narrow maps NS2 has.

To correct some miss-conception in this thread: The black cloud under the alien-com cursor is indicating marines and enemy structures. It don't needs infestation to work. It needs one alien to visit the room at one time in the match to make it work. This means, no black cloud in rooms that where never visited by at least one alien.

This mechanic is in, so it isn't to easy for the com to find out the marine start-base.