Game Demos can cut sales in half

SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/jesse-schell-releasing-a-game-demo-can-cut-sales-in-half

I thought this article was pretty interesting. A few months (or maybe years) back I remember a discussion on these forums about how demos are basically gone. A few games have them, now and then, but not like how things were 10/15 years ago. At the time, I thought that sucked and that more companies should put demos out but I never put much effort into considering the cost, time, and stress of making a demo.

As a gamer, I can't actually remember a time where I played a demo and then bought the game. Generally, I look into a game and determine if I will like it without actually playing.

There have been multiple occasions, though, where playing a demo or early release copy (like pre-ordering over Steam) turned my opinion around. In the case of pre-ordering on Steam, I would get refunds (Global Agenda and that Aliens vs Predator game).

Jesse Schell basically recommends hyping the game, create amazing promotional materials, and overall raising expectations whenever possible.

To be honest, not sure how I feel about it. Obviously we wouldn't want companies 'tricking' people into buying bad games but at the same time I understand the risk of releasing even a demo that's considered 'good.'

Your thoughts, NSOT?

Comments

• SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    edited February 2013
    I hate to admit it, or condone, but "acquiring" games has caused me to purchase more games than demos, not to mention as you said they have mostly disappeared. It's also caused me to NOT buy games that I was previously looking at.

On the other side of that though I think many of our future titles will be free-to-play models. Even now I have put a few bucks into Firefall, contemplating Neverwinter (to get into beta) and Marvel Heroes (in this beta already). The 20$ spent on firefall was well worth it even if i never touch it again. Not to mention the >60$ i have put into League of Legends.

And that's the point, people will spend money on a good product above and beyond what you would ask for on box.

But more on topic, most games recently abuse that "open beta" tag, where it's more of a demo, to get people into their game. Sometimes it works (see Path of Exiles recent popularity explosion, fantastic game btw) and sometimes it fails.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I think this is another data point supporting the theory that what people mostly crave is novelty. Considering that only 10% of people finish the games they buy, I don't find this unlikely. For many people a big part of the enjoyment of a game is learning its systems, characters and setting. Actually playing the game is more or less secondary. Your average demo includes all of that, thus satiating a big chunk of the gaming audience.

The solution would be to spend more time preparing demos, crafting them to entice people. Leave them hugry for the full game by teasing more features or hidden depths.

--Scythe--
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DOOM shareware did it right. But nowadays most gamers these days are easily swayed by PR marketing and publishers cramming hype down their throats.

Not many people think for themselves anymore.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    ofc, if you made a shit game, then it just gets what it gets.

most games are not worth a penny anymore...
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    But nowadays most gamers these days are easily swayed by PR marketing and publishers cramming hype down their throats.

I disagree. The gaming communities' bullshit detector is pretty good these days. When a game sucks, it's apparent. Look at Diablo 3. No amount of PR spin could polish that turd. They got record sales on the franchise name alone and basically sullied the name with a terrible game.

That's why Path of Exile is so impressive. Their "free to play" and current "open beta" model made me buy a supporter pack AFTER I played it and saw what a great game it is. There is such community support for that game already because of the devs' approach and their support their gamers. I feel like they understand that its the community that will make their game even better; not the other way around.

Unfortunately, NS2 seems to fall toward the D3 side of the "is this game good" spectrum. The forums here have the same "please fix this" or "wtf why isn't this balanced" feel that D3 has.

I saw Charlie once say that armories should heal armor no matter what because it's not intuitive for the new player to understand why he can't get back to full. If a hive heals you full on aliens, then so should an armory on marines. I couldn't imagine a POE dev saying something as blindingly stupid and close minded as this about their gameplay mechanics. Makes me what to uninstall NS2 tbh.

Back to your topic kinda:
    I bought a constellation icon in support of NS1 3.x after I enjoyed it so much and I feel very good about that purchase.
    I preordered the black armor for NS2 and do I feel good about that one right now: not really.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    But nowadays most gamers these days are easily swayed by PR marketing and publishers cramming hype down their throats.

I disagree. The gaming communities' bullshit detector is pretty good these days. When a game sucks, it's apparent.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is just about to prove you wrong. Big Hype, many pre orders and now look at it.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    So the verdict is, apparently, that developers have gotten better at PR and worse at game development. Sad.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    lolfighter wrote: »
    So the verdict is, apparently, that developers have gotten better at PR and worse at game development. Sad.

Welcome to the industrialization of game development. I mean, this has happened for every other type of main-stream entertainment industry... movies, music, television...

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Xyth wrote: »
    lolfighter wrote: »

Welcome to the industrialization of game development. I mean, this has happened for every other type of main-stream entertainment industry... movies, music, television...

As my drama teacher put:
    Whenever a new form of media comes out (like TV, 3D movies, now video games) and they see that it's popular, they will exploit the CRAP out of it. Like a immature child getting getting a new toy; they will play with it until it breaks.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, it's sad that it happens, but thankfully there are still plenty of good games releasing on a semi-regular basis.

Only problem I have with it is that the crap games are more successful, monetary-wise. And that just isn't fair. :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    The good games currently usually originate in the indie scene and as such are either a niche market or don't have the marketing scamming power the big companies have, who tend to repackage old games in a fresh skin to sell to their loyal drones (customers)

[edit]
    Wow that came out way more cynical then I intended it to be :D
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Shareware seemed to get it kinda right

I was inclined to purchase more than a few shareware games because of being able to play the first couple levels
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The good games currently usually originate in the indie scene

That's hipster talk!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    sherpa wrote: »
    That's hipster talk!
    I played NS2 before NS2 was cool.
    /hipster