Talking on the microphone - tips wanted.

AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I know microphone communication is very important in a game of fast-flowing information in NS2, and I attempt to use common sense when talking (be as brief as possible when you are not the comnander).

But I do sometimes have situations like (and I know this happens to other players too so it's not something only I am doing wrong, but an error quite a few of us seem to struggle with)

10 minutes in Docking, 8v8 or similar.
Marine 1: 2 skulks departures.

(everyone is on the other side of the map, but scattered, not together).

RamboSkulk killed Marine 1 with bite.
Marine 1: Guys I'm worried about departures.

<1 minute later>

SuperSkulk killed Marine 4 with bite
SkulkOnDrugs killed Marine 5 with bite

-POWER LOST IN DEPARTURES-
Comm: What the _______ ____ is going on, why the ____ didn't you guys defend departures?

RamboSkulk killed Marine 1 with bite.
Marine 1: Damn it I just died to him a second time! Those skulks must be clan players.
Marine 2: <I was far away>
Marine 3: <I was far away, Comm told me to assault Locker Rooms at all costs>
Marine 4: <I ran there and died on the way>
Marine 5: <I was dead at the time>
Marine 6: <I wasn't paying attention>

Where is the failure? What is the best way to address a problem in which players aren't sure if they should 'designate' people? Some comms are good and read players' names. I would appreciate some tips on what communication works well when on microphones, and tips for addressing unfamiliar players (as opposed to friends you are used to playing with, or competitive games where everyone knows how to communicate. I'm talking about communicating with total strangers in a way that is effective at delivering the messages that need to be given in the game of NS2. What kind of information needs to be given? What kind of information can be skipped over?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm more interested in they players on the map's communication. It is the commander's job to 'oversee' the map and make 'designated orders' to some extent, but in some games this doesn't happen (it's just the way pub games are). So what I'm asking is what can you, the player on the ground do to communicate what you want done without being pushy or mean (remember, strangers on your team)? What if your team feels that, say, Departures isn't important enough to defend because Comm gave them other 'orders' (which may even have been tactically sound at the time the Comm gave them)?

This is starting to become a post about strategy (which I guess is involved in any case, in a topic about mic discussion).

tl;dr, this is an open question about effective, fast and helpful communication of strategy over the mic when you are not the comm.

Comments

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    There's nothing you can really do if players are not listening to comm. You can try repeating your commands over and over, maybe then they will listen (works sometimes) or speak a little like a commander.

Even if you're not a commander, you have to sound serious about e.g. needing help defending a hive, base or whatever, otherwise they just won't listen, but there are times when even then nobody gives a phuck.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    You cannot really do much if no one listens. Honestly when I sense impending doom that the aliens are going to rush a powernode I start begging people to come help even going up to them running circles until I get someone to come. I sort of wish the map displayed names for players so I can call them out. When coms call me out by name I do what he says because he called me by my name.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Look for the clan players they are normally good enough to listen
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    It depends a lot on the player psychology of how long it will take the marines to get to a location. If it's a long walk, they will likely think that they won't be there in time anyway. (This is not a problem for more advanced players)
    It's in the commander's hands to motivate his players to go quickly to locations. Skulks are more likely to rescue an RT under attack if you provide them with Celerity to get quickly around the map. For marines do you need a lot of forward Phase Gates.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    As a commander, talk a lot. Talk constantly, telling everyone specifically what they should be doing. The more control you exert over the game the more players will trust you to know what you're doing. Speak confidently about what your plan is and don't whine when things go wrong.

As a player, there's not a lot you can do if the comm doesn't communicate well. It's not your job to give orders, so just share information as best you can and hope for the best. I often keep my eye on the minimap and call out things that are happening even if I'm not there. Just do your best to keep people moving in the right general direction. And if you see that something isn't getting done - for instance, no one is playing defense and your RTs keep getting harassed - just do that job yourself.
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    Perhaps a large part of the problem is that players don't position themselves too well to begin with, perhaps not thinking ahead. I generally make a fuss about it if i think a place is going to be attacked in 10 seconds and there are friends close by, but there is a point beyond which I won't even bother telling the team as I know the point is lost.

I consider that I often do predict where a strike is going to occur (often just gets me killed though) - and out of the last 10 comm beacons that were done in emergency, I was not teleported away 7/10 times as I was in base to defend anyway.

I must also point out that I'm not necessarily saying the team is bad - they might even have good aiming or a sound strategy in mind. It's just a case of 'well do we change our strategy to accommodate defence, or do we push on with the assault and risk losing more points'? And what should I try and say to them? I suppose it needs to be the Comm's desicion overall. One thing I think Commanders need to learn is that they tend to give confliciting orders because they're not specific enough. They say stuff like "EVRYONE TO DEPARTURES NOW WE"RE TAKING THAT HIVE GO GO GO" and then a few minutes later yell "why didn't someone defend base when they biled our powernode?" As an enemy I even take advantage of this by doing something that throws the enemy team off enough to distract them so that they can have an argument about it.
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    And I definitely second the point about giving information about a place even when you're not there - when I am evolving, for example, I check the minimap and call out names of places that I think might be attacked. When I am dead i also watch the minimap.

Is there some sort of guide to the sort of things that 'need' to be said in game, for new players who aren't too sure what to say on the mic?

Something I've found is that if you join a server of very quiet people and you start talking to them, it gets them talking easier. They just don't want to be the first to say something. You can't count out the effect of social anxiety on gaming.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I would suggest being as pushy as possible when it comes to pubs, until you're told to stop. I also mean that in a positive sense, heh.

I command 90% of my games. Especially on pubs, I always address people by their names, and micromanage them to tell them exactly where to go. I'm pushy. Sometimes people will be against this and say "I'm trying to play with my friend. Leave me alone", and I will. Or, they'll have their music on real loud and just ignore me. That's fine, I now know who I can factor as a reliable squadmate.

You sound like you're doing everything fine. You want to deliver quick and efficient messages over a crowded frequency. That's exactly what you should be doing. I would go farther then that, and even do some backseat commanding until told not to. If you need backup in computer lab, ask that guy in crossroads to come over. If I were commanding in that game, I'd probably say "No, I'll do the commanding here, but thank you for your concern". If you have a bad commander, he probably wouldn't object to it. If you have a mean commander, then that's a problem within itself.

So say all you want. Give advice to the commander even. And don't forget, the more involved you are, the more involved other people become too.

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    The game needs names on the Map screen and make them clearer in the Comm/Khamm UI. Less "Whoever's in Central, head to Deposit!", more "[name-x], [name-y], [name-z], head to Deposit, [name-a] stay in Central.".
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you don't want to sound bossy, just say something like this:

"I am heading towards enemy territory for sabotage! All players welcome to join me. Plenty of kills guaranteed"
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    I can give the solution to the exact problem you mentioned.

You didn't mention whether there was a phasegate or obs/comm station at departure, so I'll give multiple solutions.

A good comm will just beacon all the marines to departure.... if no beacon/comm station at departure.... A good comm will just beacon to Terminal and tell the marines to phase into departure.

If the comm doesn't have res for a beacon, then that's his fault and can only just tell the marines to go there and hope for the best.

If there is no phasegate or beacon there and just res node/armory and the marines have to run there, then a good comm will tell the marines to group up at say East wing first rather than trickling in and dying one at a time. If sees someone charge on ahead, he can call them by name and tell them to hang back and wait for the others.

Basically, most of the problems can be solved by the comm. In the case of the last scenario, if the marines don't have the "smarts" to do this on their own, then it is left to the comm or if there is no "field" commander to make it happen.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    If you don't want to sound bossy, just say something like this:

"I am heading towards enemy territory for sabotage! All players welcome to join me. Plenty of kills guaranteed"

that is exactly how someone would say it. lol
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I tend to use the rooms people are in to tell them to do things. If they don't respond I'll try to figure out who's in the room. Most often I'm looking more at my map than anything so its far simpler to say "Gap push Central" or "Whoever just spawned in, get to skylights" etc. I dislike comms that tell their players that they're stupid. Especially since such comms are sometimes the ones giving the bad orders.

If I'm in a game where the comm isn't really telling us where to go and what to do, I'll call out a person or two to "follow me, we're gonna go hit ventilation." If I'm in a game where the comm isn't making full use of his ability to build things in places, I'll tend to say "feel free to <action>" or else "If you <action> it'll really help us <attack/defend/etc>." That way you don't sound like you're being too pushy but you are helping the comm figure out what they should be doing, hopefully.

Field commander is my favorite "position." I could care less for the actual building and such, but the tactics of winning and pressure are what I like. And those are easier IMO to communicate from the ground.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Call them names and be mean to get their atention, Then steal the shotgun when their not looking.

Honestly though you are right, This does annoy me at time but a lot of games people acctually listen to other people. All depends on who you are playing with really
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    call by name is best option

the ones i find is silly is when there is a split push on multiple fronts and the comm just announces the attacks
    'go to datacore, vent is under attack, XR under attack'

And then you see marines running back and forth and not actually defending anything in time.

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    i admit, i am a commander that just says where we are being attacked and where their primary target is... i guess i rely on people using their maps to go to the obvious places...
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    use ur inside voice
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited February 2013
    PRO TIP - If there is no sound coming out of your microphone, hit esc and go into the Sound options menu. Just hit apply and there should be sound coming out of your microphone now. It's a bug that introduced last patch or whatever.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    I generally try something along the lines of:
    Free cookies for anyone who comes to sub.
    mostly works.
    ...until they realise i give out no cookies.