Linux / NS2 / Steam

ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So hey everybody and whats up?

since valve has started to support on linux my question actually is: does NS2 already run on linux? and how does it works? - do i have to rebuy any of my windows games on the steamplatform and where do i get the linuxsystem at all.

Would be nice if i and others can get some declarations on that stuff and might would be nice to hear by the development team about the support running for linux.

Im pretty pissed by windows for several years now, since D3D sounds fucked up by vista/7 and all other bad changes wich has been added after windows XP - so at all i just want to give LINUX a try - all declarations for this specific topic are welcome :)

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The client does not support Linux yet but I've heard it's planned. Many(none?) don't charge an extra fee for Linux versions so I doubt this would be the case.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    well for sure giving an extra fee for linux would suck - so we might get some support by devs ? i dont know but as soon as NS2 runs on it i want to try.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited February 2013
    NS2 does not currently have a Linux client.
    There are no stated plans for developing one, though a Linux server is still on the to-do list (this will not allow you to play NS2 on a Linux system, only to host games for players on Windows).
    The devs have said that they would like one, but have not committed to actually doing it.

Steam offers 'Crossplay'; buy it once, and you're able to play on Windows/Linux/Mac if there is a version available for that given platform. No need to re-buy for each one.

The most-supported version of Linux as far as Steam is concerned is Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 (32-bit, though 64-bit can be made to work) or 12.10; a disk image (ISO) can be downloaded for free from the Ubuntu website and burned to a CD/DVD/USB thumbdrive. Which can also be used to 'try out' Linux, either by booting from the disc/USB thumbdrive, or I believe running as a virtual machine under Windows. Either option includes an 'install now' option, but do be careful... as with installing any OS, unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's most likely you will destroy all data on the machine. So save any files you want to keep to an external drive. There is also the option to install as a dual-boot (and choose which to start each time you boot up) but hard drive space is not shared between the OSes. So you can run out of hard drive space REALLY quick.

I'd also advise installing the 'gnome-panel' package, if you do decide to go with Ubuntu; it allows far greater control than the default Unity desktop (which tends to hide everything, annoyingly).
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I heard that you can get NS2 to run through Wine. Worth a shot I guess.

I run BT through VMware if I ever want to do anything in Linux. Running games under virtual machines is slow, so if I were you I'd install OS onto two partitions and dual boot.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well dont care about any corrupted/destroyed files i want to try and i do so :P actually downloading it for the 2nd harddrive and got the options offered by my mainboard to run several OS so lets see how this does work :O (final thing i heard that CS:S is able to run better on a linux system n stuff) so .... lets check
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Do not provide potentially system-destroying misinformation. -Talesin
    Got the Ubuntu Desktop running on the 2nd harddrive - looks great but do i have to install everything (drivers for the 7870) n stuff on it also? guess so or am i wrong?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    A Linux client is an aspirational goal that may one day be achieved if NS2 continues to grow and be a long term success. A Linux server is very far advanced and being worked on every day.

Any Linux client will have to have a viable business case in its own right. As Mac and Linux grow as gaming platforms, this business case will get steadily easier to make, thought it is by no means a clear win. Any Linux client will require an expensive investment in development and only with continued growth in the Windows version could such an investment be made.

It would be wonderful to see Tux, the Apple and the flag all sitting together on the NS2 Steam Store page!
    edited February 2013
    true - okay well actually after an hour of trying ubuntu im out - im done with it. its pretty tricky to use but most disturbing thing is just that i couldnt install any software without any bugs crashes or errors not even steam ._.' might shouda try again in some months/years dunno - i think theres just no use for such OS as long as they lack support by everybody maybe windows 9 becomes much more worse as Vista/7/8 but gaming on computer might dies before if there wont be any serious competition

anyways hopefully you guys keep us updated if Linux Support for server/OS will be ready
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Weird. If you installed it cleanly, it shouldn't have thrown any errors if you were just using the Ubuntu Software Center. Auto-resolves dependency issues. I sense PEBCAK issues.
    Drivers for ATi(AMD) and nVidia should be able to be installed just by using the 'install restricted drivers' option (as they're all closed-source). Most of the rest auto-installs (as there are open-source drivers for most chipsets and CPUs).

Out of curiosity, did you bother to Google for any of the errors, or just give up immediately?
    edited February 2013
    well theres no reason to use google for 8 error messages per minute ^^ - anyways i took the windows installer, installing the OS itself wasnt a big problem but the control about the entire interface is pretty awkward, the software center makes it easy to use for sure, but i couldnt install a single driver or software downloaded by the official websites - same for steam and even by software center
  • PeppermintNightmarePeppermintNightmare Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182743Members
    Try mint if you want a distro that is a little more traditional in interface, comes with a good variety of common shit ready to go too.
    Get the GCC package and compile everything from source. :P
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Try kubuntu, its ubuntu with a different interface. Coming from a windows world you will enjoy kde much more than ubuntu. Specially with the latest 4.10 release of kde its simply the best desktop on linux.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    This might be a bit off topic...

The package managers (like Ubuntu Software Center), the general adjustability (I use [Windows Key] + [Up/Down Arrow] to snap windows to the top/bottom half of the screen for instance... It's increadibly useful - how do I do that in Windows 8?) are some of the benefits. The FUBAR'red file system in Linux is a real nuisance though. It's pure pain trying to navigate outside your home folder (etc, share, bin, sbin, var, lib, dev, usr - what?). I don't even want to mention compiling software from source, and all the dependencies. The dependencies, my God, the dependencies. Is it really that important to save a few kB's or MB's here and there? I don't get it.

Ehrrm! Anyway. I run Xubuntu on my notebook and it's great. If you have a slower computer I can really recommend it instead of XP.

If they made NS2 for Linux I would consider using some kind of Ubuntu on my desktop computer too. Probably with Windows on another partition for those cases when I need software that isn't available on Linux.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hope there will be a Linux NS2 someday.
    alright thanks for the secret hints - gota try that soon
    Namm wrote: »
    The dependencies, my God, the dependencies.

I had circular dependency once. Lol that was awful.

• MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    Its getting crazy, when you have to compile the specific compiler version for compiling the actual software first XD (I ran into this problem with an early build of gchemutils)

Also, when I ran WC3 with wine on ubuntu, it was loading faster and running on higher fps than on XP - same machine, both os fresh installed ^^ - never found out why.

Nevertheless, I think I speak for a lot of people, when I say: The only reason I am running windows is because of the games.

It is not because I think linux is "better". It is mostly because I dont want to pay for an OS with bugs, when I can have an OS with bugs for free. :)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    MyOwnOwner wrote: »
    Nevertheless, I think I speak for a lot of people, when I say: The only reason I am running windows is because of the games.

It is not because I think linux is "better". It is mostly because I dont want to pay for an OS with bugs, when I can have an OS with bugs for free. :)

I sort of agree. Windows 8 was a bad move and I can see the way they are going with operating systems. So I wish I had an alternative but my games keep me binded.
    Windows 8 is just an attempt to push (read: enforce the adoption of) their failed, terrible Windows Phone platform.
    Making it an optional compatibility mode for phones/tablets? Fine. Making it the default and screwing up the rather well-honed desktop interface, just to stroke some middle manager's ego that their Metro pet project isn't completely worthless and deserving of being scrapped? That's... a mistake.

Far as the KDE/Gnome divide goes, I found KDE to be a bit too bloated in comparison, with a lot more compatibility issues to boot. Even if it is a bit more familiar-looking.
    I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Unity is worthless trash at least, and speculate on which hard drugs the team must have been on to pull a precursor to Win8. Again; decent(ish) on a tablet. TERRIBLE for an actual desktop.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    edited February 2013
    *NUKED.* No distro war baiting. -Talesin

I'm rocking Mint 14 Cinnamon here.
    edited February 2013
    Fair (and only) warning. If this turns into a distro war, those responsible will be sanctioned. Harshly.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Yay for immoderate moderating. Seriously, you need to step back and take a chill pill. I stated an opinion, no need to get all butt hurt about it.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yay for immoderate moderating. Seriously, you need to step back and take a chill pill. I stated an opinion, no need to get all butt hurt about it.
    I dont know what deathmonger said here but I gotta say I have the feeling Talesin "started" it ;)

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Last time I tried Ubuntu it took me 2 hours to get Nvidia drivers installed because of errors.....then after it did successfully install, there was no way for me to tell if the Nvidia card was actually being used.... after that I was like... screw linux... never using it again. I'll just pay the $100 or so for a windows OS when I need it for hassle free gaming.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    any news on a possibel OPENGL port? That will make a linux port a thousand times easier, and might actualyl give us decent fps, given opengl is 100x better than directx.

Also, talesin's on a vendetta people, TO THE TRENCHES!
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    any news on a possibel OPENGL port? That will make a linux port a thousand times easier, and might actualyl give us decent fps, given opengl is 100x better than directx.

Also, talesin's on a vendetta people, TO THE TRENCHES!

Please explain how OpenGL is better.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    one: Works on linux: Two: it gives you more fps than direct x ever will (ask valve) three: it's open bloody source.
    Please explain how OpenGL ISN'T better?!
    Edit: Are you one of those big corporations give better support than open sourced communities guys?
    Because trust me, they don't.