Turrets get a buff, now buff hydras

maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
edited October 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">A slap in the gorges face</div>Ok so 225 saw to it that. Turrets are viable, I'm all for this. But three turrets will take down a skulk far faster then three hydras will take down a rine....

As it is a commander can drop a more effective turret defense then a alien gorge whose entire reason for being is hydras and healing. This is just mean to the gorge, It says gorge your not as useful as the board marine

Solution
remove hydra cap and have each hydra cost 1 res more then the previous hydra.

Ex 1st hydra cost one res and the second 2 res... But if you want 11 hydras you'll end up spending 66 res plus 10 to gorge, so you spend 76 res for 11 hydras.....

If a player wants 11 hydras instead of onos that seems reasonable.... A few well aimed gl's or an arc are needed....

Little details, Your next hydra price is based on hydras you have up not affected by hydras destroyed.... If you recycle a hydra you should get half of your most expensive cost back, so players don't spend drop 11 hydras then recycle them all to get an onos later...

Comments

• yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I would like to see a mechanic like this. 3 of these little buggers are a mild anoyance at best and the current hard cap is boring and uninspired.

I do prefer this cool +1 cost per hydra system the most, but other ones I can think of is +3 hydras per hive per person, or just a cooldown for laying them. Or maybe being to upgrade them to different tiers (like the tf2 sentry).
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999983:date=Oct 29 2012, 06:38 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok so 225 saw to it that. Turrets are viable, I'm all for this. But three turrets will take down a skulk far faster then three hydras will take down a rine....

As it is a commander can drop a more effective turret defense then a alien gorge whose entire reason for being is hydras and healing. This is just mean to the gorge, It says gorge your not as useful as the board marine

Solution
    remove hydra cap and have each hydra cost 1 res more then the previous hydra.

Ex 1st hydra cost one res and the second 2 res... But if you want 11 hydras you'll end up spending 66 res plus 10 to gorge, so you spend 76 res for 11 hydras.....

If a player wants 11 hydras instead of onos that seems reasonable.... A few well aimed gl's or an arc are needed....

Little details, Your next hydra price is based on hydras you have up not affected by hydras destroyed.... If you recycle a hydra you should get half of your most expensive cost back, so players don't spend drop 11 hydras then recycle them all to get an onos later...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

STATIC DEFENSE BUILDINGS:
    MARINES- Sentry
    ALIENS- Whips

STATIC DEFENSE PERSONAL ITEMS/WEAPONS:
    MARINES- Mines
    ALIENS- Hydras

So, while the aliens have the best static defense building (in my oppinion), the marines have the best static defense personal item (IMO again), so i think its balanced. Of course, this doesnt mean the hydras couldnt get a buff, only would make the game better, but it isnt a problem of buff sentries and not hydras = unbalance.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000071:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:22 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Oct 29 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->STATIC DEFENSE BUILDINGS:
    MARINES- Sentry
    ALIENS- Whips

STATIC DEFENSE PERSONAL ITEMS/WEAPONS:
    MARINES- Mines
    ALIENS- Hydras

So, while the aliens have the best static defense building (in my oppinion), the marines have the best static defense personal item (IMO again), so i think its balanced. Of course, this doesnt mean the hydras couldnt get a buff, only would make the game better, but it isnt a problem of buff sentries and not hydras = unbalance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I agree. Gorge just needs more structures, not better hydras.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999983:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:38 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ex 1st hydra cost one res and the second 2 res... But if you want 11 hydras you'll end up spending 66 res plus 10 to gorge, so you spend 76 res for 11 hydras.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please lets not give our inexperienced players the ability to totally waste their res on useless stuff.
    I agree they need more stuff to do but if I had a player at 15 mins in the game spamming hydras worth 15 res each,
    I would feel they could be doing something else more productive.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited October 2012
    Sentries cost more, need a battery, aren't omni-directional, are capped by the number of tech points owned, and I believe that it's a weaker damage type (Hydras are Medium and I think Sentries are Light)

They are so not even close to being comparable to Hydras.
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just dont like the 3 hydra rule i thought it would be 3 hydra per person PER hive

1 hive 3 hydra
    2 hive 6 hydra

Besides As comm i have to BEG to get a gorge most of the time, to defend a forward hive.
    I dont think if we change it suddenly hydra spam as team gorge when most prefer to save for fade/onos.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I seem to remember that one of the reasons hydras were limited was server performance, since 1.0. With new infestation among other things I'd guess it would be less of an issue now..... As such I think it does need a second glance.

+1 for perma gorge team players, they need something to do, maybe give it a huge cool down so they can drop 3 every 5 min that way it's not a huge quick spam of hydras
  • RomolskiRomolski Join Date: 2008-01-13 Member: 63402Members
    edited October 2012
    Might be worthy to add different types of hydras as well as more of them.

Say with each hive a gorge gets 3 hydras; maybe after one matures you can specialize it's effect, like parasiting marines on attack, armored up hydras or hydras that can move where told by the gorge (Similar to whips in function, but on all surfaces).

More buildings for the gorge would be cool as well, though trying to find a unique purpose for them would be a challenge. All of this would be PRes dependent / time restricted of course, though would receive the same maturation benefits.

Some buildings might be like a Web Basin (structure that shoots out web projectiles or tendrils that inhibit Marine movement, full maturation would be temporary blinding or damage), Mist Emitter (Emits a cloud of nutrient mist to help cultivate structures / gestation, full maturation would also a temporary movement speed boost ), or Infestation Manipulator (Allows the gorge to set up small bone walls / infestation spikes temporarily in a certain area around the structure).

I dunno, some ideas.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited October 2012
    i don't necesarily think more hydra's is the answer, the reason being is that they are very easy to focus fire down one by one with 2 or more marines. (even if they are being healed by a gorge or crag).

i think that a better idea would be to increase there range or damage, or they damage type so that they can work better with the gorge. E.g. gorge spit does large HP damage, but very low armor damage. So then you'd have hydra's do very high armor damage, so that spit can be the finishing weapon once marine armor is peeled off by the hydras.
    Hydra armor damage could be % based so that would also make hydras more reasonable against exo's and end game high level units.

Also yes i agree gorge needs more structures / things to do - see the gorge the gardener thread here : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120624&hl=gardener" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...amp;hl=gardener</a>

edit : another thing that hydra's could do is slow marines down - often marines can easily run past them before they do barely any damage. (maybe even gorge spit could do the slowing perhaps and let the hydras do the damage etc)
  • VexillVexill Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183083Members
    edited February 2013
    Yea, I agree, hydra's need a cap to atleast +1 not +3 every hive. Cause, 9 hydra's can instantly kill a marine with lv 2 armor (I think) or kill him in a matter of seconds and 5 will kill it quite fast, but atleast give the marine time to get out of range.
    Think about it, 9 hydra's legit slaughter a marine before he can get out of range, Me and some friends spawn camped marines by doing this. 9+ hydras. And they never spawned ^^

But a cool structure I think would be cool like a previous comment: Webs, which smart gorges will put behind a clog wall, so when the marine jumps over, is slowed down and shot by hydra's giving the hydra's an extra shot or two before the rine dies or gets out of range

But the gorge really does need more buildings. And different types of hydra's can be really useful, one that poison's, one can slow down. And one can just be an upgraded version of the hydra (Like it gets more flower bud's)

Also, Sentry's sort of are balanced with the whips. Whips do fairly large damage but a limited range, two whips can play hockey with a marine with lv 3 armor. While sentry's are ranged but do little damage, so to be effective their needed to be 3. A fade or lerk with carapace has time to destroy the battery without taking too much health.
    On top of that sentry's nest's can only be placed one per room, while gorge's can cover an entire room full of hydra's (I saw it once, it was insanely OP)
    But, Idk. The gorge does need a hydra buff in some way.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    This thread was 3 months old m8, many many moons ago when hydras were quite bad, no more necro, only dreams now.