Assigning things to layers

DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm messing around in the Editor, looking at maps and creating my own things, and one thing I see a lot of is separating things like lights and geometry into layers.

I get how to create a layer, but when selecting objects I'm not seeing a way to assign them to a particular layer. I didn't see anything covering it in the mapping documentation or the webbed mapping resources (lot of dead links there now, I assume due to site redesign)

What am I missing?

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yeah its so easy its easy to miss :)

simply highlight the stuff you want to assign to a layer, and then in the layer window put a tick/check in the 2nd box (next to the eye) of that layer.
    the eye checkbox obviously hides and shows layers

I believe people are seperating props, geometry and lights into layers because if you ever have to move or rotate a room its a lot easier to do it individually in those 3 groups. (although its pretty easy to do it on the fly too, so i personally don't bother layering individual things, but rather rooms and hallways only).

Be sure to post screenshots of your work, its always cool seeing a map grow
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks, appreciate it. All I have is a grey box atm lol, just trying to learn the editor.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is also helpful for when you want to re-texture geometry and you dont want props to be in the way of your view.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Speaking of layers is it possible to move layers up and down in the layer list?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    bp2008 wrote: »
    Speaking of layers is it possible to move layers up and down in the layer list?

nope :( not yet anyway