How do Crags work?

|strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
The other day I was attempting to siege out a hive with around 7 ARCs. I was sieging from the gap on mineshaft into deposit, and the hive had shades and crags around it.

So you would think that my biggest problem would be the shades, and they were for a few seconds, as the ink blocked my scan. However, as soon as one volley went through, every shade in the area died and there was no more ink to thwart my plans. However, that's when the weird part started.
Up against the far deposit wall, next to the hive, was a group of 8 Crags. They were far away enough from the hive that the ARCs couldn't hit them, but close enough that they could still heal the hive. But like I cared right? Crags can only passive stack up to 3, and even if all 8 could heal, I had 7 ARC, and 8 crags would not outheal 7 ARCs. Well... they did.
The alien commander was chain casting the Crags super heal ability, which I thought only affected units, and the hive simply was not going down. Considering the number of ARCs, and the length of the siege (before the ARCs were finally overrun after a very long period of attrition), I would say that around 60-80 ARC shots went off on that hive during around a minute to a minute and a half. And the hive never went down.

So how does Crag healing work exactly? Are crags a potential brute force solution to ARCs now?

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    8crags cost a lot of res...
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Sampson wrote: »
    8crags cost a lot of res...

And the 3 res per chain cast on each costs even more. It was a game where the aliens had way more res than they should have. It isn't economically viable, I just didn't know it was possible.

Doesn't the crag ability tooltip say that it heals units? And why does the active ability stack past 3 while the passive doesn't?

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Gotta place those Shades damn stratrgic like to be a decent arc counter, something I usually forget to do in my hurry just to get some passive cloaking up.

Also similarly placed crags will heal the hive but not get hit by the Arcs, some crags and a gorge can hold up agaisnt arcs okayish I guess, say 5 res income for the Aliens and yeah, thats a Healing Wave every few seconds. Dunno if its such a bad thing though, we can't leave the whole strategic side to just the commanders, they players should be concentrating forces, reinforcing appropriatly etc ... ?
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Did you happen to notice how many gorges they had? 2-4 gorges spamming heals nonstop with that many crags I could see doing that.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Even one or two gorges can heal up, er, that hive west/left of Central Drilling on Cave along with some well placed crags.

Manged to do that myself as Khamm. (Thanx Gorges :) )
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i wonder if the 'super heal' feature ends up overwriting the 3 crag limitation

any with lua skilz can prolly check that one
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ARCs shouldn't be be able to do ALL the work. Make your Marines go in there and help shoot down that Hive or the Crags.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2013
    i believe crags only stack up to 3, as in a structure and player can only be healed by 3 crags its the maximum amount of healing that can be reached by crags. least thats how it was supposed to be working, not sure if its still working as intended.

the reason why you struggled is most likely 3 crags healing and a few gorges, if you cant get the crags with the arcs then you need to reposition. Unfortunatly its rare that the arcs cant hit the crags so more than likely the crags make no difference in an arc rush
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    7 ARCs will do aboouutt 45% of a hives health every 5 seconds. I don't even think 3 crags + 8 gorges could outheal that.

• Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    I could easily see crag active heal + a few gorges healing 45% of a hive in 5 seconds.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    So anything past 3 Crags, do not have any effect? Rly?