Welcome back, everyone!

124»

Comments

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
    Triggerman wrote: »
    I think it looks great! Glad to be rid of the phpBB style forum that is everywhere too. But I got some suggestions.
    • I wouldn't mind a bit better scroll-performance with middle-mouse button held down. Compared to other sites, it's a bit sluggish for whatever reason. And no my computer is not that bad since I've never encountered that anywhere else.
    • Maybe of a 1px border of (relatively) bright color at the top of each post would help distinguish them from each other.
    • Where's the bulletin-list option in the reply window? I had to look up the BBCode to even make this, but I think it's handy enough to be added to the reply-interface.

And if I could perhaps suggest a feature that another indie-dev company used?
    They had another button besides Reply/Quote which allowed you to directly message someone in that thread which was not visible to anyone else. It works like a PM but it's much more accessible. This allowed people to keep heated discussions or out-of-topic posts from the public eye, which in turn only helps to keep a topic on track. This helped those guys out and since forums are benign to be filled with negativity by default it just made sense.

These are called "Whispers" and they were a feature of Vanilla 1. Unfortunately, the performance penalty of those kinds of queries was immense. We're thinking about them constantly, but I'm not sure if they will ever make it back in.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks great, the website now lives up to the standard of the game.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    They had another button besides Reply/Quote which allowed you to directly message someone in that thread which was not visible to anyone else. It works like a PM but it's much more accessible. This allowed people to keep heated discussions or out-of-topic posts from the public eye, which in turn only helps to keep a topic on track. This helped those guys out and since forums are benign to be filled with negativity by default it just made sense.

These are called "Whispers" and they were a feature of Vanilla 1. Unfortunately, the performance penalty of those kinds of queries was immense. We're thinking about them constantly, but I'm not sure if they will ever make it back in.

Aw man, that's a shame! It would have been cool as an experiment to see how/if this Whisper thing actually works on a large community and if it helps to make forums more enjoyable.

But thanks for putting a name on it, I'm taking courses in web programming so now I know what to search for if I want to make this myself in the future. :)

Regardless, awesome work Icy!
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver

Also, Whispers made threads extremely confusing :(
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hm, an issue I just noticed.. if you reply from a page other than the (say, I'm looking at page 3 of this thread when I reply rather than 4), it makes it seem like my post went in to the current page, because it is getting inserted to the end of the current page on post. But, a refresh will reflect the fact that it is at the end of the thread like it should be.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
    That's working as intended. You can never insert your comment into a thread anywhere other than the end anyway, so its not confusing. Its just different to constant page reloads. Just go with it :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    What about when replying to a post, being able to see previous posts still below, like previously? Was a great way to refresh yourself on the conversation before replying.
    p.s. i left more robust feedback on the previous page as well
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Like the new site!
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/game-guide/
    is showing "This video is private" when attempting to view.
  • targetducktargetduck Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180718Members
    I thought this was a post directed at all the people who went to try Colonial marines, but I guess that would be "So, you've come crawling back, eh?"