Power Nodes: Cumulative Functionality

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited February 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
There is a current dynamic in the game that allows aliens to require less RTs (read: map control) in order to keep up with marines, about 3/5 in favor of aliens.

Building on this, I'm suggesting that Marines get a 5% bonus to their research times based on how many Power Nodes have been constructed, up to 30% faster (all values subject to change). This would give marines the advantage of faster research times based on points controlled, and allow the aliens to keep their advantage of requiring less points overall.

The idea being to find equal footing between the lower territory requirements of the Aliens, and the larger requirements of the Marines, without sacrificing the asymmetrical play styles of either.

Power Nodes are the lynchpin of any marine team. Every base needs one. Every base has an OFF switch due to one. Combined with not being able to build on infestation, this gives the aliens two layers of area denial, and give marines nothing but a weak spot in their defences. If Power Nodes were given additional functionality that boosts the Marine team's efficiency, this could not only make marines more enjoyable (since there wouldn't be as much waiting for better tech), but also help balance the game overall. Also, This would delay aliens since they would have to scout for Power Nodes as well as RTs in order to maintain tech dominance.

I don't feel that this would push the balance too far into the marines favor as they would still require 6 rooms in order to keep this bonus, most of which would remain undefended since there is no tactical significance to them (hallways that have no RTs, but still have Power Nodes). And also since this wouldn't affect build times.

Alternatively:

Res flow could be increased in the same way, depending on what works better for balance (marines with 30% more res could be...troublesome)

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I like the idea.

However, end game for increased research times is not useful, which is the best time for marines to repair them (welders and jetpack).

Possibly a more localised effect, like observatories have increased range?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If research is complete 30% sooner, then there wouldn't be much need to defend other areas. Marines would be at end-game tech and would have to focus less on defending and more on attacking.

I was thinking about suggesting an overall increase in the effectiveness off all marine structures, IPs spawn faster, PGs teleport more frequently, Armory resupply faster, and research goes faster at Arms lab and Proto, but wanted to keep it simple.

If there was a third bar on each structure that indicated how much power was available, this could be communicated easier, and would be good the whole game.
  • ExcitonexExcitonex Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182947Members
    I like the idea, though nodes shouldn't be free anymore if this is the case. PN's take quite a while to destroy and not very long to weld up. I don't think it would be hard for marines to hold 6 PN's at any point in the game.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    I see posts like these that are nice on the surface but have implications beneath.

If i were comm i would abuse this to the maximum potential and there would always be one guy on a power node journey, and phase gates would come out 20-30seconds sooner.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    rook2pawn wrote: »
    I see posts like these that are nice on the surface but have implications beneath.

If i were comm i would abuse this to the maximum potential and there would always be one guy on a power node journey, and phase gates would come out 20-30seconds sooner.

It wouldn't be hard. If you can hold 4-5 RTs (and 2 of the hallways in between), you wont have any issues rolling out tech early. It rewards taking territory and being aggressive, which how it feels marines should play.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    it's a little bit of a win more mechanic. Not sure of it.