Why are aliens getting an early (?) game tunneling mechanic, and marines get new exos?

FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
Isn't anyone else worried that adding a a rail exo is kind of counterintuitive to the games design of "sidegrades"? I mean, I'm not sure what vacuum in marine offense they're supposed to fill, but I think marines' need something to switch up the frustrating early game segment, that requires too much effort on the commanders part, and too much coordination from a marine perspective.

Why do forum users not bring up more ideas on a useful weapon/accessory for marines instead of pointing out what needs work and fixing?

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Fappuchino:

While I don't know exactly how they work yet, my guess is that Vortex will be much worse against Rail Gun Exos
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Having played with the Railgun myself I can say: absolutely nothing. Because that would violate my NDA.

GL figuring it out forum users.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not clear yet how the Gorge abilities will be distributed. I'm assuming something is going to be on Hive 3 and it's not necessarily babblers. Could even be that Bile Bomb gets pushed back, who knows.

I agree that exo rail guns probably won't have a very meaningful impact on overall marine balance, unlike earlier Gorge abilities, but I think we can give UWE the benefit of the doubt in realizing that much.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013
    I don't think its worth talking about balance when considering new content.

Why? Because balance can be achieved through tweaking of old content. When introducing new things, rather focus on exciting and different things, instead of limiting yourself to only those new things that would address the balance situation.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I admit I do wonder why the aliens need even better strategic mobility. It's really not something they're lacking, nor are exos lacking in firepower.

Those do seem two rather odd additions to the game.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    I admit I do wonder why the aliens need even better strategic mobility. It's really not something they're lacking, nor are exos lacking in firepower.

Those do seem two rather odd additions to the game.

To be fair that is precisely the reason why Shift first is so popular.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Don't expect the EXO railgun to be all that spectacular. Keep in mind that EXOs are painfully easy to kill with skulks (or anything else for that matter) and so the railgun will only make it easier. Why? Well the principle behind the railgun is high damage in a single shot. As one can expect, this won't be firing at 25 shots a second. ;) It may be one shot a second, or once every two seconds. So in that case, if you have a skulk chomping on you, your chances of hitting that skulk have dropped dramatically. Furthermore, miss a shot and you're screwed.

Meh, will be interesting to see how they implement it. I'm not expecting anything spectacular in any case.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited February 2013
    I'd rather have a flamethrower attachment for exo

and some early mobility for marine (before jp or pg)
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128013/jump-boots

Aliens....+1 bb pushed back to hive3 and gorge given something else for hive2 (babblers or tunnel)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Savant wrote: »
    Don't expect the EXO railgun to be all that spectacular. Keep in mind that EXOs are painfully easy to kill with skulks (or anything else for that matter) and so the railgun will only make it easier. Why? Well the principle behind the railgun is high damage in a single shot. As one can expect, this won't be firing at 25 shots a second. ;) It may be one shot a second, or once every two seconds. So in that case, if you have a skulk chomping on you, your chances of hitting that skulk have dropped dramatically. Furthermore, miss a shot and you're screwed.

Meh, will be interesting to see how they implement it. I'm not expecting anything spectacular in any case.

You can ___ shot a ____ with the railgun. I think it can be pretty useful. You can also kill ______ pretty easily too. It's just all about aim.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    <activate paranoidmode>

Everyone is raving about, babblers, tunnels, and railguns. Just 3 items? I have a feeling that there's more than the devs are leading on to believe...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2013
    would rather have a new toy for marines to use early game like grenades from ns1, i feel thats where marines are hurting not the late game. Adding new toys to play with when you are winning like the railgun exo is great but its hardly gonig to change the win ratio since exos generally come out in either desperation or when the marines are winning anyway.

i can see babblers being seriously op, imagine attacking a gorge wall with 2 gorges 2 whips and 2 crags that can also spawn babblers everytime you get close to the wall.

i dont tend to start spending pres as a marine until i have about 60
    i always go lerk as an alien at 30.

generally alien pres becomes more useful much earlier in the game, where as marines tend to wait longer to spend pres due to their fragility and lack of toys early game.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Locklear wrote: »

You can ___ shot a ____ with the railgun. I think it can be pretty useful. You can also kill ______ pretty easily too. It's just all about aim.
    Why must you taunt me, it hurts so much
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013

Well it's probably you can one shot a fade with the railgun? But fades are fast and even more mobile with blink. Plus you are still limited by low rate of fire and charging a shot to full damage. Second one is probably "You can also kill onos pretty easily too". Either way an exo is an exo and will carry all the limitations of one. It does not look like something that will boost marine win rates especially in pubs where people have trouble aiming and in 24p servers where the performance goes down the gutter. Beacons will be even more suggestive of a death warrant for these type of exos. And the single railgun exo? I wonder if that can one shot fades as well because if not we finally have something less useful for 50pres than the normal single exo.

I will say this though. In the right hands the dual railgun exo seems to be scary. Scary enough for one player who can aim extremely well to frustrate an entire team of aliens. Still, it would require support from other marines in order for it to not be overwhelmed. I get the feeling these things will be excellent on defense as you can prop 1-2 up and mostly like drop an Onos extremely fast. So I am assuming these mixed with the normal exos will increase turtling power tenfold. Then you got the tunnels which may be a measure to give aliens a means to break turtling. Though it would be funny if babblers could solo a lone dual railgun exo if the rest of the team has beaconed.

Honestly I feel the content patch is stuff they wanted at launch but did not make it in due to time constraints or other reasons. It is probably not intended for balance but more to complete the game they envisioned. I mean do aliens really need more mobility and webs/babblers with the state the game is in regarding balance? Though it could be fun to use all these new features which is what I think they are aiming at gameplay wise for aliens, but it might end up causing more marine frustration.

Someone released this
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124290991&searchtext=

Not sure how close it is to the final product though but it would match up.

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    You can _pineapple_ shot a _Mazda Miata_ with the railgun. I think it can be pretty useful. You can also kill _the broad side of a barn_ pretty easily too. It's just all about aim.

.............I suck at madlibs.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

You can THREE shot a HYDRA with the railgun. I think it can be pretty useful. You can also kill CLOGS pretty easily too. It's just all about aim.

Did I get that right?

I was thinking more along the lines of one shot a cyst and kill crags pretty easily too.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members

You can one shot a fade with the railgun. I think it can be pretty useful. You can also kill skulks pretty easily too. It's just all about aim.

:-o
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Well it's probably you can one shot a fade with the railgun? But fades are fast and you are still limited by low rate of fire and charging a shot. Second one is probably "You can also kill onos pretty easily too". Either way an exo is an exo and will carry all the limitations of one. Even if it's gun is improved. And you usually get swarmed by aliens so even if you could one shot you could be a sitting duck to even a skulk if you miss or as it recharges and you prep your next shot or shots. Beacons will be even more suggestive of a death warrant to these type of exos. And the single railgun exo? I wonder if that can one shot fades as well because if not we finally have something less useful for 50pres than the normal single exo. If it could then at least the dual railgun will have 2 shots to one shot anything fade and below. As long as you do not shoot both of them at the same time.

Someone released this
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124290991&searchtext=

Not sure how close it is to the final product though but it would match up.

The view and world models are in game, probably "real"
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    <activate paranoidmode>

Everyone is raving about, babblers, tunnels, and railguns. Just 3 items? I have a feeling that there's more than the devs are leading on to believe...
    that and
    decent
    first person spectate
    decals
    infestation webs

maybe focus for aliens

• SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    so the railgun charges one shot and then releases it.

pro:
    -burst damage (its not like the dual chaingun can kill fades close up in a second anyway)
    -accurate/long range (sniping)
    contra:
    -even worse against skulks or anything else whats up in your face, because you have a higher chance to miss a shot

i dont know how the damage in is, so this has to be added somewhere aswell.
    But as of right now this looks to me like a long range sniper shotgun good for taking out structures from far away and sniping lerks and fades.
  • targetducktargetduck Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180718Members
    There is no such thing as side grades. Shotgun is strictly better than anything else.
    There is no situation where i'd rather have an alternative combination to shotgun jetpack. The only reason I buy Gls or flamethrowers is they are kinda fun, but they'll get me killed more often than not where I would have lived with a shotgun.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    There are going to be soooo many complaints from Fade players about Railgun!
    I would rather have a JP/Rifle than a JP/Shotgun against an Onos.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who cares about railguns, I want to see a gorge dig a tunnel with those stubby paws. Then it'll get stuck going in because its been hitting the bacterium donuts again, and all you see is a gorge butt sticking out of the ground.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    I'm just going to call it here, you can quote me on it later:
    Railgun will be absolutely useless, just like exos, and the content update is going to primarily focus on cool alien stuff with little to no significant balance changes.

Sure, new stuff is fun, but as long as they don't make some significant changes to exos and the alien economy, I won't have high hopes in terms of balance. I'm even baffled why this game needs a 'railgun' in the first place, how that is supposed to work in a fast-paced shooter environment (on a ridiculously slow and cumbersome platform mind you) is beyond me.

But hey, at least gorges will finally be more fun to play. About time.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I suppose the railgun upgrade for exos will be like the shotgun upgrade for marines, trading high rate of fire with large burst damage, but without the loss of accuracy in this case. Or maybe it'll be more of an anti-structure unit, as an alternative to arcs. I'm skeptical too, but withholding judgement until I've actually seen it in action. :)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    marines need grenades thats it
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Is it possible to get a 1 rail + 1 minigun exo?
  • Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
    Speaking of railguns...: