Reserved slots on Tactical Gamer and Voogru

CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I don't know anything about these two fine organizations other than they run NS2 servers, and for that I am quite grateful for the valuable service they provide to the community. Kudos; I encourage them to keep up the good work.

*Redacted* letting me connect to their servers, load up the maps, enter the ready room, and then get kicked because the supposedly empty slots that appear in the server browser are actually reserved slots. *redcated*

The OldF.Net Geriatric Ward guys do it right. When all the non-reserved slots are filled, the server gets passworded. I know not to bother trying to join, and in fact don't even see it in the first place when the default filters are on.

Tactical Gamer, Voogru: please start doing the same thing.

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, that is super annoying and this is the best solution right now. However NS2 desperately needs better support for reserve slots so that it's not necessary. At the minimum, allow admin mods to reject a connection before the map load happens.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    I thought that reserved slots work like this:
    When sever is full and a reservee joins someone (usually the newest) is booted.
    So it only takes effect when the person who reserved is actually ON the server.

Not the case here?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    The NS forums do not allow call-outs of server admin action. If there is an issue, please contact the server staff directly. -Talesin
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013
    The NS forums do not allow call-outs of server admin action. If there is an issue, please contact the server staff directly. -Talesin
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I thought that reserved slots work like this:
    When sever is full and a reservee joins someone (usually the newest) is booted.
    So it only takes effect when the person who reserved is actually ON the server.

Not the case here?

There is no official implementation of reserved slots. There are at least two different implementations done by independent mod authors. In at least one of them, the server browser displays (for example) "16/18" slots, but if you try to join and take one of the last two slots AND are not one of the reserved slot owners, then you get kicked shortly after getting to the ready room.

This is very, very frustrating. It's polluting the server list. And like pollution in the real world, it affects everyone EXCEPT the people running these servers.
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    edited February 2013
    I agree completely Eddie. It really pisses me off when it's already hard enough to a find west coast server with a decent player count and ping.
  • GuidedGuided Join Date: 2009-07-16 Member: 68158Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day. Shit sucks especially when its the only server in the list because all the others are full/high ping
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Hate is such a strong word.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its certainly annoying, but understandable on the part of server owners. I know UWE wants to get reserved slots built into NS2, but I don't know how soon they'll be able to implement it.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a reserved slot system that simply "locks" the server once there are only reserved slots? That is way better.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zek wrote: »
    Yes, that is super annoying and this is the best solution right now. However NS2 desperately needs better support for reserve slots so that it's not necessary. At the minimum, allow admin mods to reject a connection before the map load happens.

No reserved slots/kickvote/motd/official "unstuck"/randomteamvote/mapvote... but hey, we're getting gorge tunnels...

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    There may be a valid discussion here, but keep it civil next time. This post and title have been edited.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Not a very long discussion to be had.

If you're a server operator using reserved slots, enable the passworded option in DAK when the number of public slots has been exceded and inform your reserved slot holders of the password. That's it.

If UWE can't write up a reserved slots implementation anytime soon then the least they can do is provide a custom message field when disconnecting clients for modders to use.

Comprox wrote: »
    This post and title have been edited.

Fair enough. My apologies to all for the strong words. Let it be noted that this particular method of reserving slots sparks strong emotions.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    just avoid thoses server like i do
    OBTW, add National Gaming to the list of polluting server operators.

Please fix your ####.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited February 2013
    Locklear wrote: »

Ha. I was in that game. Not what happened at all.
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    just avoid thoses server like i do

Yup, me too. I see "Voogru Hive" on my list and I simply ignore it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I've said it before but it bears repeating. Reserve slot servers are on my blacklist. I would rather UWE add server blacklisting support before built in reserved slots. ALL implementations of reserved slots have significant downsides that lead to me not wanting to play on that server.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited February 2013
    * Just leave the moderation to us. Thanks. - Angelusz *
    edited February 2013
    Sampson wrote: »

Servers aren't people, and stating provable facts isn't defamatory.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited February 2013

*edit* "it's up to the server owners"
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    I'll chime in on my thoughts on Reserved Slots since I run a server.

I think they're a good idea in practice however they're implemented poorly in the NS2 world. Being a member of TeamInterrobang, their TF2 servers handle reserved slots like this.

The server is 24 slots and 24 slots can be filled by anyone. If someone with a reserve slot wants to join when the server is full, they would have to connect via console such as 'connect server.name.com' to get around the UI not letting you join (due to being full (24/24)). Using this method, it allows the server to be filled to capacity without people being kicked from spec/team select/ready room after they join which is the most frustrating part for me with NS2 res. slots.

So basically, it would find the last person who joined that did not have a slot and kick them with a reason of "Kicked for reserve slot". The thing that annoys me the most, as i pointed out earlier, is that when I join a server, I expect to play. If it lets me connect then kicks me after I get into a ready room just to leave an empty slot open, it annoys me. Let it kick me once someone wants to join that has a slot. Don't just leave an empty slot laying around.

Now granted the UI could use some improvement to help this along. Add server to favorites by IP, copy and paste into the UI and console, a way to force connect from the "Waiting for slot" queue window (with the possibility for the server to still reject the connection due to all of the slots actually being filled).

--- Above content was copy and pasted from the other res. slot post I replied on ---

That being said, I'll consider looking into making a DAK plugin to allow people to join up to the max player limit and 'kicking' the last player who joined without a slot if the server is at the max limit. This method has the benefit of not requiring people to remember the password and/or the password getting out however it has the downside of people needing to type (since copy and paste does NOT work in console or the main menu ui at all) 'connect server1.host.com' in the console to connect if the server is full and you wish to connect with your reserved slot.

So if the server is 23/24 and a non reserved slot person joins, it will become 24/24. If someone with a reserved slot wanted to join, they'd enter the stuff in console to join and it'd enumerate through the list of connected players and select the last person who joined and kick them and allow the reserved slot person to continue connecting. Likewise if the server was 22/24 when the non-reserved slot person joins, and the 24th person to join was a reserved slot. The next reserve slot who attempts to join would bump the 23rd person as they were the last to join without a slot.

Any thoughts on this?
    edited February 2013
    The downside is that you can be kicked mid-game without warning. IMO that is the worst implementation of reserved slots possible. Imagine you are halfway through a game and kicking ass with a fade, suddenly you get "kicked from server - reserved slot". I think I'd rather be kicked from the ready room a million times then see that happen once. And just so you know I'm not pulling shit out of my ass, that exact situation HAS happened to me in NS2, although it obviously didn't say it was due to a reserve slot (actually I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but it was a Tactical Gamer server).

The ideal way to implement is to block entry on the server browser screen. A 24 person server with 20 pub slots, all full (no reserves online) shows 20/20+4 on the server browser and only those with a reserve slot are allowed to connect at all. Ideally the queue would still work for public slots as well. With 2 reserve players online, it would show 20+2/20+4 on the browser. This also has the side effect of making servers with reserved slots very easy to spot and avoid if that's what you want.
  • LiversLivers Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180144Members
    edited February 2013
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I'm absolutely not a fan of 'reserved slots' at all. If you want a server to be public, let anyone join at any time, full is full. If you want to make sure your people can join, just make a private server - no public players to fill your slots! I know it's not that simple, but kicking a player mid-game because someone entitled by the server admin wants in... no. I don't like that.

In the end, it's all up to the server admins and the people that do or don't join the server. I think it would be a good thing if server ops announce reserved slots in the server name so people know on which servers they can expect to be removed at any time.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is no event in lua for when a client first connects - the best you could hope to write would be a client side mod people would enable on the mods screen first, which checks custom server key values. The problem with that is everyone that didnt enable it, would join straight in. Ideally they would add an event when a client first connects, add the ability to provide a disconnect message beyond kicked, and also add the ability to alter the reported player count.
    edited February 2013
    @FuhrerDarqueSyde - A server showing empty slots that you can join for at least a while is better than a server showing empty slots that you get kicked from as soon as you finish loading the map. So I'd say that's an improvement over the Tactical Gamer, Voogru, and National Gaming servers that I'm complaining about.

That said: I would never want to join a server where I might get kicked in mid-game to open up a reserved slot. If we had blacklists, I would add such servers to my blacklist.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    The server I play on the most is Oldf.net Geriatric Ward. I also happen to have a reserve slot. The way it works is, at 18/19 it locks and puts a password on the server. If a reservist joins, it will have a spare slot. If further reservists join, it kicks the person with the lowest score. It's far from perfect, but it keeps people from having to connect and load over and over and over. It also sucks that someone gets kicked, but the it kicks the lowest scoring player/lowest time. So either they aren't contributing or just joined anyway.
    edited February 2013
    I want to stress that my OP was not about getting kicked mid-game, or about reserved slots in general. It was specifically about the method that Tactical Gamer, Voogru, and National Gaming use to implement reserved slots.

My complaint is that they show up in the server browser as "not full" but non-reservees can't actually join. Even worse, you have to connect and load the map before discovering that you can't join.

Furthermore, my point is not that I don't like reserved slots or that I don't like their servers. I have no problem with either. My point is that they are polluting the server list with servers that appear to have room but are actually full from the public's perspective. The way that these three organizations are running their servers is doing a disservice to everyone who plays NS2.