Not liking performance in 238

MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
Been watching my server's tickrate since updating to 238. I've not seen it this erratic since near release. Players on the server are commenting as well. Something went awry in this build in regards to server performance I'm afraid.

Comments

• MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    And on another note, the web admin is not properly reflecting the correct number of players on server. I've been seeing 24/24 on the server browser and server admin panel, while the web admin panel has been saying 22/24.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Yup clients are bad.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127640/performance-drop-since-b237

Honestly the game went from decent and cool to choppy since 236. I want 235 back so bad right now. For now I stopped playing but will check if anything is fixed with every patch. At this rate it is just frustrating being afraid of every new patch in terms of performance.
    My server and my client ran fine, actually was going much better, up until this 238 release. Not saying my client experience would be universal as I have a fairly high spec machine.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    I'm also experiencing diminished performance (i7 3770k, EVGA GeForce 670 FTW 4GB, 32GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Samsung 840 SSD) since the last patch. I probably shouldn't be.

Also, the recent patch is the first to make my computer BSOD. I've been getting intermittent crashes since two patches ago, but never a BSOD/lock.
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. The performance drop in 236 was irritating but bearable. The performance drop in 238 brings my game to near unplayable levels. I have noticed server lag issues as well.

In 235 I had no issues until a massive 10v10 battle took place. Otherwise everything was crystal clear.

In 236-237 I started getting some lag in minor battles but it was bearable. Big battles caused me to drop down in the ~20 fps range which caused some impact on my effectiveness.

In 238 I'm getting ~30 fps in minor battles and ~20 fps in moderate battles. I don't even want to know what a massive battle would look like. I probably wouldn't be able to do anything effectively.

This combined with other game play issues I have with the latest patch will just make me play less. A lot less. I can't enjoy the game if I'm bogged down by lag.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Minimum wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. The performance drop in 236 was irritating but bearable. The performance drop in 238 brings my game to near unplayable levels. I have noticed server lag issues as well.

In 235 I had no issues until a massive 10v10 battle took place. Otherwise everything was crystal clear.

In 236-237 I started getting some lag in minor battles but it was bearable. Big battles caused me to drop down in the ~20 fps range which caused some impact on my effectiveness.

In 238 I'm getting ~30 fps in minor battles and ~20 fps in moderate battles. I don't even want to know what a massive battle would look like. I probably wouldn't be able to do anything effectively.

This combined with other game play issues I have with the latest patch will just make me play less. A lot less. I can't enjoy the game if I'm bogged down by lag.

I love you man. Described everything I experienced but better. I am not sure if people keep track of their performance but I figure it's the people with higher specs that notice compared to players who already have low frames. I will not say 236 was a terrible mess since the performance loss was minimal but like you said the dips were irritating but I could deal with it. But it's when the first few problems started since launch where things were going well with every patch.

However, 238 pretty much tipped it over. I think people with pretty good hardware would notice it more are they are they ones who tend to have high performance and any dip will be noticeable. An example can be the ready room. Previously in 235 empty ready rooms I use to get 199-200 now it's around 120. In explore mode I use to stand in the same spot every build and nothing has changed until 236 where it went from 101 frames to 91. I thought it was minor at the time and just reported it. Then this patch and I'm getting 75 in the same spot no matter what settings I turn off or modify. It's a crappy test but it's how I tend to gauge performance. I also never change drivers or settings. And then the actual gameplay with 20+ people where it get down to 40 mid game when it use to be 60+. Late game is even worse that I just alt+f4.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    I also have gotten freezes and crashes in past builds but I got my first NS2 Bsod tonight. Got a Stop Error 3B when loading up a map. I think my Nvidia drivers (up to date- thanks Driver Reviver!) just don't get along with the game very well :(
    Going back to server specifically, my 24 player hosted by ns2server usually ran a solid 30 tickrate with occasional drops in the 20's on late games. Now the graph is spiking all over the place and regularly bottoming out in the 10-15 range. Completely unacceptable guys :(
    I love you man. Described everything I experienced but better. I am not sure if people keep track of their performance but I figure it's the people with higher specs that notice compared to players who already have low frames. I will not say 236 was a terrible mess since the performance loss was minimal but like you said the dips were irritating but I could deal with it. But it's when the first few problems started since launch where things were going well with every patch.

However, 238 pretty much tipped it over. I think people with pretty good hardware would notice it more are they are they ones who tend to have high performance and any dip will be noticeable. An example can be the ready room. Previously in 235 empty ready rooms I use to get 199-200 now it's around 120. In explore mode I use to stand in the same spot every build and nothing has changed until 236 where it went from 101 frames to 91. I thought it was minor at the time and just reported it. Then this patch and I'm getting 75 in the same spot no matter what settings I turn off or modify. It's a crappy test but it's how I tend to gauge performance. I also never change drivers or settings. And then the actual gameplay with 20+ people where it get down to 40 mid game when it use to be 60+. Late game is even worse that I just alt+f4.

Glad to be of help!

I don't have a high-end computer. I'm running on a Q6600 which is a 6 year old CPU and an ATI 7850 which is current gen but not in the top high-end category. I do have my overclocks pushed to the limit on both my CPU and GPU but I know my CPU achieves only ancient speeds, even if it is being stretched to the limit. I know my CPU is the bottleneck here while my GPU barely makes a grunt. I'm not expecting to achieve a constant 60 fps but to go from a good 40-50 fps to 20-30 fps within 2 updates is ridiculous. I just tried to play again and it was still borderline unplayable. Sure, I can still kind of get kills in and sort of survive, but it is nowhere near the level I was playing at before. If I went up against some good players I wouldn't even stand a chance at this point.

I've hit a brick wall here. I love this game. It's a very welcome breath of fresh air in such a boring and bland competitive FPS landscape. I'd love to continue to play but the performance issues particularly with this last update have left me in the dust. I simply can't enjoy playing if my game constantly turns into a near slide show. It's a shame.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Server performance has definitely taken a nose dive this build. Our i5 2500k 4.4 Ghz servers are no longer keeping a near steady 30 tick rate. Really can't throw much better hardware at NS2 than we already are so I would love to see this looked into.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought it was just me (Q6600 @3.3ghz, Radeon 4850 lol), but I guess I wasn't seeing things.

@Minimum What do you have your Q6600 set to? Like...what speed, VCore, etc.? I'm curious...I've been able to get 365 x 9 (3285ghz) and a slight bump to VCore, just wondering if I'll be able to squeak more performance out of it.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My performance hasn't gotten worse this patch, it certainly hasn't gotten better either, it's just as bad as it was in the last three patches.
    edited January 2013
    I thought it was just me (Q6600 @3.3ghz, Radeon 4850 lol), but I guess I wasn't seeing things.

@Minimum What do you have your Q6600 set to? Like...what speed, VCore, etc.? I'm curious...I've been able to get 365 x 9 (3285ghz) and a slight bump to VCore, just wondering if I'll be able to squeak more performance out of it.

I'm running 350 x 9 (3150 Mhz) with a VCore of 1.232v. I've never actually touched the VCore setting myself so don't quote me on that. I am actually limited by my cooler. I'm using one of those Zalman orb coolers from 2007. I probably could press it a little more but I don't like my parts getting too hot. If I had a modern high-end cooler I would be able to squeeze more out of it. I'd rather just put that $60-$80 on a high-end cooler towards a new platform though.

I thought it was just me at first too. I'm glad that it isn't just my imagination or my computer and that it is a problem with the game itself. This performance drop seems quite a bit bigger than the 236 drop.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Playing on servers in-game, I see generally increased server performance(not by tickrate). Are you sure the tickrate drops are affecting the actual experienced server performance in-game?
    Without a doubt. You'll never see tickrates drop that low and not experience it in gameplay.
  • Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    Any word on this? Our server has been crushed in performance and NFO support is pointing to this thread as an explanation. Looks like NS2Servers is having trouble too.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    NS2 is on build 239 now. Build 238 had shitty performance but that's been fixed with 239. Not sure what to tell you on your server performance, but I'd start a new thread for that.
  • krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    I've noticed some performance hitches in 238/239. CPU usage doesn't seem any higher but overall the tickrate doesn't seem nearly as steady.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    maybe because there's some new code for the content patch they accidentally put in and it's not yet optimised, so it keeps loading, hence the hitches?
  • Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    No difference in noticed performance between 238 and 239. Thread still relevant. Suffering still relevant :(