Indie Game Development: Hardware and Software

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageIndie Game Development: Hardware and Software

Indie game development, like all game development, requires a hardware/software ecosystem. What happens when that ecosystem is a self directed mess?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Firehair12000Firehair12000 Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182851Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh we all know about Hugh bringing his beast machine over! :) Interesting little article there. (Also the links to Hugh's and Steve's twitter are broken)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    (Also the links to Hugh's and Steve's twitter are broken)

Ty fixed
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Overclocked out the wazoo? How many Ghz?
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    That's pretty cool. I can relate about the pros and cons of standardized hardware. I just recieved a work laptop as a new hire with several other people. But working as an engineer has different demands than working in finance. Namely, lots of CPU/GPU melting CAD files. As a result, I also received a desktop just to be able to run CATIA since the standard issue laptop would have committed suicide.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Ever consider thinclients as a development platform?
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Cool info. I often wondered how this was sorted out.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Actually, I think this experience of UWE demonstrates a more banal concept; that you only see the value of centralized systems (i.e. IT, HR, PR, R&D, etc) at a large scale. You'd see much more value standardizing the hardware and software of 1000 computers than you would the probably dozen or so that UWE use.
  • Tems81Tems81 Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178014Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is that a GTX 590 in the second internal view picture
  • SounDWavE1SounDWavE1 Join Date: 2005-02-06 Member: 40096Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Run 3DMark 2011 or summit I wanna see numbers :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Overclocked out the wazoo? How many Ghz?
    What are you on about, this thing doesn't run on mere Gigglehurts, it runs on 1.21 Jigga Watts
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    The Octopus looks ridiculous. We need a photo of it in all its glory.
  • T00byT00by Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158286Members
    edited February 2013
    I like the spoilers of ESL in april, that the next content patch is expected to be in August. It's teh nice!

Edit: Also, remove the edit-link in the post?
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh wow, tidy up those damn cables!

If you are going to buy a new PSU get an OCZ ZX series. They come with 5 Velcro cable ties.
    URL related: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zx-series-850w-1250w-power-supply.html
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I reckon that the full-time employees use all legal software, but what is your policy on part-time employees/hirelings and such?

Also, it is a nice and varied fauna of workstations you have. :)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    VonDoom wrote: »
    I reckon that the full-time employees use all legal software, but what is your policy on part-time employees/hirelings and such?

Also, it is a nice and varied fauna of workstations you have. :)

I'm certain that UWE, like any other computer related company, openly condones and encourages the illegal aquisition and use of software........

.......Are you serious?
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited February 2013
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Adambean wrote: »

If you are going to buy a new PSU get an OCZ ZX series. They come with 5 Velcro cable ties.
    URL related: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zx-series-850w-1250w-power-supply.html
    I'm all for tidy cables as well. However this is a water cooled system, so airflow is near negligible for cooling performance other then near the radiator.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    Tems81 wrote: »
    Is that a GTX 590 in the second internal view picture

There are two pictures of GTX590's in that post... Can you find them both?

There is a ridiculous amount of pre-radiator airflow over the motherboard in that PC (There are 12 120mm's in it), and even the chipset and RAM are watercooled. So cable management is not an issue :). Most of the cabling is hidden under the motherboard, amongst the water pumps.
    SounDWavE1 wrote: »
    Run 3DMark 2011 or summit I wanna see numbers :)

Don't have it installed anymore, but when I first built it I ran the Premiere Pro CS5 benchmark on it, and it came second in the world out of about 1,200 samples.

EDIT: It has since fallen to 9th :(http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php - It's a great benchmark for video editing because it takes into account real-world system interdependencies, not just raw CPU power.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Actually, I think this experience of UWE demonstrates a more banal concept; that you only see the value of centralized systems (i.e. IT, HR, PR, R&D, etc) at a large scale. You'd see much more value standardizing the hardware and software of 1000 computers than you would the probably dozen or so that UWE use.

Probably true. Though their seems to be increased interest in the Bring Your Own Device concept amongst larger organisations...

EDIT: Spelling retardation
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Cool blog update Hugh.

I use a combination of PC and Mac hardware - as much Mac as possible, especially for creative stuff. I also like to work in different places, so a laptop and iPad are awesome for that.

I think the next step is setting a budget for every employee every year and letting them take all purchasing into account themselves. Although I guess that means they are responsible for their own tech support too, which isn't exactly ideal (although our off-site contractors have the same issue).
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    I wouldn't exactly call VIM an IDE, but neat to see someone at UWE is using it. Way to go Steve!
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members

OCZ Power Supply? BARF
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Flayra wrote: »
    I think the next step is setting a budget for every employee every year and letting them take all purchasing into account themselves. Although I guess that means they are responsible for their own tech support too, which isn't exactly ideal (although our off-site contractors have the same issue).

Why yes I'd love to work for your charlie, now about that money for building a new rig....
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I'm all for tidy cables as well. However this is a water cooled system, so airflow is near negligible for cooling performance other then near the radiator.

The OCD among us will still cringe. :)