How can I stop the auto researching of techs

DragonKnightDragonKnight Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71353Members
I don't comm too often. But when I do one odd thing seems to be consistent.
If I click on my obs, it automatically starts researching phase tech. If I click on my arms lab, it automatically starts with armor 1...
Could I be double clicking or something, would that cause it. Or is this some kind of feature? If so how do I stop it...

DK

Comments

• JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    There are little research icons on top of the physical buildings. If you go to select the building you may be accidentally clicking the research keys. For observatories, for example, when you finish building it there will be a phase gate icon over the building. If you click that phase gates will start researching, so when you select your observatory you're probably accidentally clicking that as you go to select it.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    It is also worth noting that you can turn these off on the options menu by switching commander help to off. If you keep clicking on it.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    You probably should research phase tech as soon as possible anyway. :)
  • DragonKnightDragonKnight Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71353Members
    Hot crap... I thought those icons were just hits... didn't know they did anything. My res is set pretty low because my machine is poor, so I wouldn't have known if I acutally clikced on the icon or not... Awesome that I can turn it off. Thanks all.

DK
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I keep thinking that this option should have been disabled from the very beginning, or at least make the icons more visible.

Or just turn the damn things off, they cause more trouble than they're worth.
  • DragonKnightDragonKnight Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71353Members
    Yeah, they feel more like an advanced feature, so you click less, but binding buildings to keys is more advanced... so they are a feature that has no home. If they were just icons... then they would be a good beginner feature.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like them because they are EZ-mode for RTS idiots like me
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I agree the hint icons show up too close to the structure to be helpful to new commanders, making them be clicked unintentionally. Perhaps they are helpful by accident (in that commanders accidentally start upgrading); but the hints should be helping them learn, not tricking them into upgrading.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I always wondered if those could be turned off. Good to know!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Confused wrote: »
    It is also worth noting that you can turn these off on the options menu by switching commander help to off. If you keep clicking on it.
    Yes, you can turn it off @ commander help.