About to buy this game, any reason I shouldn't?

Madcat124Madcat124 Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182878Members
I'm about a hair away from pressing the buy button on Steam. Is the game really worth it?

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Depends on your computer specs, may not run as well as other games. It's very CPU hungry.
  • Madcat124Madcat124 Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182878Members
    I think I can run it. i could run Crysis 1 on high setting and I know that wasn't very well optimized. I know I can run witcher 2 on High as well.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013
    These are his specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit operating system
    8.00 GB of installed memory (RAM)
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ
    The Device info says;
    Name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
    Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6719)
    DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
    Approx total Memory: 1772MB
    Gigabyte 770t-usb3 (REV 1.3) Motherboard

GPU check. Cpu overclock it to 3.8 or 4 GHz and you should be fine.
    Wait, those are my specs... How did you get those?
    And how do I overclock?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I have no idea. I always buy intel cpus so I do not know much about AMD overclocking. Depends on your cooling as well.
    Oh god... that's from when I was having issues with CSGO. Alright. Ill have to look it up.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I have playable fps set on a similar rig. Things should be okay.
    As mentioned, this game loves CPU cycles and as AMD people we both have to deal with a penalty on that front.
    The FX4100 I have gets nice and warm playing this game so watch your temps and you should be fine.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Get the game, seems like you can run it well.
    There's a high learning curve but it gets more and more fun the more you play and learn.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Those specs are definitely good enough to run it. Just don't expect to run it with max settings at +80fps. Also, expect to die fast and hard, a lot. There's a bit of a learning curve. :)
  • azzofkhanazzofkhan Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176076Members
    edited February 2013
    Don't buy this game until they balance it. http://ns2stats.org/
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    edited February 2013
    There's nothing wrong with playing the game even though it is unbalanced. This game is the most multiplayer fun I've had in several years. NS2 is that good. The balance issue is not something the devs are ignoring. They have confirmed it to be a considerable issue and are working to fix it. They are after all trying to push the game into the pro scene and so they have an obvious incentive to make the game as balanced and as high-quality as possible. There has not been an asymmetric game out there that did not have balance issues at launch.

The only potential issue this game has in my mind is its considerable performance issues. Unlike most other games, NS2 is incredibly reliant on the CPU. More so than any other game I've encountered to date. You will have to overclock your CPU to get better performance, but overclocking is pushing the computer part past its factory level of performance. You'll have to spend some time reading up on how to overclock before you do it. It's not something you jump into without getting some background knowledge of first, so I highly recommend you read some how-to's and all that. There's a few things you have to consider when overclocking, the most important part being how far can you push your cpu on the fan that you have. You'll have to get an acceptable temperature. I think you can also disable some of the cores on that 6 core to lower overall temperature levels, but I'm not certain on that. NS2 only uses 2-3 cores.

I have an AMD FX-8120. It's not the fastest cpu out there, but it's able to turbo to 4 gigs and I still get sub 30 fps in large fights in the later game. That's some reference for you there. The 3.2 gigs limitation is going to be noticeable for you.

Having said that, I can't recommend this game enough. It's that good. It's just far too much fun. I've spent a stupid amount of time playing it.
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    wait for sale imo if you buy it. Not worth full price

you can experiment with overclock with amd overdrive. you can probably raise your clock speed +200 +600 mhz with no problem
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I play marines exclusively (for now) because I'm not very good (for now) and marine gameplay is more accessible than alien gameplay.

I die a lot because I'm bad. I lose a lot because marines are disadvantaged, and because teams with me on them have an extra disadvantage.

Even so: I'm enjoying myself tremendously. Balance isn't everything. Balance will get better, I will get better, and in the meantime the game is ridiculously fun anyway. And it's only been getting more fun as I play more, learn more, and get better.
    dota girl wrote: »
    wait for sale imo if you buy it. Not worth full price

you can experiment with overclock with amd overdrive. you can probably raise your clock speed +200 +600 mhz with no problem

Im assuming that's a program for easily overclocking my processor?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    azzofkhan wrote: »

Aaah, don't be so negative. The game is still tons of fun, regardless of the 60/40 winrate in favor of aliens.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members

Go away negative nancy.

• deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    My wife's computer is a 1090T with a GTX 470 and it runs the game pretty well. You'll probably see down to 30 FPS in late game if there are a lot of flamethrowers around, but other than that performance is pretty good. That's at the stock clock setting as I found the 1090T to be a bit difficult to get a stable OC with. That probably has more to do with the motherboard and BIOS though.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Yeah, 3 posts all of which are flagged for trolling, and down voting every one above yours give your opinion a lot of weight.
    [-(