Server rental / Australia

AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
hey guys, a mate is trying rent a 24p server but there are hardly any options available for australia? multiplaygameservers.com seems to be the only company that offers servers for australia atm? or am i missing something?

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hypernia or multiplay

We have enough shitty 24 player servers so I urge you to get him to reconsider. It's bad enough with GON trolling the ausns2 community with their terrible servers that are always full.
  • peacekeeperdpeacekeeperd Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175687Members
    we could def use more quality servers, the gon and uwe server ticks get pretty low, which only leaves a few others
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Do humanity a favor and rent a 16-18 player server instead.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    hus wrote: »
    Do humanity a favor and rent a 16-18 player server instead.

that's not the point. The point is that there are no Australian server hosts that does NS2 atm. multiplaygameservers.com is the only one that does.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    You should be able to see several official UWE Australian servers, are they not showing up? Or always full? Or poor performance?
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I've found the au UWE official servers perform well other than the ping from West Aus. They just need turn on consistency checking to stop the neon colored aliens horse$#|t.

Amb, you getting NBN any time soon? You could host your own server if so. (just don't make it a 24 slot one) :-p
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127178/official-server-request-western-australia#latest

• peacekeeperdpeacekeeperd Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175687Members
    Make it whatever size you want, if you don't like 24p put up your own time and money.
    You should be able to see several official UWE Australian servers, are they not showing up? Or always full? Or poor performance?

They show up, but get poor performance end game
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    The AU market is already saturated with empty servers.
    Monash outperforms any of them by far and wide. You then have a bunch of official servers which also hold up well.
    The rest is pretty much forgettable. So unless you plan on somehow drawing the population from the 4-5 full servers each night and having performance equal to that of an official box, I don't see the point tbh.
  • Taz-Taz- Australia Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23597Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have to agree that the current Australian server list is saturated, but primarily by games.on.net and UWE official servers, which are not up to the task. Both exhibit rubber banding under load.

There are enough other servers to serve the community if these were to go away however (Monash, AusNS2, Kid's servers, etc..)
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's still early days too. I'm not sure the Australian community has figured out what it wants, server wise, yet.

There's plenty of servers for casual players to drop in, and many regular pubbers are still figuring out where they prefer to play.

I'd have a wait and see approach on this one.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited February 2013
    Taz- wrote: »
    I have to agree that the current Australian server list is saturated, but primarily by games.on.net and UWE official servers, which are not up to the task. Both exhibit rubber banding under load.

There are enough other servers to serve the community if these were to go away however (Monash, AusNS2, Kid's servers, etc..)

Yes IGN should hang their head in shame....seriosuly they used to offer some of the better servers going around....I blame iinet merger (as I cant think of something else to blame it on...ideas?)

UWE official are not bad but only being 16 players means games are often 4 v 4 which is crappy.
    Cull the number of servers and increase size (assuming they can cope at a similar level to monash...else leave them as is).

One Network in Nzud and Monash both offer good servers (with monash being the bee's knee's of servers) at player counts up to and including 24+.

Taz- wrote: »
    I have to agree that the current Australian server list is saturated

because those servers are sh!t, majority of pub players want to play in big games (aka 20+)

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    There is no reason to get Multiplay if you want to attempt mods. Even if clients could get into modded servers without getting kicked to main menu, they offer no FTP or command line access. Wouldn't use Hypernia if you honestly want 24 slots either due to lower specs.

Oh and Multiplay prices are insane, no ability to auto update servers either. (And they're never updated when a patch goes live).
    Stay away.
    UWE might as well shut down like half of their servers cuz ppl don't even join them.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    The only GON/internode server that fails badly is the 24p one, I haven't seen the UWE servers dip below 100% for weeks.

Would be cool to see more community ones but from what I understand there's only 2 companies that host and they both suck dick, I wish Kid would bring back the 100 player server or 48 player server, that is definitely the way to play NS2.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Xao wrote: »
    The only GON/internode server that fails badly is the 24p one, I haven't seen the UWE servers dip below 100% for weeks.

Would be cool to see more community ones but from what I understand there's only 2 companies that host and they both suck dick, I wish Kid would bring back the 100 player server or 48 player server, that is definitely the way to play NS2.

Have played on IGN (damnit I am old and stuck in my ways...I still call telstra telecom) 16 players and they would have server ticks dropping down to sub 20 in combat.

Endar through Monash has put up the best servers I have played on....when endar when a little mad and opened it up to 100 players we finally saw the stresstest of monash (from memory they dropped to 15-20 ticks with 60-70 odd players....I have seen IGN 16 players return this sort of tick rate.
    Saddens me to see nodes gaming servers deliver such poor performance...they used to be some of the best servers in aus.

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I really wanted to host a server, but terrible internet availability has prevented me from doing so. Hypernia hosts ns2, but they run the game on servers designed for counter strike source and thus get terrible performance.
  • PeppermintNightmarePeppermintNightmare Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182743Members
    What we need is a couple more high performance 18 players. It's a good number for pub as you usually get a few people leave at the end of each round, having 18 means you've usually got enough to start a good game and attract new players looking for a slot. NS2 in Australia seems either totally full or totally empty.

I just auto-retry monash #1.