Need clarification when playing Marine Comm

ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
When you have an observatory in a base, shouldn't you be able to see any Aliens that are in your base and within range of the obs when comming?

Whenever I play marine comm, I do not see any aliens that are in my base even when there is an observatory. The only way I can actually see them is if I do a scan or if some marines come to base.

It makes it much harder for me to detect when aliens are attacking my base when no marines are present.

Comments

• kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I think you see some white circles indicating a lifeform or a cyst in obs range.

I had something like that (white circle) just yesterday right next to my arms lab. I hovered over the lab and saw that it was attacked... was a lerk sitting there... no alarm or map indicator though... weird.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Indicators are behaving wierdly in recent builds. God help you if your power is getting biled.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    It has been acting weird lately. One was placed in Locker Room, just north of the RT, along with an Arc next to the Powernode. It did not show the alien forward base (x2 crag, x1 shift, x3 hydras), sitting south of the door to ball court.
  • Spiker101Spiker101 Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148869Members
    thefonz wrote: »
    Indicators are behaving wierdly in recent builds. God help you if your power is getting biled.

Some times the structure getting attacked warming doesnt work...Like the power half a second from down before the game tell me my structure is being attacked.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Happens so many times...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    Its known and there is a bug report regarding this issue that is being actively worked on.
    :)
    A good priority system is in order, thats for sure
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Happens so many times...

I actually lost my longest match as marine commander thus far due to that. We fought for 90 minutes and the game could easily have gone on for another 20 if it wasn't for a Skulk attacking the main power and the game not telling me about it at all before it was already down.

• Spiker101Spiker101 Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148869Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Happens so many times...

I actually lost my longest match as marine commander thus far due to that. We fought for 90 minutes and the game could easily have gone on for another 20 if it wasn't for a Skulk attacking the main power and the game not telling me about it at all before it was already down.

Happened sooo many times. Sometimes I am questioning if it is map/server specific problem. Because one game it was doing good, then the next I NEVER tell me early enough, and it happened like 6 times (i actually specifically watched for it!)

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    ironhorse wrote: »
    Its known and there is a bug report regarding this issue that is being actively worked on.
    :)
    A good priority system is in order, thats for sure

Amen
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Most of the time when I lose a game as a marine comm it's because my power got bile bombed and I didn't know. I love that.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    I just wanted to clarify that the issue I'm talking about is not about warning indicators when an alien is attacking a structure, but about aliens being within range of an observatory and the aliens not showing up when they are within range.

It happens 100% of the time when I comm and I'm not sure if that is supposed to be like that or not.

Are aliens supposed to show up as a white circle only if a obs is in range when comming? or should you actually see the alien model if the obs is in range?
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Most of the time when I lose a game as a marine comm it's because my power got bile bombed and I didn't know. I love that.
    You can make groups pressing CTRL+0, CTRL+1 etc. If your group is under attack - icon become red. So you can group most important powernodes and get warning immediately.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    100% noticable, it seems as soon as aliens are on top of other marine structures they lose their red dot status on your map, you can watch red dots run into your base and just disappear and only re-appear if they trip the alert status off.

I've got into a habit of scanning whenever I see 1-3 dots coming into a base, I'd rather be down 3 tres than a power node. Silence will not trip the alert status too, I believe you sometimes get that red flashing structure but no audio or visual cue after that.

Control groups are only handy if you train yourself to watch them and they're pretty opaque along the top of your screen.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uzver wrote: »
    You can make groups pressing CTRL+0, CTRL+1 etc. If your group is under attack - icon become red. So you can group most important powernodes and get warning immediately.

I learned something
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I am sure you should be able to see them on the mini map
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Res wrote: »
    I just wanted to clarify that the issue I'm talking about is not about warning indicators when an alien is attacking a structure, but about aliens being within range of an observatory and the aliens not showing up when they are within range.

It happens 100% of the time when I comm and I'm not sure if that is supposed to be like that or not.

Are aliens supposed to show up as a white circle only if a obs is in range when comming? or should you actually see the alien model if the obs is in range?

I only see a white circle if an alien is within range of an obs from comm mode.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    a lot of times the rines lose in pub games because they donno their base is getting raped. Aliens don't have this problem cuz the hive screams like a SOB, you can hear it from galaxy far far away.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    edited February 2013
    Bile bomb is the biggest problem in the game right now.

It is totally op for its cost. If a few gorges run into an empty base they can have the power down ridiculously fast. And even if you manage to notice the attack right away and get back in time to kill them, they'll just re-gorge and do it again because gorges are so freaking cheap.

Not sure how they can fix this. Either make gorges more expensive or straight up nerf it. Perhaps not letting bile bombs stack so that three gorge's biling do no more damage than one.