At what point did you start getting good?

WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
At what Hour mark on your steam counter you started noticing your a lot better than the typical pubber?

In a team oriented game like Ns2 'good' can be a bit subjective thing because even a high KD rambo isn't likely beat a team that synergises well. Whether it be lots of kills, good team coordination, things just going your way in a given situation, or perhaps a mixture of these. What do you classify as good?

For me i'm not even close to good. :(
61 hrs

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I don't like to rate myself, but between the original NS and NS2 it's thousands of hours...

PS: You aren't terrible weasel, we've played together.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    I'd say after a few hundred hours. I'm now at almost 500 though performance, particularly lategame, tends to screw me over regularly :(. As marines, I think a good player is one that is able to individually damage the alien economy and has an aim that is good enough to reliably take out single or double skulks coming after him. To me that is good because not only can that marine aim well, he also completely understands what is needed for his side to win the game. Usually you only need 1 - 2 like him while the rest of the team just builds and pressures the frontlines.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    The moment I was conceived.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    For most properly competitive FPS games, I have guesstimated that it takes 200 hours to be a pub-star, 400 hours to be competent, 800 hours to be competitive, 1,000+ hrs to master the game.
    By properly competitive, I mean fairness in all respects (no unlocks or perks based on rank progression, little to no skill abstraction).

This is based on anecdotal evidence in most of the games I have played. I note who is better than me in a game, see how many hours they have, and compare that based on my own performance.

For example, in XYZ game I may kick ass on a pub with 200 hours, but some guy comes along with 500 hours and kicks my ass (and everyone on the server). And once I get to 500 hours I can beat him, but have trouble with 800hr players, and get owned by 1000hr players.

Of course it depends on the player getting the proper experience. For example, a 2,000 hr TF2 player that actually sucks because he/she has not played beyond instant-respawn idle/trade servers.

And let's not forget the "official" time for truly mastering any given skill on a worldwide level is 10,000 hours. (It was in some book somewhere).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    I haven't become better at games in years. I am simply already good enough to stand my ground against any typical pubber in most games out there, due to having played games for the past 15 years. B-)
    If a game has some depth to it, I usually also watch some videos about it first before I even go into my first match, so I already know my way around. This way I won every single one of my first 50 matches that I played in SMNC, so I dare to say that it works.

It's a miracle to me that many players dive right into their first online match without having even looked at the setting menu of the game.
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    When I popped out of the womb.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    Some people also simply don't become better no matter how many hours they play, player skill can very well flatline over time once they've reached what is essentially a cognitive 'ceiling'. This is very apparent imo in games like DOTA 2.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xarius wrote: »
    Some people also simply don't become better no matter how many hours they play, player skill can very well flatline over time once they've reached what is essentially a cognitive 'ceiling'. This is very apparent imo in games like DOTA 2.

Well, in DOTA 2 it is more about mastering the skill abstraction mechanics present (leveling up your character faster than the other guy and knowing which characters/abilities work in certain situations) rather than pure mechanical skill. It's similar to some MMORPGs, where once you reach max-level there really isn't much you can do besides click and win. A much lower level-player can't beat you no matter how "skilled" he is at the mechanics.

I'm not a fan of that sort of game design.

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    At what Hour mark on your steam counter you stated noticing your a lot better than the typical pubber? .... What do you classify as good?

1. I couldn't say an hour mark. I could have played for 1000 hours and still not be decent. I could have gone >10 hours and gain enough of an understanding to be good. I played NS1 both pub and competitively, so I had a great start for NS2. I think I started getting good, in NS1, when I stopped playing so defensively. When I started playing more aggressively, I was more confident and would use the map to my advantage. The Equilibrium pistol skin (pistol sound mod) and an LMG skin may have helped too. :D

2. For comms, it's when they can micro and macro effortless while staying ahead of their team. For players, it's abusing the maps, being effective in their role, and able to work with the team. A lot of players are only capable of doing one, some two, less all three.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    When the game went from beta to release is about when most of us were better than the average pub player
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    I don't like to rate myself, but between the original NS and NS2 it's thousands of hours...

PS: You aren't terrible weasel, we've played together.
    Straight up combat i'm not that great. But I do use a lot of common sense, walk on walls/ceilings kill upgrades first, tell/wait for teammates to group up before an attack, Power is free to repair, everything else isn't.

Also I think it has to do with the fact that I started playing when the game is still fairly new, bar beta play testers and ns1 vets, when most people really don't know what they are doing too. I jumped on the wagon when every one else did pretty much. Rather than playing in a game with an already 'established' community like SC2 & TF2
  • BageesiacBageesiac Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58596Members
    I thought I was "good" in pubs. Then went 1 for 17 against NorCal on Friday Night Stream! Love it!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    I pretty much only play on 1 server that has a lot of regular players... so it's not filled with your typical "pub player"... so can't really rate myself on the OP's question.

Even with that in mind, on average I'm usually higher up on the scoreboard than most other people when playing Marines. Playing Aliens is a whole other ball game for me. As a marine I tend to go out on my own more and still do well.... as Aliens I have a habit of playing the same way as I do a marine and going out on my own, doesn't work as well on the alien side.

What really determined when I became better in NS2 is more based on learning strategy, maps and tactics than anything else. I would say it took about ~100-150 hours to learn those, especially learning the maps without having to bring up the map layout all the time.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    As a marine when you can confidently walk to Stability Monitoring/Maintenance by yourself and kill res consistently.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    134 Hours and counting, I am still an average pubber. I know not to munch powenodes in the beginning, attack res and so on. I feel like I have a good grasp of strategy and I understand tactics but I am just garbage in a fire fight. I am learning to play the higher life forms but for now if the game isn't solidly in our teams hands you will see me forgoing the shotgun as a marine and sticking to skulk or gorge if there aren't to many as alien. I feel like I have done a lot of research to try and get better but ultimately working a 60+ hours a week just hasn't afforded me the game time I need to be awesomesauce.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    500+ hours and I'm pretty good on both sides. I still tend to overshoot shadowstepping fades frequently. -.- You can't really measure performance with number of hours played, though. Someone may not have done their research on optimizing game settings like sensitivity and they won't reach their maximum potential even at 1000 hours played. I played NS1 quite a bit as a teen, but I was only average at best due to bad hardware and improper software settings, as well as a lack of knowledge. Perhaps pubstars and competitive players from other FPS games require less time to become good at NS2, but the asymmetrical mechanics, map layouts, etc. are enough to still require a bit of time to learn.

It's not that hard to become a good team player if you already have good aim. Just stick with teammates and try your best to protect them as a marine - hopefully they'll do the same. Make a friend and stick together as a pair in servers - the two of you might be more effective than a group of disorganized players. One must not downplay the usefulness of lone wolves, though. Harass RTs while the opposing team focuses elsewhere, ninja a PG, snipe some upgrades, etc. Challenge yourself from time to time by lone wolfing and you might eventually find yourself going toe-to-toe in disadvantageous situations, e.g. 1v2 and 1v3. There's always a place and time for both methods of gameplay.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members

so like public?

when i had no graphiccard and only playing with the integrated one 40-15fps; 1-7 stats
    when i got my gtx 660 ti and i got 200-80 fps; 3:2 stats
    when i took my old CRT monitor back on the desk and lowered my sens from 6 to 2 (at raw input@1800 dpi) i did a 30-2 and never played public again. (just two times a co_ map...)
  • Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    derWalter wrote: »
    so like public?

when i had no graphiccard and only playing with the integrated one 40-15fps; 1-7 stats
    when i got my gtx 660 ti and i got 200-80 fps; 3:2 stats
    when i took my old CRT monitor back on the desk and lowered my sens from 6 to 2 (at raw input@1800 dpi) i did a 30-2 and never played public again. (just two times a co_ map...)

Agree that hardware plays an incredibly big part of getting better at this game (or any).
    Never thought of really fine-tuning my mouse sensitivity though. I've got a G500, so it's not too bad, I'll check it out.

As for me, I still suck with almost everything and I've got around 212 hours in so far.
    I'm a decent marine with LMG. Sub-par with shotgun (never use it though).
    I'm above average with skulk. I'm just average with gorge (I can't believe how good some battle-gorges are). I just started getting lerks now and then, still suck at it. I'm an awful fade.
    I'm an average onos.

Average com as well.

My saving grace, I'm a good strategist and team player. Ninja PG, hit and run, get a beacon, communicate well.

But I find the game to be so incredibly different if you're playing lerk or fade, that you simply need to put in a lot of time in every life-form.

You could be the best marine in the world, but if you don't invest time in the fade, you'll be dead in less than 2 seconds.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited February 2013
    I got a new pc 3 weeks ago that changed things for me. Went from getting 15-25 fps to 75-120 in average combat. I don't do bad these days but I have like 500 hrs in; however, only 100 with above 20 fps :). Honestly though its not all about K:D to be a aid. even if you are a 1:1 player if you understand where you should be when at the very least you are helping your team by soaking up bullets. I would rather have a 1:10 guy who was always right by my side going into combat then a a 1:1 guy who runs around doing his own thing the whole game.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I suddenly got much much better at around the 550 hour mark. This was also when I started playing on local servers.

WHO KNEW RIGHT
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I got good when the influx of new players made me look good. It was a glorious time.
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    edited February 2013
    I had more than 1,500 hours of playtime on NS, and I think I became good at ~150/200 hours. I remember I was an absolutely terrible player when I first started playing NS; I couldn't aim for shit and I had so much trouble controlling the Alien lifeforms it was laughable. I usually just chilled and played support Gorge and dropped the Hives. After that I became quite good as a Skulk, Lerk, Fade and as a Marine, especially with a SG, and I kept practising. Last time I played NS I got absolutely demolished by dux though. :D

As for NS2, I have ~140 hours of playtime (I had a computer that was so bad before I just couldn't play correctly, I had an average of 15-20 fps) and I had to re-learn how to play the Skulk since I found myself dying so many times. I'm still a terror with the shotgun and I usually and easily rank first on pubs when I play Fade or early Lerk.
  • rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
    When I overclocked my cpu to 4.5ghz.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't know when this happened, but now I look at 90% of players and asking myself "WTF ARE THESE GUYS DOING? OMG WHY ARE THEY S STUPID?" and I continue raging on any not perfect move of my teammates.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    When I started playing like I wanted to be better.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    I'm at 289 hours but that includes map editor time which is probably between 80 and 160 hours (I don't keep track). Even after all this time, I play with very inconsistent skill. I can be at the bottom of the charts for the first 5 minutes, 0 kills and 7 deaths, everyone on my team thinks I'm a curse, and by the end of the round I'm top 3. Some games I can pull off a 3:1 or 5:1 K/D ratio and some games it is closer to 1:1 or 1:2. Depends largely on everyone else's skill and how well they are working together.

I usually play with a "don't sit around" mentality. I rush everything, to heck with the odds, and it usually gets me killed (I lose a lot of higher life forms and expensive marine equipment this way). I've been getting better about this, learning when to run away, not to evolve lerk, what I absolutely shouldn't rush in to, and that sort of thing. But I'm still no good at staying alive. I often have more than the average number of deaths. That said, I frequently end up with a respectable number of kills and the highest score too (or close to it) at the end of a round.

Some games I'll even go 10:1 and people start accusing me of hacking. But I imagine that happens to most players with 200+ hours once in a while.

-- As for commanding, I've done that enough times. I know my way around the interfaces and abilities, I use my mic, and I don't ignore my team. But I'm a terrible strategist (when I played Starcraft 2 online I lost every game against the other bottom-feeders). Fortunately in NS2 pubs the commander doesn't have to be the leader, so it all works out just fine.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ^Yeah I have to say I'm inconsistent too... Though I tend to do better more often than not.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    At what Hour mark on your steam counter you started noticing your a lot better than the typical pubber?

In a team oriented game like Ns2 'good' can be a bit subjective thing because even a high KD rambo isn't likely beat a team that synergises well. Whether it be lots of kills, good team coordination, things just going your way in a given situation, or perhaps a mixture of these. What do you classify as good?

For me i'm not even close to good. :(
    61 hrs

I figure I will get a steam badge when that day finally gets here.....

A good player cares not about K:D, has a sound knowledge of maps, strats and can shut up and listen.
    Throw in a little bit of aiming skill and you could field a good team of clones.

Most of the better players I have seen dont go 40:2 but closer to 20:23, they are smart enough to know that dieing at times is worth it (especially if you take out a harvester/armslab).

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    once you know the maps inside and out you suddenly start knowing the best hiding places as an alien and the best palces to check as a marine, also getting down the jump spam and having high sensitivity as aliens.

i imagine as soon as decent releases im gonig to suck until i know the map.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    When I overclocked my CPU.