Populating a server

nicholmikeynicholmikey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165281Members
Hello,

I run the server with "NS2Commander" in its name. It used to be pretty easy to get my server populated, but for the last 3 weeks no one seems to join. From my location I get a great ping (it's a Chicago server). Are you guys seeing a bad ping for that server?

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited February 2013
    Not sure about ping or anything, but in my experience it's not easy to fill a server. You need to reach a tipping point before it fills up, and reaching that point is just plain hard. I wonder how many players are sitting around refreshing the server browser trying to join full servers while lots of servers stays empty.

There really should be some kind of warm-up mini-game in NS2 on all maps, like target practice or final stand vs Skulk bots or whatever until the server reaches the minimum players required for a decent classic game, at which point the players are teleported back to the RR without a map change so they can join teams and get a game going immediately.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I jump on my server with 4 of my friends and then it starts filling from there. try getting some of your regs on at one time :)
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry that I can not join your server :( if it's Chicago, I live in EU so for me the ping would be very high
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I have noticed that once the player number is 5-7, a new client connects less than every minute, IF the average global player numbers are increasing in that part of the world.

I live in Sweden in EU, though, and by pinging your server it gives me 156 ms, no more than the average of American servers.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I looked at it. It's 24 player, which is awful gameplay. If it were 18 or 20 or 16 that would be great, because I get good ping. It won't make my favorites list as a 24 though.
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    MrPink wrote: »
    I looked at it. It's 24 player, which is awful gameplay. If it were 18 or 20 or 16 that would be great, because I get good ping. It won't make my favorites list as a 24 though.

Agreed, the maximum slots I'll favorite is 18 personally.

• nicholmikeynicholmikey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165281Members

Set to 18, thanks for the feedback.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members

Set to 18, thanks for the feedback.

NP! I set it on my favorites list, I'll try it later today.