CoD has better hit registration than this game.

Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
I can literally be 4-6 steps away from an Onos and he will still somehow hit me. While I'm jetpacking away from an oncoming Onos, he can still hit me even though we could play hopscotch in the space between us.

Marines are vastly under powered until Weapons #2-3 and Armor #1, and then they go in to god mode. That is, if they can hold enough extractors to get enough res for everything that they need just to survive.

Carapace on Alien side is useless after Marines get Weapons #2+, maybe even after Weapons #1.

Fades are a hit or miss. Good Fades are OP, bad Fades die too easily for 50 Res to 2 shotgun blasts. Something needs to be done, but I can't think of what.

Gorgies are OP for everything that they can do and only costing 10 Res. Nothing on the Marine side even compares.

Cyst chain placement and cutting off can and should be used strategically, but really if I were to cut 1 or 2 cysts in a chain, it would take the next 5 minutes for the extractor to die, and a minute for the cysts to die.

Shotguns. Just... Shotguns. I hate them. I don't buy them as Marine because they're so ridiculously OP.

Shorten the range on the ARCS, so my Deposit hive can be safe from Central Drilling. And Locker Rooms from Bar. A tad bit ridiculous. It encourages way too much turtling on the Marine end.

Do not allow MAC's to repair Marine Armor. They should only be able to repair structures and EXO's. I don't know how many times I've had to micro manage them because they went off playing tag with a Marine who was running back to base to an Armory just so he wouldn't lose his precious Assault Rifle ><

When I put a clip in to a skulk or 2, and I'm reloading, I Alt + Tab and browse Reddit for a bit just to wait for my Marine to finish reloading. Reload time is way too long in relation to how many times I can be bit/swiped/stomped on. Even when I switch to the Magnum in the middle of a fight, my Marine still has to waste time cocking the thing. Let fast reloading be a research or something, but in return lower Weapons Damage upgrades.

Comments

• ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    Eh, I wouldn't mind seeing a skulk armor buff. Consistent one shot shotgun kills to the late game basic alien life form is annoying.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    edited February 2013
    I think onos needs something other than stomp, it feels borderline OP, and pretty silly on the beeftank class.
    Needs a longer CD, or have it do a knockback in addition to a knockdown.
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    The phenomenon that you are describing is caused by "lag compensation". Lag compensation is also the cause of the occasional situation where you move behind cover just in time to avoid being killed but you still end up dying a few milliseconds later anyway. Lag compensation has been a part of all decent multi-player shooter games for more than a decade now and yet players still complain about the same symptoms in every game and put the blame on some alleged "crappy netcode".
    Lag compensation has come a long way since it first reared its' ugly head.
    It's not nearly as horrible as it used to.
    The alternative (a game without lag compensation) is a situation where all players need to shoot well ahead of a moving target rather than directly at it. The distance that players would need to "lead" their targets would be larger if their ping/latency was higher. Essentially, you'd need to shoot at the position where you think the enemy will be by the time your network packets reach the server. This would lead to a remarkably awful game-play experience. In some cases, it would even make it impossible to hit a target. For example, if a Fade used shadow-step to move from one piece of cover to another piece of cover within a shorter span of time than your ping/latency, it would be impossible to hit it.
    Quake 3 is/was a game without lag compensation.
    I don't know if Quake Live has it or not.

It was still a phenomenal, and well balanced game.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited February 2013
    Quoted from http://www.ra.is/unlagged/, about the problems of lag compensation:
    Now is a perfect time to explain the negative efffects. We'll keep going with our current example. What does Xaero see?

If Xaero bothers to look, he sees a rail trail lancing empty space at his red position, while he's at the rightmost blue position. That's not going to look right. So there's one problem, but it's only visual.

Now imagine, instead of Xaero flying through the air, he's dodging around a corner. His position on the server (and also his predicted position) is around the corner, safe. He sees a rail trail beside him, and it hits him anyway. Whether that's a visual problem or a gameplay problem depends on Xaero's intent.

Next, imagine Xaero is “dodging” your rail attacks by timing them, and jumping to one side when he thinks you'll fire. He jumps, and would normally have dodged your attack. But he's backward reconciled to where he was when you saw him, and is hit. That's a gameplay problem.

These problems seem different on the outset, but they're really all the same thing: Xaero's movement effectively has latency added to it with respect to getting hit by instant-hit weapons.

Here's why I don't think it's usually an issue:

It's not hard to adjust to. Whatever Xaero was going to do to protect himself from an instant-hit attack, he should simply do it sooner. That's very feasible in almost every situation.
    It's almost unnoticeable, and extremely easy to adjust to, when everyone on a server is pinging within 100ms or so of each other. That's almost always the case on a public server, and even more so in a competition.
    In exchange for a little bother, you get instant-hit weapons that don't lose their effectiveness with higher pings. This will affect some mods more than others, of course – mainly realism mods with all those nifty guns.
    You can't really “dodge” an instant-hit attack anyway. Yes, you can time rail shots and all that, but I'm talking about seeing one coming and doing something about it after you know it's coming. (Incidentally, that's exactly why Unlagged doesn't include lag compensation for projectile weapons: you can dodge those.)
    The low pinger still has either 1) every advantage, or 2) an exactly fair fight with the high pinger.

Here's where I think it may not be optimal:

In a competition environment where the ping spread is greater than 100
    In mods where movement is important enough with respect to aim
    Last time I checked, movement was pretty important for the aliens in NS.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    The hitreg in this game is extremely spotty. I hate call of duty, but if they did anything right, it's hitreg and hit notifications. That's a lot of angry disagreers I see under the OP too.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    edited February 2013
    Lets not forget that COD is a multimillion dollar game and NS2 is an indie game.

Also, lets not forget CoD had hyears to improve the game, did anyone play the first call of duty? I did.

Less crying more putting things into perspective, time sovles everything, weve seen from UWE that they take things seriously, last hotfix anyone? yeah, interrupting sleep to fix a problem ona game, not many devs do that nowdays do they?

Also, alt tab while reloading and browsing reddit? you sir, are ridiculous, come back with a valid argument and we may, just MAY give a crap about what you have to say, until then, toodles.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    DamDSx wrote: »
    Lets not forget that COD is a multimillion dollar game and NS2 is an indie game.

Also, lets not forget CoD had hyears to improve the game, did anyone play the first call of duty? I did.

Less crying more putting things into perspective, time sovles everything, weve seen from UWE that they take things seriously, last hotfix anyone? yeah, interrupting sleep to fix a problem ona game, not many devs do that nowdays do they?

Also, alt tab while reloading and browsing reddit? you sir, are ridiculous, come back with a valid argument and we may, just MAY give a crap about what you have to say, until then, toodles.

It doesn't take a multi-billion dollar corporation to produce good netcode.

UWE is fantastic at trying to resolve problems quickly. I will never stop being critical however, of their choice to program an engine in LUA. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed a team that size produced an engine of this quality on the budget they had. I do think, however, they would have been better off investing that time in money in working off an existing engine like Unreal or Source.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer

UWE is fantastic at trying to resolve problems quickly. I will never stop being critical however, of their choice to program an engine in LUA. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed a team that size produced an engine of this quality on the budget they had. I do think, however, they would have been better off investing that time in money in working off an existing engine like Unreal or Source.

This is a nitpick, but the engine itself isn't in LUA; the game code is written in LUA and processed by the engine (which is, I believe, compiled C++). Think of it kind of like a virtual machine.
    Yeah, well, that is too late and not our call to make, they have to work with what they built and they are doing so.

It does not take a multi billion dollar corporation to create a good netcode, no, but it does take a multi billion dollar corporation to have a numerous team working on a feature.

UWE could not and still cannot afford (I think) to have teams the size of the big companies (we are talking over 100 people working on a game on some cases)

So yeah, things like this happen, I knew it when I got in it, I dont complain. I do expect them to see them fix at one point, but they are what? 6 people working on a game this size? even then theyve put out more patches than most AAA games in a matter of 3 months.

All im saying is, look at the big picture, they are doing good, things will get fixed soon enough, im sure they are aware of the issues and they are or will be working on things soon.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    If you are experiencing massive lag compensation, like you are describing, you should play on servers with lower ping! There is also a possibility that the onos that killed you had a very high ping compared to you. This is the reason why you should put high ping kicking scripts on game servers. This will, if set correctly, reduce these issues by 20-50 %. It will never eliminate the issues, only make them at most barely noticeable.

It all comes down to the balance of the intensiveness of Lag Compensation effects V.S. how many players with high pings are not allowed to play on the server, i.e. auto-kicked.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    High ping players is only one issue. Most players with low ping still manage to shit up the game because they have low fps and thus terrible lagged movements and attacks.
    Nice, so Im an issue? I play with 150-200 ping, I live in south america and I despise people here, so I play in US servers (born in Uruguay, raised in good ol NY, back in Uruguay now).

According to you I am to be punshied because of this problem, that is just terrific. I shouldve payed less than you if I was to not be allowed to play on the servers I choose to play
    edited February 2013
    If you think having hundreds of programmers work on an engine is a good idea, you dont seem to know a lot about software development. UWE showed they can get it done with 2 people in like 2 years. It is not perfect but considering it is their first engine, it is an amazing feat.

Considering lag compensation, im happy to see that you ignored my quote from the documentation of the first lagcompensation mod on the Quake 3 engine where the problems you described are already assumed to occure. Additionally that dude warned about using lag compesation "In mods where movement is important enough with respect to aim"

Since movement is a vital part of alien skill, lag compensation in NS is very detrimental to the gameplay.

@DamDSx: No, you should not be punished as in kicked/banned but you should have to play with disadvantage compared to players who have less ping, not the other way around.
    edited February 2013
    bERt0r wrote: »
    If you think having hundreds of programmers work on an engine is a good idea, you dont seem to know a lot about software development. UWE showed they can get it done with 2 people in like 2 years. It is not perfect but considering it is their first engine, it is an amazing feat.

Considering lag compensation, im happy to see that you ignored my quote from the documentation of the first lagcompensation mod on the Quake 3 engine where the problems you described are already assumed to occure. Additionally that dude warned about using lag compesation "In mods where movement is important enough with respect to aim"

Since movement is a vital part of alien skill, lag compensation in NS is very detrimental to the gameplay.

I do know about software development, as I am in IT business, you obviously do not know how a well managed team works, or your software development knowledge and experience is limited to home brewed software.

Big companies have set guidelines as to programming techniques, work load delegation, etc. Ive seen this first hand at TATA consultancy services (indian company who does software related work here in uruguay http://www.tcs.com/Pages/default.aspx ) and it works quite well, as long as all code is written in the same way, complement eachother and there is a good team piecing it together, you wont have a problem. then again, this takes a crapton of time to coordinate and outline the software and the indended use, specially if it is a big one. so yeah, I think I do know a bit about what im talking about, it just takes some brain to make something like this work.

Of course 2 people cna write an entire engine, one person could write the engine on his own, does that ensure quality work? of course not.

Also, I did not ignore anything, I chose not to comment on it, is that a problem now? or should I reply in detail to everything you say like I actually care? sorry, but that is not how it works. Besides, what you are saying has been beaten to death on these forums many times over, and im not about to give that horse another blow.

So, basically I should simply be punished for living far away, having payed the same amount of money, I agree this happens everywhere, I never wrapped my head around it, I played wow for years and I adapted to lag and performed on par with people with little or no lag, WIll this give me a chance to outplay lag and not be at a disadvantage? I dont know.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »

"Very detrimental" is a very big exaggeration. The only place in NS2 where lag compensation can occasionally be perceived is with roosting Lerks getting destroyed before they have a chance to fly away. Other than that, it's imperceptible and the alternative is surely far less desirable.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    Marines are vastly under powered until Weapons #2-3 and Armor #1, and then they go in to god mode. That is, if they can hold enough extractors to get enough res for everything that they need just to survive.
    Un-upgraded marines are just as powerful as un-upgraded skulks, and while a fully upgraded marine can tear apart a fully upgraded skulk, the aliens don't stay skulks forever...
    Carapace on Alien side is useless after Marines get Weapons #2+, maybe even after Weapons #1.
    Fades are a hit or miss. Good Fades are OP, bad Fades die too easily for 50 Res to 2 shotgun blasts. Something needs to be done, but I can't think of what.
    Carapace definitely needs a buff! It should at least take one extra shotgun blast to kill someone with carapace (more for Onos of course).

If that makes carapace too powerful early-on, then perhaps additional armor should be applied for each living hive...
    Gorgies are OP for everything that they can do and only costing 10 Res. Nothing on the Marine side even compares.
    I like the cost right where it is. Gorge is the only life form that makes you give up your front teeth and it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive like all the other evolves.
    Shorten the range on the ARCS, so my Deposit hive can be safe from Central Drilling. And Locker Rooms from Bar. A tad bit ridiculous. It encourages way too much turtling on the Marine end.
    Those are problems with the maps. If you shorten ARC range enough to compensate for both of those, you'll have made them useless.
    Do not allow MAC's to repair Marine Armor. They should only be able to repair structures and EXO's. I don't know how many times I've had to micro manage them because they went off playing tag with a Marine who was running back to base to an Armory just so he wouldn't lose his precious Assault Rifle ><
    You should try being a marine welding another marine... It is not unlike trying to give your pets a bath.
    When I put a clip in to a skulk or 2, and I'm reloading, I Alt + Tab and browse Reddit for a bit just to wait for my Marine to finish reloading. Reload time is way too long in relation to how many times I can be bit/swiped/stomped on. Even when I switch to the Magnum in the middle of a fight, my Marine still has to waste time cocking the thing. Let fast reloading be a research or something, but in return lower Weapons Damage upgrades.
    Shift-tab and use the steam browser. Its faster.

But in all seriousness, reload time is fine and it provides a much-needed opening for skulks to jump in.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    The Disagree and Flag counters are awesome.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I think it is a2, but okay ...
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    I ran into this guy on a server last night, and he was bad, explains why he complains.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    One thing that isn't mentioned here, but has been mentioned before. The aliens move a lot faster than players in other games, making this issue a bit more obvious, while the underlying lag compensation is basically the same
    @DamDSx Then I wish you good luck splitting up the code of an engine into modules and developing them independently. Coding an engine is a creative process, things like physics calculation can be sourced out but the core, the engine, is hard to split up. What you do in your company as far as i read is providing IT-services for businesses - Business IT. That's a completly different field of work. Also, as you correctly said, the more people you have working, the more people you need to organize those people and there is more room for mistakes.
    Anyway, I dont intend to have a discussion about software engineering with you on this forum and I will ignore your flamebait. Have a good day.
    Narfwak wrote: »

This is a nitpick, but the engine itself isn't in LUA; the game code is written in LUA and processed by the engine (which is, I believe, compiled C++). Think of it kind of like a virtual machine.

You are right about that, yet i do not see the purpose in the LUA, at all. I'm not a programmer or something, by any stretch, but I would think that one of the things you'd want to do is keep things as simple as possible, and as efficient as possible. I don't see how having one language interpret another when you could have just used the one language. I use VMs constantly in and off work/school, and while I see the usefulness of it, it's never quite the same as far as performance. I just don't see the logic behind the design choices made as far as engine and performance.
    Flamebait? missed by a long shot. you are obviously talking about programming an engine, something very specific. you should know that programming goes well beyond engines. I never said I programmed, I said ive seen how a big coding team works, you misinterpreted everything I said and twisted in a way that would allow you to formulate an irrelevant answer like the one above.

The medical field has a name for things like that, you know?
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bp2008 wrote: »
    Those are problems with the maps.

"Problems" in the eyes of some. Legitimate strategies in the eyes of others.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013

Yeah, it was kinda written in C++, the game code is in LUA to make it widely open to modding.

That decision obviously makes the game run a bit slower but I've heard rumors Max's "Rocket" may speed things up a bit if it ever makes it in!
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I'm not a programmer or something, by any stretch, but I would think that one of the things you'd want to do is keep things as simple as possible, and as efficient as possible.

These are unfortunately typically mutually exclusive in development. The faster something becomes, the less accessible and more complicated it becomes.

In my honest opinion, I think Charlie was looking back at the halcyon period of gaming, when the best games around were all made by guys in their basement, simply modding the half life engine. Its an admirable thing to want to bring back, but I think that those times are gone forever. Gaming has since been corrupted by the mainstream, and nobody will be putting the kind of time and effort into making high quality games for everyone to play for free.

Strofix, I disagree. There are a lot of indie companies realeasing great games nowadays. And there are a lot of good Free2Play titles out there. Path of Exile, Dota2 anyone?
    There's very few actually good indie games, and even less free. NS2 is a 6/10 game. I love it to death, but it is what it is.