Aliens m41a Pulse Rifle Sound Mod

DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
edited February 2013 in Modding
EDIT: I attached the mod to this post, since someone asked me via PM. Feel free to use and tweak, the source files are included.

Hello,

I was testing some sound implementation stuff for the Sanity Mod when I got the idea to try out the famous Pulse Rifle sound just for fun, since it's a nice challenge to implement in a game due to the random pitching and the original character of the sound (squealing pig+dolphin+hyaena...?).
While it would be the best to just cut the sounds out of the original movie, it turned out to be a flipping pain in the bottom for several reasons. So I googled and found an imitated sound that was created by a guy who calls himself 'Sharp' (IA-Studio's, http://www.irishacts.com) and published under the Attribution 3.0 license. I think this one is great and comes really close to the original sound - it has less 'dolphin laughter' though. So here they are.

Original movie sound:

Sharp's snippet I used:

And, after letting some magic happen, the sound in-game:

I know it's not perfect, I just did it for fun and to understand some stuff about the rifle implementation. If anyone wants the mod as it is, I can upload it. It won't pass the lua consistency check, so it doesn't really make sense to add it to Steam Workshop.
Since there are actually many m41a sound mods for several games, maybe, when I have the time, I'll improve the sound to fit better into the game and come closer to the original. Maybe.

Feel free to comment!

Comments

• firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited February 2013
    Too deep a sound, need higher pitch.
    I loved the Aliens mod for DOOM or DOOM2 not sure which it was, it had a lot of sound clips from the movie. That got me to buy the original AvP game from rebellion. It was fun shooting out the lights, first use of dynamic lighting.

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Not bad. A little muffled.
  • DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I didn't touch the sound at all, this is more about looping / pitch madness. The sound would work great in movies, played in a distance with reverb for example. It would have to be tweaked to sound good in a game, with more layers.
  • MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    really nice idea and good implementation, only thing is that the sound variations while firing bursts are to extreme imo...
    Also try to mix some other sounds like that from the smartgun together, maybe this would enhance the sound spectrum coz as now as it is its a bit monotone.... but anyways really nice one dude...

btw. was hasten studiert Akademiker? :P