BUG: cysting problem [b238]

ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
Played a few games last night as alien commander with the new b238 release when I ran into a very unfortunate cysting bug. The map was ns_tram, and the two rounds I played had aliens starting at the server and shipping locations. In both instances, the cysts leading from the hive to the harvester within the base immediately started dying. This actually was first noticed even before the game had started, as we were running around the map waiting for commanders to join in. The harvester started dying, and then actually did die and fell over completely while we sat and watched it.

I served as commander when we were in the server location. I started cysting towards mezzanine, but started to get notifications that a structure was under attack. This was less than 20 seconds into the game. I looked at the minimap, and sure enough, red circles began appearing next to the harvester in server. I thought maybe some marine might have run all the way from warehouse to our spawn and killed them, but no marine was to be found. The cysts just killed themselves off. I tried placing new ones next to the harvester, but they died almost immediately. Turns out all of the cysts leading from the hive had died off. I had to go back and start cysting from the hive all over again, and had to reconnect to our main harvester.

Obviously this is a bug. Not sure if this is happening on other maps, as well, but it happened on ns_tram to the next commander when we started in shipping. The cysts died and we almost lost the harvester while the comm tried to figure out how to plant the cysts up the incline in that hive (pretty annoying, actually).

Comments

• ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    Yeah, after the new cyst patch, I was wondering why my server node was dying, yet no marine could be found.

Also with the new cyst patch, if you build too close to a cyst, it kills off the new cyst and the old cyst, costing the aliens 3 res to drop one cyst...
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    Yeah, after the new cyst patch, I was wondering why my server node was dying, yet no marine could be found.

Also with the new cyst patch, if you build too close to a cyst, it kills off the new cyst and the old cyst, costing the aliens 3 res to drop one cyst...

I really long for the old cysting behavior. Was it really so broken that it needed all these "improvements"? Cysting is such a pain right now.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I think that happened to me too. Start cysting down from server to mezzanine and all of a sudden I notice my server harvester is flashing. Appears I probably killed off the cysts we auto started with that was keeping it alive.

Not really a bug, just an annoyance I guess.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    we tried to reproduce this today on tram in shipping with no luck.
    Any video you can provide that includes the exact steps would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    ironhorse wrote: »
    Any video you can provide that includes the exact steps would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I'll give it a go and see if I can reproduce it.

PaLaGi wrote: »
    I think that happened to me too. Start cysting down from server to mezzanine and all of a sudden I notice my server harvester is flashing. Appears I probably killed off the cysts we auto started with that was keeping it alive.

Not really a bug, just an annoyance I guess.

Maybe that's what happened to us. Placed a new cyst too close to an existing one, which killed off the others. If that's the default behavior now, that's quite annoying. I guess it's to fix the issue with getting stuck in certain places where the cysts aren't spreading infestation to the resource nozzle? Why not just provide the commander the ability to purposefully kill off a cyst, instead of doing it automatically?

I'll still poke around with this.
    Okay I've reproduced the bug [video].

- Started server on ns_tram
    - Joined aliens
    - Entered "cheats 1" in console
    - Game starts, two cysts die instantly, and "structure is under attack" is heard

Although not in the video, the same thing happened another time with the server hive. If you're not careful while cysting out of your starting hive, you can easily kill off an existing chain and, since the other cysts are not mature yet, they will die quite rapidly. My guess is that the default cyst chain in that hive breaks the new rule that they cannot be too close together. So one of them dies because it was too close to the other, and then all disconnected ones instantly die because they started with zero health.

Surely other people have experienced this?
  • LonewulfzaLonewulfza Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 180951Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ironhorse wrote: »
    Thanks

Unbelievable. This happened CONSTANTLY last night on our server on Summit and Veil. I would seriously like to know how this incredibly blatantly visible bug found its way into release?! As a Software Engineer I know how QA works and cannot understand how this issue could have slipped the net? It begs to question how decent your quality control is...
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Yeah no offense but i have no idea how people can't reproduce it. You start a new game. It starts then.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They just need to replace the starting cysts in all their maps to fit with the new rules.