February Possible content

MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey,

I wanted to create a post to discuss and share the content for the upcomming big content patch in february. I will sum up the changes I found in the NS2 code so far.
Keep in mind that eventho these changes are in the code it will not be certain that they will be in the februari patch (or even any for that matter).
Some of my findings could be wrong or misunderstood from code.

Babblers
A 3 hive gorge upgrade. A gorge can become a mini-hive and spawn babblers which are autonome skulks. They are weaker then normal skulks and if not killed will explode within 12 seconds (lesser version of xenocide).

-Babblers spawn around the gorge mini hive in egs and take 8 seconds to construct
-Babblers have limited view range
-Babblers attack at 0.5 speed of skulks
-Max 3 bablers per gorge
-30 hp.

Again all current values and not final.

Gorge Tunnels
Basicly a tunnel which connects 2 points.

-No instant tp. You need to walk trough it
-If one of the entrances or exits is destroyed the whole tunnel is destroyed every entity inside is killed instantly.
-It takes time to construct at tunnel
-Exo and onos cannot use tunnels (marines can!)
-Needs to be researched (2 hives)
-max 2 per gorge (aka entrance and exit)
-If a tunnel is bilebombed the armor of marines inside will corode (5 armor p/s)

Gorge web
Gorge can make webs witch are like spider webs. They can trap marines. Marines can use their welders to get trough them easily.
Minlengt 0.5 and max 8.

Railgun
Some new code popped out that gives the exo either a claw and railgun or 2 railguns!
1 Railgun cost: 50
2 railgun cost: 75

-Railgun needs to be researched (only after exo is researched) for: 1gun: 20res . 2guns annother 20 res.
-The guns need to charge before they can fire. The charging makes a circle which grows around the gun so you can see when it charges and how far it has charged. If fully charged it will auto shoot
-The gun also aplies the same heat-mechanism as the miniguns.
-Damge is a base + (time charged x var).

1Vioy

Welding
Door can be weld shut (not shure about vents). The weld can broken. If a door weld is broken the whole door breaks (not sure if you can repair it afterwards).
1VivB

All I can say is that I am very excited about the upcoming patch =). If you guys know of anny other upcomming stuff or found something else please share.

Comments

• revo_phxrevo_phx Join Date: 2010-10-27 Member: 74626Members
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hasn't welding been delayed furthermore? I'm pretty sure it's not meant for the next few patches. I'm hoping for great win in the new EXO handling, though.
  • honkehonke Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71285Members
    Dayum... All these new abilities and gadgets are awesome! We can just hope they will make it in the game in a near future, and the gorge will be a lot more fun to play with webs and tunnels.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    Hasn't welding been delayed furthermore? I'm pretty sure it's not meant for the next few patches. I'm hoping for great win in the new EXO handling, though.
    Like I said no clue to wether they wanna implement it or not in the upcomming patch. Welding has been in the code for quiet some time now so it is indeed very lickly not to show up in the next content patch.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The railgun sounds fun but odd. We know it's likely coming in this patch. I just worry that the exo is quite vulnerable as it is, and the high fire rate of dual miniguns is absolutely essential to keep it alive. Unless one rail shot instagibs a skulk (and maybe a lerk, gorge and fade), or the rate of fire is moderate rather than the usual slow rate of rails, then I worry about its usefulness!

That said, I trust the playtesters to give it a good try out so it works well. More variety is great, and I don't want to theorycraft too much here - can't wait to try it out in the flesh! :)

Roo
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    -gorge tunnels
    -rail gun
    -new map
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Sounds like gorge will become more fun to play, though I do hope there's some accompanying big changes that will shift the balance away from the current alien domination in pubs. I also can't really imagine the rail gun being that great in the fast-paced NS 2 environment, hope I'm proven wrong.

Things I'd like to see:
    - Xenocide buff
    - Vortex rework
    - Sentry buff
    - Some nerfs to the alien economy (Cost wise)
    - Slight fade buff
    - Way for marine commander to change phasegate sequence
    - Buff to single minigun exo

But hey, I'm just dreaming now
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    edited January 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    The railgun sounds fun but odd. We know it's likely coming in this patch. I just worry that the exo is quite vulnerable as it is, and the high fire rate of dual miniguns is absolutely essential to keep it alive. Unless one rail shot instagibs a skulk (and maybe a lerk, gorge and fade), or the rate of fire is moderate rather than the usual slow rate of rails, then I worry about its usefulness!
    Roo

Currently base damage is 50 + 100 for each second the railgun is charged. The max charge time is 3 seconds (auto fire) which mans max damage per gun is 350.

So with 2 railguns you can kill a skulks in 1 shot if you hit it (100 damage vs 80 health).

If you can aim i suppose it could have it uses.

[edit]
    For Onos with carapace:
    1300 hp and 900 armor.

2 guns max charged is 700 damage. Armor takes 2 times but piercing gives 25 bonus so 350 + 87 = 437 armor damage. So 4 shots in total should kill an onos (12 seconds). But that's with current settings.
    [/edit]
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    blabblers, spawned by gorges or crags?
    gorge tunnels
    weldables
    decent map
    railguns
    Focus trait <hugh hinted on the "FOCUS of the content patch, What Is the FOCUS"
    web
    catalyst pack??? maybe???
    hand granades??
    camo reworked to use refraction instead of pure 100% cloaked
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    camo reworked to use refraction instead of pure 100% cloaked

Any kind of invisibility that draws an "invisible" model will not work. Too easy to hack around with custom models.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    How are they going to implement Gorge Tunnels? Is it going to be seamless so you can open up holes in the ground and auto connect them or some teleportation trickery?
    Desther wrote: »
    How are they going to implement Gorge Tunnels? Is it going to be seamless so you can open up holes in the ground and auto connect them or some teleportation trickery?
    every gorge can build an entrance/exit and upon building a second entrance/exit both are connected, you actually have to walk through them but the distance is always the same, marines can use them aswell and can only be build on infestation.
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm so curious about what Gorge tunnels will look like.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    semihandy wrote: »

Sphincters. Sphincters everywhere.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    semihandy wrote: »
    Me too.
    I can imagine a blobby kind of elevation, but only when infestation is set to High in the game options.
    No idea how it would look on Low Infestation.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I still have no idea wtf gorge tunnels are.

Is it going to be like portal (in Portal), only you gotta walk some when you are inside? I mean, you are in Server and there is a tunnel to Shipping, can you see shipping from the other end of the tunnel?
    Is it placed on walls or on the ground?
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    They may add a female character because you can find a female model in "NS2 dedicated server".
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    edited January 2013
    xen32 wrote: »

Is it going to be like portal (in Portal), only you gotta walk some when you are inside? I mean, you are in Server and there is a tunnel to Shipping, can you see shipping from the other end of the tunnel?

Performance wise, I doubt you will see the destination through the tunnel, a la Portal.

Otherwise I imagine it will be some sort of hole/sphincter like structure that you "use" and then have to walk a short distance through something that may look like the old Onos stomach graphic, and then pop out at the destination.

/speculation
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wonder what's the cost of these gorge abilities
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »

Performance wise, I doubt you will see the destination through the tunnel, a la Portal.

Otherwise I imagine it will be some sort of hole/sphincter like structure that you "use" and then have to walk a short distance through something that may look like the old Onos stomach graphic, and then pop out at the destination.

/speculation

It sounds like they are phasegates with an intermediate stage. Enter entrance, teleport to tunnel, run through tunnel, teleport to destination.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2013
    not sure i like the idea of gorge tunnels, aliens dont really lack mobility. if its restricted to gorges only then i can see it being useful without being completely op.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I'm guessing it'll be like this:

zamf5ei.png
    Seems legit
    not sure i like the idea of gorge tunnels, aliens dont really lack mobility. if its restricted to gorges only then i can see it being useful without being completely op.

I think it's usable by everyone (marines too) except onos and exo.
    With the exception that marine will be inside waiting for easy targets.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    With the exception that marine will be inside waiting for easy targets.

And then the gorge collapses the tunnel and murders them all!

Think of tunnels like artificial vents i guess, giving better ambush spots and quicker mobility.
    edited January 2013
    i think its 10 res for one entrance/exit
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited February 2013
    I just tought it would be relevant to note another game (and former mod) that releases (free) content patches: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/archives/1733

Commendable, but I hope UWE doesn't have to send Hugh out on the streets with a shopping cart scavenging for bottles and scrap metal.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I'm guessing it'll be like this:

zamf5ei.png

You got the mad paint skills bro!
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    I'm surprised no one corrected this yet.

It's February