So carapace fades can be 2 shot by w3 shotguns now

IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i'm certain they could before.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    AuroN2 wrote: »

Yes.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    you guys sure? afaik a w3 shotgun blast did 220 damage, not enough to kill a fade in two shots.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    AuroN2 wrote: »

Cara fades could not be fully killed by two shotgun shots with the previous shotgun.

Cara fade = 250 hp + 2x 100 armor = 450 effective hp versus normal damage. Shotgun dealt (17x10)x1.3 = 221 damage per shot at weapons 3. That's slightly over 2 shots to kill.

New shotgun is obviously able to 2 shot with a base weapon 3 damage of 243.1.

• LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." - Angelusz
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    a game like this is always in beta, lofung, until the team starts a new project, can you please shut up and get over it?
    statistics aside, if a rock scratched you in the middle of those 2 shots gorgeous, you would most definately die.
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    edited January 2013
    As if shotguns weren't already powerful enough they get a predictability boost (this I like) and a damage boost (this I don't like.) I've yet to play since the new update but it sounds like any 20 res shotgun marine worth their salt will easily be able to gun down a 50 res Fade. I was already super cautious of shotgunners before as a Fade, now I'll have to be downright paranoid of them. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of this. Hopefully the story will be different when I go to play.

Edit:
    I just played and I am definitely getting hit a lot more by shotguns and taking more damage. Even at a good range they seem to be connecting more pellets with me. On a side note the game also seems to lag more. I'm not sure if it was just me or what but it did seem choppier. CPU lag really needs to be addressed, a lot more than RAM efficiency at least.
    maybe if the time between the two shots was longer, it would be justified?
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Buffing shotgun damage wasn't something I considered warranted, but I suppose the 'wider' spread will prevent long-range shotgun sniping before the patch.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    So this also means lerks can be 1 shotted (even with full armour) as if I recall they only survived being 1 shotted by about 2 armour points.
    Awesome...*shakes head in disbelief*..so now fades are in the boat lerks used to be and lerks are now like skulks (totally useless if marines can aim).
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Additionally, it is now possible to one shot a non-carapace Lerk with w3 shotgun as well. :(
    (hakenspit beat me to it)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    rantology wrote: »
    Total net damages assuming 100% of pellets hit for old/new SGs:

OLD: 10 pellets, 17 dmg per @ w0
    --Weapons 0: 170
    --Weapons 1: 187
    --Weapons 2: 204
    --Weapons 3: 221

NEW 17 pellets, 11 dmg per @ w0
    --Weapons 0: 187
    --Weapons 1: 205.7
    --Weapons 2: 224.4
    --Weapons 3: 243.1

Carapace Fade stats: 250hp/100ap - 450 effective HP against normal damage (shotgun). Before: it took more than 2 full w3 SG shots as 2 100% full SG hits did 442 dmg. New SG does 486.2 damage in 2 shots, more than enough. It's more than plausible to partially miss some of your shots and still 2 shot a cara fade now.
    You forgot to mention the spread width was increased, a large reason for why this was done.
    The balance mod had the same spread but with ~167 max damage iirc, (170 = old) and many reported that it felt like you couldn't do enough damage, regardless of your timing. Timing matters more now, increasing the skill required to use the shotgun - due to a wider spread you now must wait for the target to get closer than the previous implementation. But now you wont have those frustrating "sniper shotgun" scenarios that occurred from the asymmetrical pattern + a narrow spread.

That being said, i haven't tried the 187 version yet, but it seems like its in the right direction, given the increase in spread. I was thinking 180 would work maybe when just theorycrafting.

Edit: those concerned over a one shot should really take into account the pattern and spread changes. To get 100% pellets requires a lot less distance and luck now, requiring more skill, while simultaneously lessening the "fade just died across warehouse from a shotgun" scenario. On Paper numbers are all well and good for theory. *runs off to try 187dmg version*
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited January 2013
    due to a wider spread you now must wait for the target to get closer than the previous implementation.

Just stop and think for a moment about what you just said and why it is completely moronic. "Wait for the target to get closer." As if the majority of alien life forms (the ones that kill marines specifically) don't require getting right up against their targets. Unless the hit detection in this game is still shoddy, 'wider spread' at point blank distances means absolutely nothing. I bet it's even safe to say that it will still be quite possible to snipe even with the wider spread because there are more pellets.

>To get 100% pellets requires a lot less distance and luck now, requiring more skill.

Haha.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Nice behavior.
    On topic: That's the point? That's exactly how the skill requirement is increased: Timing.
    Timing requiring you to shoot at a much riskier distance, i.e. getting 100% pellets to land is often being traded for one attack from the enemy, and at the least, a high risk of it.
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly where you disagree or what your issue is. You seem to be reaching for one.

Also, more pellets doesn't mean you can snipe more?? (what??) It means added reliability, something that is needed if you increase the spread. You did read above how per pellet damage was reduced? ahh hell.. nevermind.
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    Didn't this use to be the norm anyways? I remember it not being that difficult to 2 - 3 shot a fade.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    I will disagree that the total number of damage is negated by the increased spread. 100% damage shots do occur and I think it's important to note this when looking at life-form survivability. If TTK at range is the issue then it is the spread cone that should be addressed, increasing the total damage per shot is not the right way to reduce TTK at range. The symmetrical spread allows this to be much more easily balanced. Because you also increase the occurrence of insta-gibs particularly for lerk/fade and the damage done to higher life forms like Onos where every pellet hitting is a more common occurrence.

This is especially true when looking at scenarios with multiple shotgunners, not just one (because as an alien it's not possible to judge the timing of the shots like you can in 1v1).

tl;dr damage increase was not needed and has more negative side affects than positive ones

and for anyone interested, here's an (approximate) comparison of the 238 SG to the old SG: http://i.imgur.com/YZKibRs.jpg (new left, old right)
    ironhorse wrote: »
    Nice behavior.
    On topic: That's the point? That's exactly how the skill requirement is increased: Timing.
    Timing requiring you to shoot at a much riskier distance, i.e. getting 100% pellets to land is often being traded for one attack from the enemy, and at the least, a high risk of it.
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly where you disagree or what your issue is. You seem to be reaching for one.

Also, more pellets doesn't mean you can snipe more?? (what??) It means added reliability, something that is needed if you increase the spread. You did read above how per pellet damage was reduced? ahh hell.. nevermind.

2- 100% sg shots deals more damage than what a fade has which means you can miss a few pellets and still kill the fade. Timing means nothing when the fade is on top of you anyway. Trading blows? Really? You only need two shots to kill a fade vs 3 shots with the old one, meaning you can only perform better (2 shots vs 3) or come out equally vs the old shotgun. You end up taking one less hit in your favor.

>Also, more pellets doesn't mean you can snipe more?? (what??) It means added reliability

Dingdingding. You're not really increasing the spread when you're making it much more reliable.
    I didn't say it was negated? I said spread should be considered and factored in as it does have an impact.
    100% damage point blank shots definitely occur, but now they come way more of a risk to the shooter.
    Its higher risk and higher reward, at a higher skill requirement.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    the way you phrased this:
    You forgot to mention the spread width was increased, a large reason for why this was done.
    The balance mod had the same spread but with ~167 max damage iirc, (170 = old) and many reported that it felt like you couldn't do enough damage, regardless of your timing.

implied to me that you thought changing the one thing would balance the other. I apologize if this was misunderstood.

Regardless I guess we will get the chance to see how things work out in the coming week(s). Should be interesting.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obviously we need or 300hp 250armor carapace fades again.

With acid rockets and metabolism.
    edited January 2013
    ironhorse wrote: »
    I didn't say it was negated? I said spread should be considered and factored in as it does have an impact.
    100% damage point blank shots definitely occur, but now they come way more of a risk to the shooter.
    Its higher risk and higher reward, at a higher skill requirement.

So how does only requiring 3 less than of the 100% of the bullets landing to two shot a fade with the new shotgun inherit more risk than requiring 3 shots to kill a fade? Especially when the fade requires being on top of you anyway.

Edit: Oh, right, because the fade has to be on top of you, right?

So the fade is gonna get a swing in. But then you're gonna kill the fade 33.3% fast with the new shotgun. You're right, killing faster has way more of an inherit risk. My mistake.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Because 442 damage wasn't basically a two shot before.

Get real.
    Because 442 damage wasn't basically a two shot before.

Get real.

Because it's not.

It still requires one more shot.

Therefore, not a two shot.

3 =! 2
    rantology wrote: »
    the way you phrased this:
    implied to me that you thought changing the one thing would balance the other.

Regardless I guess we will get the chance to see how things work out in the coming week(s). Should be interesting.

Oh i see where that happened, nope. Many, many factors to consider, imo. Each one weighing differently. Many ways to skin a cat here, too..
    Yea I kinda thought it would've had more time in the balance mod given the change in values, comparatively, but we'll see how it goes now. :)
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    what were the shotgun changes exactly?
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    Wasn't this patch supposed to bump fade health to 300?
    Canucck wrote: »
    Wasn't this patch supposed to bump fade health to 300?

That was actually supposed to be last patch. The changes were pulled however, I believe due to not wanting to inflame the 60/40 ratio (even though it's needed in competitive).
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    so, it's 17pellets/11dmg instead of 15pellets/11dmg that were in balance mod?
    and I'm assuming almost same pattern (+2 pellets) but wider spread?