Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Beta v2 is out. Not a whole lot has changed, just the code update and a few minor features/tweaks. This is using the current official code base (b201). I've put together an installer for you lazy blokes out there. :)

<b>General</b>
    MACs now repair player's armor if they're idle when player uses them
    Reduced dropped weapon lifetime to 20 seconds (was 30s)
    Reduced Pres cost of mines to 10 (was 15)

<b>Combat</b>
    ARCs now trigger mines
    ARCs now take an additional 20% damage, when damaged and they are deployed
    ARCs now take 20% reduced damage when undeployed
    Reduced GL clip to 6 grenades
    Hostile mines are no longer marked with target indicators
    Decreased ARC damage to 650 (was 900)
    Reduced delay before mine detonation to 0.12 seconds (was 0.22)
    Slightly increased range to trigger mine detonation, now 2 (was 1.5)
    Slightly increased mine damage radius, now 4.25 (was 4)

<b>Bug-Fixes</b>
    On-screen beacon warning now working for Team 2
    Upgrade research indicator should now clear from UI after round end

<b>Miscellaneous</b>
    Updated to current code base (Build 201)
    Removed power requirement from Doors

<b><a href="http://www.team156.com/mcglaspie/mvm/mvmsetup.zip" target="_blank">Download - Beta v2</a></b>
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Is there any chance this might get an MvM combat mode as well?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2012
    I don't have any plans to make any kind of combat variation of this mod. It already loses quite a bit from dropping the asymmetrical aspect of NS2. In fact, the lack of asymmetrical gameplay is why I'm going to be adding the Power Grid, Logistics, and Res For Score systems in. I've already started on the RFS and then I'll be moving on to the power grid.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    I'm curious how effective the Jetpack is in MvM. Perhaps it could be more agile.

There was a small problem I found during earlier versions, that MACs repair each other too fast for one Marine to deal any damage, since Marines have limited ammo and need time to reload. I'm not certain if the problem remains.
    Yeah, I ran into that same problem. MACs shouldn't be repairing each other now but still repair structures and ARCs.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Does anyone know what happened to this?

Now that we're nearing v1 I think it might be time to resurrect? Also, I wonder if this can be done as a server-side only mod...
    It's not dead. Just in sleep mode. At the time that I started this there were a ton of things in flux and missing features from the engine/code base.

Unfortunately, this can't be done as a pure server-side only mod. For example, in order for different team skins (materials) to be used, which is ideal, there has to be client-side code to handle that.

I have every intention of finishing it, and even has some new stuff specific to MvM that I'd like to do. I'm a Playtester, so my free time surrounding NS2 is rather limited. In all honesty, my main concern is getting NS2 out the door. After v1 release, I'll start working in this again. There is quite a bit that would need to be redone anyways because the base NS2 code has changed so much. Simple example, beta2 of MvM was done when Flash was still used in Spark.

Hopefully by the time v1 hits we'll have full Steam Workshop support and not just map support. So, downloading this mod would be a snap. Regardless, it's final size will be quite small (probably less than 100MB). Thanks for the interest MCM :)
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Would be nice to see servers running this and a combat version at some point!
    Indeed it would. Hopefully they'll have the opportunity to do so very soon. I'm just about ready to release it. I've even managed to have full multi-skin support for the Marine models. Considering how different this is from vanilla NS2, the first version or two will probably be unbalanced in one way or another. I hope not, but it could be the case.

For anyone interested in where the project is and what's being worked on:
    <a href="http://www.team156.com/156/mcglaspie/mvm/tracker/" target="_blank">http://www.team156.com/156/mcglaspie/mvm/tracker/</a>
    *Just ignore the Changes Page for now, it's horribly out of date. The tracker progress page is just fine though*
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021029:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:20 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Nov 12 2012, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be nice to see servers running this and a combat version at some point!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    its planned we have talked about it a long time ago its just that Greeds and Jim were too busy fixing everything else.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    We will add that, but we'll need custom models for that (colored marines).
  • DoublehexDoublehex Join Date: 2012-06-23 Member: 153607Members
    I can provide a method of applying custom colors to separate marine models if you need it. Just contact me on steam.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MvM Playtest Video: <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/scardybob/b/340452126" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/scardybob/b/340452126</a>
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great mod, I enjoyed it.

Axe damage needs a serious buff.
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had a lot of fun, and it plays much better than I would have imagined. Here are some changes I'd like to try out:

<ul><li>After researching welders, you spawn with them</li><li>Spawn with nanoshield to prevent ranged spawn camping</li><li>Jetpacks need a buff. Maybe recharge faster or drain slower. Maybe better movement.</li><li>It might be cool to convert buildings to your team. Commanders activate a conversion and nearby marines build to convert the building. Costs half the building's cost and takes 2-4x as long to build.</li><li>Powernode mechanics are janky; I'd prefer to see them removed or team based.</li><li>Flamethrowers seem too powerful, but at least they're useful. Maybe prevent afterburn from killing like lerk bite?</li></ul>
    First Beta is very very close to release, I just have to fix some bugs around mini-map and commander UI stuff. And of course a helluva lot of tweaks.

To all those that were in the those test games. Thank you!! :D
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Powernode mechanics are janky; I'd prefer to see them removed or team based.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just an idea, but maybe team based like huze said and make them "hackable" with the welder or even just the buildertool, so they change the teamcolor.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Capturing structures and needing to claim power nodes should make for some interesting game play, give it a chance and see how it works out.
    edited November 2012
    Originally (way back in February), I had the power nodes set so team's owned them. The entire map, excluding starting positions, started in a powered down state. The problem I ran into it was Commanders visibility. By having the power nodes controlled by a specific team, you give a means for commanders to know where the enemy team is. This came from a mix of two things, visual and lack of visual. So, if the power node belonged to team 1, then team 2's commander could tell it was captured because it wasn't visible anymore.

The other side of the ownership problem is powering structures. Let's use Summit as an example map.
    So, Team 1 starts in flight control. Team 2 later sneaks into FC and tries to build a phase gate, but since they don't own the power node the PG doesn't get powered. They would see the power node is built and working. So, it would be very confusing.
    Let's say they capture it. Well, shouldn't that then power down all of Team 1's structures? That would include the Infantry Portals...That would basically mean game over...and all Team 2 players had to do was press the E key (for example) on the Power Node for a few moments... that's not a fun mechanic.

Changing how power nodes work and adding in a Team Ownership layer to them introduces a lot of <i>big</i> gameplay problems. That's why I made them neutral and already built when the game starts. It was the simplest thing that worked. I'll admit it's kind of a hack, but it allows them to still be a factor (can be destroyed and structures power down).

Another alternative is to remove them outright, and remove all power requirements. I'd prefer not to do that, because I do like the concept of a power grid.
    I'm open to ideas if anyone has some.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    This is looking interesting looking forward to testing this when it's on the Workshop, I agree though with the models, I think they should be clearly defined, not sure how easy it's to achieve this but it would be great if there was a hue overlay you could perform to all structures to just change the colors for example without having to redistribute the model files.
  • oaktreeoaktree Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176487Members
    hahaha this takes me back to good ol NS days. the MvM in NS1 was awesome. at one piont I even tried running a MvM server with RCBot. Good days good days.

btw. when is this planning to be released?

Also, is there a way for me to get my hands on a beta release?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Suggestion:
    Add <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126358" target="_blank">magnoboots.</a>
  • zyextantzyextant Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176715Members
    Eagerly waiting for this mod!
  • VesanusVesanus Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68183Members
    Oh man i would love to play this :)

Lots of awesome memories from NS1 MvM
  • Lt.RealnessLt.Realness Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27379Members
    Although I never liked the Marines vs Marines idea back in the days of NS1 I'm quite tempted to like this idea for NS².
    You should probably change the backgroundstory. As far as I remember there was a well written backstory for NS1 available on the early version of the website back in 2004 which said that there are many earth corporations who are trying to gain influence. So why not invent another "third party" ? It would also add another aspect to the game by giving the organisation a name rather than calling the other team "Team Gold/Red".

If I carry on that thought it could also be interesting to try a gameplay mode where you actually have both corporations fighting against each other while simultaneously fighting the Aliens.
    Or 4 teams 2v2 heh.
    2 Team of marines vs 2 Teams of Aliens - (Jeez, 4 commanders)..

Oh man can't wait for MvM or AvA - loved it in ns1.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    are you bringing in the HEADSHOT?
    Hey guys, thanks for the interest. For any wondering, yes this mod is still alive. RL has been seriously kicking my ass the past few months so things have slowed quite a bit. I'm determined to see this thing done though.

@AuroNS2 That's actually got some interesting gameplay consequences. I'm not sure how/where it could fit into the tech tree though. Ideas?

@derWalter: I hadn't planned on having location specific damage multipliers (heads, legs, etc). That isn't in NS2, so I was intending on including it. Plus, there are some annoying complications that come along with it. Just not sure it's worth it.

I'm going to have some time this weekend to work on it and fix the last few major bugs (hopefully).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i never knew i had an s in my name :D
    as for your question, proto tech? it would be expensive, to be sure.