Performance drop since b237

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Been too lazy to post this until now but, during b235 and before I always maxed out at 60fps with vsync on, with it off I got around 80-90 most of the time occasionally dropping to 65 or so. Since b237 though I usually hang around 60, often dropping to 45 in built up areas. Has anyone else encountered a performance drop as well? It's quite annoying when I know my PC can run it just fine.

Comments

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    Nah there was a thread earlier. Most people assume it was 237 but that was just a hotfix. I assume something changed in 236 that is causing it. Although I do not know the extent of the userbase it affects but I do see an increase in people with pretty powerful systems reporting it.

235 was better though as you stated.

forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2064454/
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    When I said 237, I was including 236 in it since they were released so close together I was unable to tell for sure which one caused it. Good to know it's not just me though.

EDIT: Here are my specs, maybe it's a hardware compatibility issue:
    i7-2600k - overclocked 4.5ghz
    GTX570 - standard no overclock
    8GB DDR3
    ASUS P8P67
    HD that the game is on is 7200rpm, I think sata2
    Realtek HD Audio - there were some issues where some sounds caused fps drops (lolwhy)?
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    edited January 2013
    This game has to be the most hit and miss when it comes to performance of anything I have ever seen. After every patch some people start getting great FPS while others go through the floor. For some people turning on ambient occlusion actually improves FPS and for other lowers it. Alt tabbing, texture streaming etc. All these little niche things that each individual computer seems to tailor to differently.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    These are my settings at the moment:
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Display Mode - Fullscreeen Windowed
    Vsync- Disabled - was on until a few days ago, when the bug was found that caused vsync to slow down load times, was on until then (triple)
    Texture Quality - High
    Particle Quality - High
    Infestation - Minimal - not for fps issues mind you, for improved gameplay (skulks easier to see on 2D infest)
    Anti-Aliasing - On
    Bloom - On
    Atmospherics - Off - op flash light
    Anisotropic Filtering - On
    Ambient Occlusion - Off - the only setting that's off/low to help fps, just doesn't seem to give anything visually good for the fps it rapes
    Shadows - On
    Texture Streaming - Off - causes too many crashes
    Multicore Rendering - On
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    I only noticed performance issues because of streaming. Actually made it really irritating.
    If you're still having really annoying sluggishness, try disabling the steam overlay settings. I did that recently, and now my game runs amazing with some settings tuned down a bit.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Yes I'm glad I'm not the only one - my performance in 235 was fine now in 237 its horrible in late game combat! Drops down to 20's now, my old average FPS was in the 40's for late game in 235. Athlon FX-8320 @4.1ghz . Lots of welding particularly from MACs seems to really shit on my FPS big time.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    edited January 2013
    Lowering my screen res to 1600x900 mostly fixed the problem.
    Hopefully we can get UWE to find whatever caused this.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Visor1 wrote: »
    Lowering my screen res to 1600x900 mostly fixed the problem.

doubt it, you just decrease the symptom.
    Yeah...lowered resolution, gained fps, shocker.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    My performance was better in 235 for sure too, ever since 236 it's just been shitty. Heck, on my current setup it shows 90 FPS on the graphics menu, with most settings off or on low, but ingame I still get HUGE framedrops as the game progresses. Going from 90 to around 30ish is pretty bad in my book. When I play on a higher resolution, I get lower base FPS, but the framedrops are almost identical. (So ultimately it doesn't really matter what resolution or settings I play on as the game progresses)

I run games like Skyrim and BF3 on high/ultra. I LOVE NS2, else I wouldn't have played it for almost 500 hours, but the fact that the performance issue still hasn't been properly addressed is REALLY disheartening and is ultimately bringing me to a point where I will simply stop bothering. (It's not just performance of course, it's poor balance/design choices as well, but the performance is the more frustrating part)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Every single patch without fail there are people who claim that their performance got worse, and UWE has insisted that their internal stats show average FPS increases. I'm sure it's true that performance takes hits sometimes but it's hard for me to believe that it happens so consistently for real. It's always possible that there were other changes on the user's system, new stuff running in the background, etc.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Really coincidental for this worse performance to occur right after a patch, don't you think? My performance also doesn't fluctuate in other games the way it does in NS 2 over the course of several patches, so I find it hard to believe my system is somehow to blame.
    No software changes between the updates at all. No hardware either. Their internal testing can only cover so many hardware + every variant of settings surely.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    This game has to be the most hit and miss when it comes to performance of anything I have ever seen. After every patch some people start getting great FPS while others go through the floor. For some people turning on ambient occlusion actually improves FPS and for other lowers it. Alt tabbing, texture streaming etc. All these little niche things that each individual computer seems to tailor to differently.

I have a feeling that it is how the game engine interacts with the hardware, and it likes some configurations better than others.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    I'm not the only clan player that noticed large constant drops with the new patch. With 235 I wouldn't go below 60fps unless with alien building spam. Next patch roles in and I'm hitting 30fps at the start of the game in every fight. Lowering my screen res from 1080 to 1600 got the idea from Kouji post and it mostly solved the problem. I still get some fps dips but nothing like going from 60-80 fps down to 30fps for no reason. I'm only using a 560ti and since lowering my res helps with the problem I'm guessing my problem is being VRAM limited.

@ghostthree ROFL
    I really don't want to lower my resolution, I like games running at desktop res otherwise they move windows around and it looks bad. Just gonna wait it out til they fix it.

@Visor1 ROFL what
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    Lots of people think they get lower performance after a patch, when in reality they just did not pay close enough attention to what fps they were really getting or were just looking at their fps before a patch under different circumstances.

It's like this in almost every game where people claim getting lower performance after a patch when in reality it is the above statement of what I said.

Basically, it's a placebo effect.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to have a benchmark graph taken before a patch and benchmark graph taken after a patch under which both benchmarks are under the same circumstances.

You may say, "I know what I'm doing and know what I see and have been gaming for XXXX years"... but until you can provide the above proof, your belief of having lower fps is entirely subjective and you are under the placebo effect.
    edited January 2013
    Which is why I ask for a performance benchmark. Besides a quick test is too just load up explore mode stand in same spot and compare frames with the same settings. Not a good test but you get a general idea of the frames. This last patch was far worse on me. Now instead of losing 5 frames I have lost 20 total nothing has changed on my computer. How about the rest of you guys? It's weird I put everything on low and my frames will not go up at all. In fact putting everyone on does not change it either except for one option. Increasing infestation to rich actually gives me frames even though I still lost 20 overall. Wonder what's going on.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    with vsync on, .
    If you cannot maintain 60 fps, vsync will automatically drop you to 30 fps.
    Its the nature of it.
    So unless you don't risk going under 60 fps ever, i'd disable that, personally.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    joederp wrote: »
    Lots of welding particularly from MACs seems to really shit on my FPS big time.
    I reported this as a bug before and a fix was made for this patch. I personally went from a 40 fps loss to something like 5 fps loss after it was fixed. (similar for other playtesters)
    So i'm really confused how that's happening for you. Specs? maybe continue in tech support?

related pics of what was fixed (shadowmaps) :

50 fps no welding:

http://i.imgur.com/yy81Y.jpg

15 fps when welding:

http://i.imgur.com/RLiIK.jpg

Profiler shot:

http://i.imgur.com/yePpH.jpg
    I would post benchmarks, but I since I don't have any from b235 I don't think they're useful.
    I'll keep vsync off for now ironhorse.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Res wrote: »
    Lots of people think they get lower performance after a patch, when in reality they just did not pay close enough attention to what fps they were really getting or were just looking at their fps before a patch under different circumstances.

It's like this in almost every game where people claim getting lower performance after a patch when in reality it is the above statement of what I said.

Basically, it's a placebo effect.

Wrong. I run with r_stats 1 every time I play, I get a kick out of watching what things in the game seem to have a larger impact on my FPS. I've also been a pc tech & gamer for 15 years. I think I am capable of noticing the difference between choppy ass 15-20 fps and 40-50 fps during some scenes. For me it was more of a "hey whats going on here, this is different" moment, then when I looked at my FPS I noticed a number so low it shocked me, a number I've never seen before despite leaving r_stats on 1 at all times. So despite your fail logic, there are in fact people who see performance drops, at least with this 236 / 237 patch.

ironhorse wrote: »
    Lots of welding particularly from MACs seems to really shit on my FPS big time.
    I reported this as a bug before and a fix was made for this patch. I personally went from a 40 fps loss to something like 5 fps loss after it was fixed. (similar for other playtesters)
    So i'm really confused how that's happening for you. Specs? maybe continue in tech support?

related pics of what was fixed (shadowmaps) :

50 fps no welding:

http://i.imgur.com/yy81Y.jpg

15 fps when welding:

http://i.imgur.com/RLiIK.jpg

Profiler shot:

http://i.imgur.com/yePpH.jpg

I'll attempt to recreate this and grab a video or screenshot of it, and continue this in the tech thread. It really is night and day worse than the previous patches , so it would seem that patch is somehow not compatible with all hardware configs.

AMD FX-8320 running at 4.1ghz , temps stay below 55 C
    Asus m5a97 motherboard
    ATI Radeon HD 6850 1gb gpu
    8gb ddr3 @1600 mhz (stock speed)
    SSD for windows, 7200 rpm sata3 for games

I have most settings on high, I disabled atmospherics and vsync, I also turn infestation to low so I can see objects on the ground better. Otherwise everything is on high and I run at 1600x900 which is my monitors native resolution. In the ready room I get 170-200 fps, early game is around 80-90 and during a fight it typically drops to about 60. Typical average late game FPS was 40s-50s before, now its 30s with the random drops to 20's for who knows what reason.
    Wrong. I run with r_stats 1 every time I play, I get a kick out of watching what things in the game seem to have a larger impact on my FPS. I've also been a pc tech & gamer for 15 years. I think I am capable of noticing the difference between choppy ass 15-20 fps and 40-50 fps during some scenes. For me it was more of a "hey whats going on here, this is different" moment, then when I looked at my FPS I noticed a number so low it shocked me, a number I've never seen before despite leaving r_stats on 1 at all times. So despite your fail logic, there are in fact people who see performance drops, at least with this 236 / 237 patch.

I'll attempt to recreate this and grab a video or screenshot of it, and continue this in the tech thread. It really is night and day worse than the previous patches , so it would seem that patch is somehow not compatible with all hardware configs.

Typical average late game FPS was 40s-50s before, now its 30s with the random drops to 20's for who knows what reason.

The problem is most people do not constantly track their performance with fraps benchmarks and r_Stats or just a controlled environment to see if their frames varies. Some just see the game run at 20-30 fps and for them this is fine and they say it's not a problem. The people who ran it fast around 40-50 and now see 15-20 have issues. I'm not talking about servers that involve 6v6 turn all settings low for max performance. I'm talking about 20p+ servers at normal high settings that ran fine before and have decreased performance now as early as the game starts. Feels we are going backwards now since 235.

You are right though performance decreased around 236 but only people that constantly watch frames all the time notice it and the impact was no where near as huge as 238. I got a kick out of overclocking my system to the limit and saw the frames it produced doing tests to see what made the most gains and everything was fine with each patch. So obviously I would notice I lost frames in 236. But 238 I noticed off the bat when the main menu was showing low frames. Go into a ready room went to 120 from 199. And I rage quit a game after a few minutes of what I was seeing. I could go on but it was shocking to me since I thought 238 was going to correct the issues since 236.
    Just posting to say that since b238 I lost another 20 or so fps, I get 45fps in generator hive with nothing but a few aliens in it, last build I got around 65 or 70 at least. Yes I'm sure, I checked last time.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Same here. Already posted in the tech forum, but anyway: dropped from ~120 fps in readyroom to ~80 fps
    same map, same spot. I do that every new build.
    In game can't even touch the 50fps in empty rooms. and goes down to ~30 most of the time.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xarius wrote: »
    Really coincidental for this worse performance to occur right after a patch, don't you think? My performance also doesn't fluctuate in other games the way it does in NS 2 over the course of several patches, so I find it hard to believe my system is somehow to blame.
    Yeah, well get me to beta test and send logs of performance, i can show things are definitely wrong regarding performance on my system.

• Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    edited January 2013
    my performace also drop in the last update
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope they are going to do something about it. Last few round were so terrible in terms of performance, I don't want to play anymore today.
    Its known and a culprit may have been identified.
    I'll update you as i know more.
    :)