Will there be a first-person mode for spectator?

SkylerSkyler Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12061Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Makes observing aimbotters really difficult without it.</div>Hey, everyone. Long time fan and player, jumped into NS2 the moment it was in alpha, hooray!

I keep running into people who are impossible to kill unless they run completely out of ammo. Most of the time I just shrug it off, but sometimes it's blatantly obvious. I can usually get a "guilty conscience" response if I generalize calling out someone using an aimbot. 99% of the time, the person I've suspected of aimbotting will usually retort with some kind of "learn 2 aim" or something in allchat--even though I never mentioned their name in the first place. I always wait a few moments, too--so it doesn't seem like I'm immediately whining about them killing me.

I don't believe everyone that has an amazing K:D uses an aimbot, but I haven't been gaming for almost 20 years to not be able to know how to notice one.

Anyhow...to my original point: I'd like to know if there's an official change coming to spectator mode: first-person view. I saw that there was a mod that allowed it, but it has been broken for some time.

The reason I ask, is because when I am using the third-person mode, I've been able to watch people track targets, and even watch them jerk their aim around when there are many skulks biting at their ankles...

It sure would make detecting these users a lot easier.

I don't want this thread to de-rail into a cheating/hacking/third party scripts/etc. thread, but watching hackers would be the only thing I would use first-person view for.

Comments

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited January 2013
    There's a mod out now that works for it but I believes servers have to ok it (so none of them) and I believe first person spec official is due for the content patch which was supposed to be in mid Jan, I assume it's been delayed til Feb sometime.

edit: And to my knowledge there's 0 public aimbots in NS2, I think an aimbot would be far too obvious anyway in a game like NS2 with such erratic movement, they're mostly concealed well in games that have ###### all vertical movement, NS2 has boatloads of vertical movement.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Why does everyone who has suspicions of people cheating always refer to their "20 years of gaming experience" ? As if this makes you more qualified to assess whether someone is cheating or not.

As for first person spectating, it is a reasonable request and is being worked on.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Proper first person spectating is very far along, and should be making an appearance soon.

--Cory
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Will spectating in first person include dead players who are watching their teammates?
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    best feature period
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Will spectating in first person include dead players who are watching their teammates?
    I heard you like spectating spectators so we put a spectate spectators feature in the game so you can spectate the spectators.

• ShqkeShqke Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182544Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    that's a good news.
    BTW, i already experienced "you got aimbot", and i don't :/

There is a thing i noticed in the game, tell me if i'm wrong but, there is a little "delay" between the fire and the real damage. (it's not lag i got 30 ms)
    I often die behind a wall where i couldn't have been shot. And sometimes when you kill a skulk who's jumping and get behind you, he dies, and say you can't fire from the back and you cheat. It's just game's engine.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    It is the finest compliment I have ever got in a game and you want to take it away? Boo!
    That was many years ago. Now, people would wonder if my cat was playing on the keyboard, I am so rusty.
  • ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get one gold star everytime someone calls me a hacker.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Skyler wrote: »
    I keep running into people who are impossible to kill unless they run completely out of ammo. Most of the time I just shrug it off, but sometimes it's blatantly obvious. I can usually get a "guilty conscience" response if I generalize calling out someone using an aimbot. 99% of the time, the person I've suspected of aimbotting will usually retort with some kind of "learn 2 aim" or something in allchat--even though I never mentioned their name in the first place. I always wait a few moments, too--so it doesn't seem like I'm immediately whining about them killing me.

People like you are awesome. Good players (read: not hackers) tell you comments like "l2p" afterwards because most of the time there's only one player on the server who's good enough to be accused of hacking. If there's only one player on a server who's sporting a ratio of 26-2, and the next closest person is 5-3, it's pretty obvious that anyone whining about aimbots is talking about the guy with the good ratio. The fact that you're stupid enough to think that's "confirmation" also confirms the idea that the people you think are aimbotting aren't actually cheating at all.

I probably have about 250 hours of non-idled NS2 time played so far, and I can say pretty definitively that I've yet to see anything that'd even come close to qualifying as an aimbot. Of course, I'm actually good at the game which means that I can tell the difference between someone playing at a very high level, and someone who's actually not missing.

Hint: An actual aimbot would be incredibly abusive and obvious to everyone. Not a guy going 53-5, but someone going more along the lines of 90-0 and up. The damage values in NS2 mean that 1 marine chain killing 7 skulks (5 lmg, 2 pistol) in under 5 seconds would be common place. Even the best players right now miss far more than the idiots who cry aimbot realize.
    Also, first person spectator will be awesome. It'll reduce aimbot accusations, but give rise to some mutated form of aimbot accusation in where someone sees legitimate aiming and still calls it an aimbot because that person is drastically better than they are. Quality over quantity imo.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    While I'm looking forward to FPS from a learning point of view. I'm not going to enjoy the unfortunate side effect of it, where admins spectate legit people with good tracking skills, and use it as "proof" that they are botting and ban them.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    While I'm looking forward to FPS from a learning point of view. I'm not going to enjoy the unfortunate side effect of it, where admins spectate legit people with good tracking skills, and use it as "proof" that they are botting and ban them.

Bad admins are rampant in this game anyways. Case in point:

The fragmentedgaming.com server has a terrible admin who banned a player going fade (38-2 ratio) on the basis that such a ratio wasn't legitimate. If admins are stupid enough to ban people over standard fade play, I'm pretty sure they'll make up reasons to ban good players no matter what.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It still isn't a good thing, I know if admins start doing it on any servers I go to I'm going to stop going to them. No point playing on a server where everyone has to be shit or they get banned.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited January 2013
    Bad admins are rampant in this game anyways.
    I think it's more that the 1st person spectating gives the good admins a possibility to actually do their job. Apart from the very most blatantly obvious cases, I don't think it's even possible to make more than an educated guess on how legitimate someone's aim is without seeing some 1st person gameplay.

Also, the 1st person spec is going to allow people to learn the ins and outs a bit quicker, which hopefully leads to less banhammer wielding uninformed admins.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    1st person spectating will definitely help us competitive players who get banned from servers for hacking! I've found this while funny sometimes.. really annoying other times.

Not to mention the help it will bring to watching the really good players in action and making the game more enjoyable to watch in matches!