in what patch break balance?

Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
I ask this question because I have never seen a huge buff to aliens other then gorge spit, which is op but not what people make it out to be,

when the game got released it was about 55% alien wins, since release the only alien buff I can think of is gorge spit being fixed, so why is alien win so high? the lack of marine skill and team work is to blame, balance was never this bad of an issue before the games release but now that all the new players are in they rush aliens and the ones that play marine just don't try hard enough cause well, whats the point marines have a 25% chance of loosing right? well with that attitude yes.

marines need to get phase tech up as early as possible for map control, MAP control is whats going to win the game most of the time, when you have map control you secure RT's and deny aliens easy access, the first thing I do in an "favored alien map" such as veil is scout for aliens start, once I find alien start I do not attack the fully mature hive because that would just be suicide, I will just go to another tech point and camp. the khamander may drop an RT in the tech point im camping I will ignore it until my commander places the phase that im requesting. getting the phase up will not only allow us to secure a tech point, but we will aslo kill the alien rt, claim it as ours and we will be in a bigger advantage then say going to nano.

unfortunately the new players are greedy marines and want nano, unfortunately the commander is listening to more players instead of the players who have a plan and an idea that doesn't involve common thinking, so whats my point?

I think the games balance is fine, I do think gorge spit can use a little nerf in damage but nothing major, to me the problem is not the game, its the players playing it, nobody knows how to get good map control as marines, sometimes its better to skip killing overlook rt and building a ninja phase in sub, because that will give you map control, deny tech point, claim tech point, then when all said and done kill overlook.

opinions?

Comments

• pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Summary: Marines in pubs are bad at aiming and decision making and this is causing them to lose as the more difficult team to learn. I agree.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    No ability to maintain map control due to knock back being removed from phase gates. See the relevant thread on the matter.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Who knows. I guess the people who played alpha and beta would have more details since they have seen most of the gameplay changes. From some videos I've seen things were pretty nuts with lerks having bile bomb and sentries actually being too useful. Did aliens always have an edge? Was there a point when marines were actually steamrolling? The changes from release were minimum and aliens were hit with quite a few nerfs and still prevail. I doubt the recent patches broke any balance.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Release upset the balance. If i remember correctly, we were at about 50/50 right before release and right after it went to the 60/40 that we have now.

New players vs experienced players. New players prefer marines since shooting is more familiar.

Of course there are other issues as well, but this was the biggest shift that i saw
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2067436:date=Jan 27 2013, 07:07 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 27 2013, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who knows. I guess the people who played alpha and beta would have more details since they have seen most of the gameplay changes. From some videos I've seen things were pretty nuts with lerks having bile bomb and sentries actually being too useful. Did aliens always have an edge? Was there a point when marines were actually steamrolling? The changes from release were minimum and aliens were hit with quite a few nerfs and still prevail. I doubt the recent patches broke any balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At the time I bought into the beta the marine GL was an attachement to the assault rifle. I remember that being really really OP. Even though the grenade physics was alot more wonky and frustrating as it is today.

Wasn't marine win rate higher around the launch of the game? The only thing I can remember is that everyone went for marines and aliens lost most times because the newbs had no clue how to play alien.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    the camo / crag patch where they were both buffed iirc
  • ChalarieChalarie Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151459Members
    You are very correct at blaming the players for the balance. This isn't to say the game is perfect, but it still comes down the the players. Balance went all to hell just before release- But not as you may have expected. In fact, before release the balance was (For the first time in a while) marine favored. Then the game was released and all we could do was watch as we saw alien winrates skyrocket.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spit is not and never will be OP. Goddammit, people.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The developers have said that in the first week of release the balance was 51/49 in favour of aliens, and then over the following weeks *without having altered the game at all* the balance shift hard to the alien side, leading to the 60/40ish point we're at now. Despite repeated tweaks, it hasn't budged from that position.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2067478:date=Jan 27 2013, 11:57 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 27 2013, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The developers have said that in the first week of release the balance was 51/49 in favour of aliens, and then over the following weeks *without having altered the game at all* the balance shift hard to the alien side, leading to the 60/40ish point we're at now. Despite repeated tweaks, it hasn't budged from that position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People learned to stop ground skulking :)
  • targetducktargetduck Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180718Members
    edited January 2013
    Aliens were always stronger than marines.

Marines were basically playing close to the skillcap from the start because FPS is familiar to most everybody who plays. Aliens take a bit more time to gain skill and effectiveness with just by being a different game than FPS standard.

Only marine comms have gotten better in any way that benefits marines, but a good comm isn't game winning so much as an average comm can lose you the game.

If we still had 2 base Onos drops, in combat regen bug, super crags and super fast cloaking, aliens would be sitting at a 90% + win rate.
  • DimeinurearDimeinurear Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72955Members
    edited January 2013
    I think part of the problem lies in how cheap alien tech is.

Even in competitive games, I've seen aliens be down by <b>HUNDREDS</b> of res, be down res nodes all game, and then, even at the end, have more team + personal res supplies.

This, and just how cost-effective Lerks are, how basetrading is a VERY common problem, and how many anti-push abilities/buildings the aliens have are a real detriment. (Putting a single whip down the end of a hallway = 2 marines with GLs can't do anything).
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    The release patch was the '5 minute onos' build, which was horrendously boring to play with

I'd rather us be 65% alien / 35% marines than the 50-50 early onos
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Yea aliens have largely dominated all the way through beta, with the exception of some patches, and IMO that is largely the result of alien economy changes which free up more skulks to fight marines and save for higher lifeforms (where as in NS 1 some players had to go gorge and spend res on structures) in combination with faster spawning and a relatively cheap economic model (from the khammander's point of view)

In general though, the marine early game is WAY too important, marines don't stand a chance whatsoever if they can't put enough pressure during the first 5 minutes, which in pubs they rarely can.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    I just don't understand, aliens are winning more and more, even though they have more nerfs since released.
    5 minute onos was removed
    shift costs 5 res for 2 eggs when it use to be 1 per egg
    the only buff I can remember is gorge spit

with all that said aliens are winning more then the release, I just want to make a point its probably not the game, but the players
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2067433:date=Jan 27 2013, 01:01 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 27 2013, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No ability to maintain map control due to knock back being removed from phase gates. See the relevant thread on the matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was a relatively recent change, but did not have a major impact on the stats IIRC. Nothing really has, this alien-favored balance trend emerged on its own shortly after launch and has remained pretty steady. Personally I think the marines are just less accessible as a team right now, pubbers are always unorganized and aliens seem better able to cope with that play style than marines.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Charles Darwin.

I think it's the correct answer. Aliens have always found a way of overcoming the nerfs and come up with new ways of winning. They are more flexible and diverse than marines. Also, they are more fun to play.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    In beta:
    1) Large percentage of players had mics, strong teamwork seems to be more required for marines.
    2) Players whom were still active had accepted the mandate to rush against aliens early in the game, despite marines 'feeling' defensive. Those who didn't accept this tended to rage quit and stop playing in the beta.
    3) Camo was the lol choice. You got camo when you saw teams were stacked.

After release:
    1) Less mics. Harms marines more than aliens.
    2) Initial alien losses at launch, quickly replaced by alien wins as they learn. Marines seem to have not learned much in pubs. They still play too defensively.
    3) Camo got buffed to silly, which made new players even more defensive. Its become ingrained.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2067488:date=Jan 27 2013, 09:25 PM:name=targetduck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (targetduck @ Jan 27 2013, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens were always stronger than marines.

Marines were basically playing close to the skillcap from the start because FPS is familiar to most everybody who plays. Aliens take a bit more time to gain skill and effectiveness with just by being a different game than FPS standard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually think marines are harder to master and that the tilted winrate can thus be explained. Basically what TimMc said: marines rely much more on a working team, comm-trooper interaction is much more vital.
    Sure, the basic mechanics are easier to learn as a marine, but when it comes to strategy and tactics, I think the marines are more sophisticated and just demand more foresight than the aliens do.

When playing alien a single player can have much more impact on the match imo. A single gorge biling the main power node can bring a whole Exo push to a stop by forcing a beacon. A single onos can annihilate a forward base, killing several marines and the pg in a matter of seconds. There is no equivalent in this for a single marine. If one or two marines sneak into the alien base, two skulks or a fade are usually enough to bring them down and aliens can keep pushing at the same time.
  • JamlJaml Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9054Members
    edited January 2013
    In most pubs i play i think it isn´t that the marines are unskilled or don´t work as a team its simply how hard it is for the marines to keep their economy afloat. They have to constantly babysit their resnodes and usually arent fast enough to respond when aliens attack them not because they are unskilled but because aliens are so mobile. Even in competitive games aliens win most of the time, just watch some esl games where you see marines killing all but 2 alien res towers and aliens still winning the tech race, not to speak of all the games where marines even manage to arc push a hive and then still loose because a single alien goes fade and wastes an entire marine squad by himself. I think there is a huge balance problem if pro marine teams on 6 nodes that even get hives down loose to a pro alien team with only 2 res nodes and a single hive. Just yesterday i saw an esl game like that where marines earned 3 times the res aliens did, sucessfully sieged the 2. hive and still lost the game cause they got outteched by the aliens.
    And i think the cause for that is how resource intensive marine tech is compared to alien tech. Aliens just go for carpace,celerity & adrenaline for 30 res each and only need a select few upgrades for their lifeforms basically leap,bile bomb,spores,blink which are all cheap while marines have to spend tons of res on buildings phase gates arcs and other stuff to stay in the game and in pubs marines simply have no chance to earn that many res when even pro marine teams in competitive games with 6+ res nodes struggle to stay in the game.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    I also think there is a misconception about marines needing to be aggressive in early game. Yes that helps them win, but the same is true for the aliens. The problem is, the longer a game runs, the more likely the aliens win. The marines have no way to counter evolved aliens without numerical superiority. It doesnt even take a team of only oni; fades, lerks and gorges are just as decent compared to a single marine.
    Another problem is, that the aliens can cluster the map with their structures, clogs and hydras. Alien fortifications are much harder to clear and take more time and resources (ammo) than marine fortifications. This essentially leads to forcing marines to hit and run hives in the lategame, somthing they are not designed for and not very good at.

Some people like to compare ns2 to MOBA games like dota. Essentially, you have the aliens as a team of hardcarries. It is just, that they only have to survive long enough to go onos and they are made. Killing skulks doesnt really do the marines any good, they have to end the game as fast as possible. This is something pubbers dont like, they want to enjoy their game and have fun killing stuff.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067754:date=Jan 28 2013, 03:04 AM:name=KwisatzHaderach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KwisatzHaderach @ Jan 28 2013, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no equivalent in this for a single marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I beg to differ.

Ninja Phase Gate.

All it requires is one marine smart enough to not shoot every cyst they see...

Never mind, you're right.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I think it was in a news post a while back but nothing was actually patched to change the balance significantly. As I recall it started out about 50 50 on release, then steadily went closer to 60-40 as time went on. Aliens got better at playing, marines didn't, or marines got worse or something.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067913:date=Jan 28 2013, 08:22 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 28 2013, 08:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it was in a news post a while back but nothing was actually patched to change the balance significantly. As I recall it started out about 50 50 on release, then steadily went closer to 60-40 as time went on. Aliens got better at playing, marines didn't, or marines got worse or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The 60% off sale happened. Then came the newbies. So many newbies. They flooded onto the familiar Marine team, green names everywhere! They were quickly devoured by those of us who had been there a while.

60% off, 60% alien win rate... coincidence?! I think NOT!

On a serious note, it is an issue of pub marines needing more confidence and shooting ability. I am very thankful every time I see one guy rambo'ing RTs while the rest of my team is attacking on the occasions I play marine.

Now if only I could get them to start welding each other.... It makes me feel like an old man shouting at kids on the sidewalk as somebody who played NS1.

"Ya' damn kids! Buy some welders and cover each other! Stop running back to the armory! Now look what you've done! Dagnabbit!"
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Admit the frequency with which I encounter marines in need of welding who would benefit from it are few and far between. They tend to either be a stubbed toe away from death or unharmed.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fix the FPS issues -> Marine win rate goes up
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The biggest change was that alien comms learned how to get around the egglock issue. I frequently see shift-first builds in pubs which is the main method to get around egglocking.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    Admit the frequency with which I encounter marines in need of welding who would benefit from it are few and far between. They tend to either be a stubbed toe away from death or unharmed.

I think this is because pub marines run back to the warm embrace of the armory so often. There's no trust in the comm to medpack them and especially in their teammates to weld them, so they don't place themselves in positions where they would require a weld.
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens may be fun to play, IMO.

I personally enjoy playing both sides, but playing as the Aliens was definitely a big appeal when looking to purchase NS2. Maybe thats why we're seeing the big spread.
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold