Welcome to the new UnknownWorlds.com - UnknownWorlds

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just need to get used to it, but otherwise it looks totally fine. If it were a bad design everyone would let you know.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Woah, I went to school (and did group projects with) one of those people in the special thanks section :) Small world.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Flayra wrote: »
    We hope you like the new site everyone!

Change is scary.

• WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Think it would be possible to have an option for users to see the Category view as their homepage instead?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ok! Here goes! First post on the new site!
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    A lot of the features are nice and definitely cleaner. The highlighted posts from devs/important people, the # New Posts feature next to a previously read thread, the darkened out "viewed" threads versus the accented ones that I haven't read.

That being said, I feel your design needs to be tweaked a bit more. Simply minor oversights, I feel, as you clearly put a lot of thought/time into this.

I don't know if you now need an account/be logged in to view the forums but that should clearly be stated front and center when you click on the Forums link.

You need a forum link on every main page from the Unknown Worlds website (linking to a sub menu of which particular game's forums the user wants) to the game specific main pages.

The forum directory showing: General, Getting Started, Etc... should be a bit more identified. You should have clearly labeled, designed links to that particular subset of forums with a notation of "Newest posts" illustrating the most recent posts in the immediate box below. What you're showing is obvious to most people, but the easier you make the 'viewability', the better for every user involved. For example, currently I would see the "General" but until I clicked on that and opened it up I'd have no idea that is where Ideas and Suggestions go, or where Squad Five was currently housed. Same with "Getting Started" and "Technical Support", for example.

Finally once you get into the particular sub forum you want to view you're a bit inundated with clutter. Truthfully, simply removing the avatars from that main forum view would alleviate that in a big way. The avatar's are visible in the thread anyways, so it's redundant in a way.

Edit: Replace the "Options" wheel with a plain old Edit button. Options and a drop down would make sense if you had more options in that particular menu, but since those features aren't necessary/being used, no real need to have it in there.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    It's really fantastic looking—captures the motif of the game to boot!
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    ooooo, its so pretty.....
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Disagree, Agree, Spam, Abuse, Troll"

Nice work!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited January 2013
    first thought "ooh shiny!" gj everyone involved, I will now go dive in and explore what other features it has.
    ps.
    would be awsome to have some spacing between posts in here
  • DysfunctionalDysfunctional Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17055Members
    This new stuff reminds me of facebook, and my antisocial self is very much against anything facebook related. I don't like it at all right now.

However, I will learn to cope as I will spend many hours lurking.

That being said, I want tacos, so I will go make tacos. Or something similar to tacos, maybe. Depends on what the booze has to say about it once I get into the kitchen.

Also, lerks need laser beams. Wall piercing laser beams. :)
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Forums looks great! I'm glad it didn't take a year this time around :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This new stuff reminds me of facebook, and my antisocial self is very much against anything facebook related. I don't like it at all right now.

However, I will learn to cope as I will spend many hours lurking.

I don't see how it's worse than the previous boards, the last boards had a friends feature built in.
  • TriguTrigu Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5807Members
    edited January 2013
    Great job UWE! And it actually took less than a year unlike like the last time... ;)
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Looking spiffy. Do the same old requirements still apply, such as 24kB avatar and short post signature? Trying to fit in more than 5 links in there was really tough.

PS. My PT icon is gone. ┐(╹︿╹※)┌
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It looks very nice. Seems to be working in most areas, and I guess a few tweaks can be added in the next weeks.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I think the link to the Discussions board in the Other section is broken.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Visiting http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ redirects to http://unknownworlds.com/ instead of http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/

This affects the link from http://www.naturalselection2.com/, as well as other places obviously...
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    damn snazzy as a mofo up in here now
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the new site!!

One note though, browsing to forums.unknownworlds.com gives a missing page on my mobile ( iPhone )
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Looks good at first sight!
    test edit - GISP
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BigImp wrote: »
    Visiting http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ redirects to http://unknownworlds.com/ instead of http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/

This affects the link from http://www.naturalselection2.com/, as well as other places obviously...

Yes, please fix this ... no matter the link I always get to unknownworlds.com and have to make additional clicks.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Must... hunt... badges!
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    Must... hunt... badges!

I think this was a good compromise for the people on the forums asking for achievements ingame. Forum achievements!

• PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Looks awesome, nice work guys!

It's going to take a while to get used to, but I like it :D
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Looks good!

As said by others, the avatar icons in the topic list diverts attention from the topics. Signatures could be a bit more clearly separated from the posts. Please make NS themed smileys (until that happens, this is the lerk: :bz ). Add more content (I know the wiki is being worked on, but I mean a story page, recommended NS2 videos and twitch streams and video of the week, link section, mod spotlight).
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You need a redirect for www.unknownworlds.com/blog as you have killed the top google result for 'ns2 blog'.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Looks fantastic. It's far more befitting.

The one thing I'm struggling to find is a 'New Posts' link. Anyone spotted it?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2013
    Ok, let's see if embedding works now.
    Nope.
    oh and editing saves now, good news! :D