Welcome to the new Unknown Worlds Forums!

IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
The Unknown Worlds team has been hard at work creating the new unknownworlds.com, unknownworlds.com/ns2 and forums.unknownworlds.com sites and I think you'll agree they look amazing. You can read a bit more about these changes on the Unknown Worlds Blog.

As you can see, lots of things have changed and everything looks totally different! Don't worry we're all going to be fine, and now is not the time for panic. Over the next few days I'll be around to answer your well written and politely worded questions. I'll even respond to any constructive criticism you might have!

So take some time to explore the new forums and I'll be here to give you the lowdown on anything from Badges to Quoting to why the new forum does not have enough turrents.

Comments

• FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Very professionally done. Hats off. =]
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Yay, finally! Looks great, good job!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    looks are great, but it takes tooo much clicking to go where you wanted to go... (try to get to an ns1 forum for instance ;) )
    so on that part the forum got way screwed up.

but optically: job well done!
    was a good investment.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Will we be able to turn off avatars from appearing next to names outside of threads (i.e in the thread listing, general forum index, etc) It makes the overview so visually busy as all these images only serve to distract the user, so it would be nice if there was at least a personal setting to turn it off.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also there seems to be no edit button :P
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17261Members, Vanilla
    Xarius wrote: »
    Also there seems to be no edit button :P

Click the cog in the titlebar next to "Awesome"
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    shiny & new. >-) Does seem pretty zippy & has reasonable features.. Will continue to assess ... :-?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    derWalter wrote: »
    looks are great, but it takes tooo much clicking to go where you wanted to go... (try to get to an ns1 forum for instance ;) )

was a good investment.

I like the new look and the fact that you can see you posting history easily but I agree it takes more clicks to get somewhere. That and we use to have all the sections on one page with the most recent post next to it.

was a good investment.

I like the new look and the fact that you can see you posting history easily but I agree it takes more clicks to get somewhere. That and we use to have all the sections on one page with the most recent post next to it.

Try the categories view: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    IcyLiquid wrote: »

was a good investment.

Try the categories view: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories

Awwwww yea :D

No complaints here. Great job.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    So the badges/tiles to the right of your avatar are based on the first item on your "Roles" list.

Edit: Slightly wrong on that, but hey. The edit function works well.

Would be neat if you could choose which ones to show, it would also be really neat if there was an NS2 badge which would show the version of you game you bought(special,deluxe,normal) when you link your steam account or add your game key.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Love it so very, very much!

Quick bug report though, the YouTube button isn't clickable on the base http://forums.unknownworlds.com/ url. It works fine everywhere else (including in threads), but you can only get it clickable on the main forum view if you hover over specific bits of the edges. (note this is on FF 18.0.1)
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any way to see what posts have been made since your last visit? I used that a lot.
    sickboy wrote: »
    Love it so very, very much!

Quick bug report though, the YouTube button isn't clickable on the base http://forums.unknownworlds.com/ url. It works fine everywhere else (including in threads), but you can only get it clickable on the main forum view if you hover over specific bits of the edges. (note this is on FF 18.0.1)

Solved, thanks so much :)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minor bug/annoyance: if you click the Quick Search input, there's no visible change until you type in it.
  • tjab0tjab0 Join Date: 2007-10-23 Member: 62710Members
    Please fix the quote-function so you can actually see what is quoted and what new.
  • Ineluki80Ineluki80 Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180772Members
    edited January 2013
    I have to admit that I am deeply disappointed. I realized that the posts I made before the transition are somewhat screwed up. Quotes are not handled properly, the quotes are only introduced by the word "Quote" but without marking the finalization of the quoted text. Also all external links, images and youtube videos are missing in my case. Maybe there went something wrong in the database transfer process.

I had a look at one of my former posts containing a now malformatted quote via the edit button and it turns out that the code of the post was turned into some sort of HTML containing gibberish. As proof, here is an excerpt as code block (yes the whole text appears to be without line breaks now):
    <!--quoteo(post=2067006:date=Jan 26 2013, 03&#58;36 PM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat &#064; Jan 26 2013, 03&#58;36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&amp;pid=2067006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you make one without that coloured overlay? :)<br /><br />P.S. I think that sonar thing would make a perfect effect for the Observatory scan as opposed to the current circles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><br />I guess, you mean with &quot;coloured overlay&quot; my attempt to simulate compound eyes ? You can do this easily yourself, just remove lines 90 to 96 and change line line 132 into <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->return outputPixel + edge*edgeColor*sonar;<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><br /><br />At the moment I am working on a new version. Main features are:<br />- hexagonal compound eyes<br />- depth of field blurring ... so the aliens are short sighted <br />- anisotropic eye dispersion, so light of different wavelength is refractured differently in different parts of the eye, so you get some anti-focal and some prismatic light spreading when going to the perceptional borders<br /><br />I guess, I will upload a new version within this week, so stay tuned.<br /><br />Can someone give me a hint to how to make the shader configurable via some new entries in the graphics options menu ? So one can enable or disable some of the effects or affect their strength ... As I already said, I have absolutely no modding experience.<br /><br />@twiliteblue .. could you pitch me a sniplet of code for multi-pass pixel shading ? Without that, I guess my shader would end up to be too complex/slow.

Could you explain why a smilie appears in the code section ? Normally this should not happen because it is source code. This indicates, that code blocks are now treated in a wrong way which is fatal for the modding forum for which propper source code presentation is of paramount import.

Furthermore, I am missing the small post number in the upper right corner which holds a direct link to the post itself. This was really handy in linking to a special statement. Right now, I would like to link one of my posts here in which the above mentioned problems appear, but I can't.

Edit 1: I figured out, that the gray time stamp above the post text is a link to the post itself, but this is not visibly marked as link at all, and the post number information is still missing (which is only a slight nuisance). For completeness, the posts to which I am referring are this one and that one.

Edit 2: Whoever reformatted my previous posts, really really thanks a lot. If this was done automatically and my complains were just too fast, I apologize for any inconvinience which I may have caused.

Also, I miss the functionality to choose wether I want to be noticed on followup posts or not on a thread basis. In the previous forum software there was such an option directly below the extended edit window.

Even the preview functionality seems to be broken. I just tried it, but the result hardly looks like a final forum post. The text is still in the edit window including the upper edit bar. The only noticeable difference is that the background colour changes to white inside the edit window, the font is changed and the text is not editable anymore. That is totally not what I would expected from a preview function.

I really do not want to complain and I am sure you guys took a lot of effort into the new forum system, but it appears to me that it is not in a state in which I can productively use it at the moment. Therefore, I'd rather prefer a non-fancy but mature and complete forum system that works (like the old one) than a sparkly, fancy, new forum that appears to be malfunctional. If my above mentioned problems could be fixed, I'd be glad to give it a try, but right now I really miss the old forum software.
    @Ineluki80 The date is now the permalink you're looking for. Your post is http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2068172/#Comment_2068172

At the top of the thread there is a small star. Click it. This bookmarks the thread and notifies you as you've requested.
    edited January 2013
    Preview is now fixed.
  • white_jaguarwhite_jaguar Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71439Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Wow!! The new format looks awesome! Well done guys! :-O
    edited January 2013
    Thanks a lot for your reply, IcyLiquid.
    Until now I didn't notice that you answered because while I was editing and revising my post several times, the forum did not notice me that there were new posts to this thread. Only after hitting reload (more or less by accident) the new posts were shown. Maybe showing new posts / updating the thread automatically after submitting changes to a post is a feature worth implementing.

Also, thanks for fixing the preview feature. To be honest, I am still not completely satisfied with it (because due to the edit window the preview text will have other line breakes than the final post) but it is way better than before. <3

Also, could you introduce a preview button for the edit mode ? At the moment you can only have a preview while writing the post for the first time.

Second Question: At the moment, there is only one entry "edit" in the cog menu. Will there be more soon or is it really nessecary/intended to click twice for editing ?

Third thing: It seems that code blocks within old posts are still not handled correctly while the quotes are doing fine now. Thanks a lot for the latter, but will code blocks be adapted, too ?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Is there a "view new posts" page like the old forums? That's the only thing I'm missing from them at the moment. Other than that everything looks great.

Especially love the agree/awesome votes, they will clear up a lot of redundant page spam =)
    After I complained soo much ( and after most of my problems where fixed in notime - much to my delight ), I'd like to emphasise what I like.

Agree, Disagree and Awesome Buttons are awesome ! I think this is a really neat idea.

The automatic @name notification and link functionality is really useful and I admit that I had never thought about it. You did a really great job on this.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Cool! The Penny Arcade forums swapped over to Vanilla a little while ago and that worked pretty great. I'm looking forward to posting on these new forums here too.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited January 2013
    @IcyLiquid yes me and in fact I think I found some bugs. The Login button at the top doesn't seem to work in Opera, and clicking on the dropdown links when you're logged in and fiddling with your profile up there is kind of difficult (maybe just in Opera).

edit: yeah just in Opera. The size of the links seems to be very small when it comes to clicking on them - I have to hover sort of under "Notification Preferences" for instance if I want to click on it. In Opera. Chrome works fine.
    Elaborate on how it difficult?
    edited January 2013
    Quick question: Is the youtube tag supposed to not work anymore ? I tried it but it only gives me a line of text instead of an embedded video.
    Well maybe I just got the syntax wrong, so maybe someone could give me a hint.