Advice For Mine Use?

CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
I'm a terrible shot. I'm getting better, but I'm still terrible. In the meantime, since shotguns are basically a waste in my hands, I figure the best use for my early-to-mid-game pres is to mine the snot out of the Marine bases.

Anyone have any advice on how to most effectively use mines?

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited January 2013
    Do not place them close together. Place them where you would run as a skulk, and places that you would hide as a skulk. Also place them at the very opening lip of a vent. they lose most of their visibility there, and it cuts off escape routes. I place mine in corners near obs, and near the bite range of a phase gate, and randomly near vent openings. I'd say 2 of every 3 i place kills a skulk

Which is also nice because I know when a location is being hit when I see a mine kill. I always place them in an important spot to hold, so it's a bit of a warning system too.

PS: Be aware that lerks, gorges, and skulks can all hit them with their ranged attacks to destroy them. Try to avoid placing them in places where they can sit way back and hit them.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If there's Lerks around, find a nice high ceiling that you can reach, but skulks don't often traverse - and stack 3 mines together as closely as possible. Whack-A-Lerk-A-Bomb.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Deposit on Mines is my favourite place to go crazy with the mines - I put them at about waist height on each wall-corner of the base from sorting side, also at the bottom of the steps leading up from the conveyor belt, and at the top of the steps, and just over the railings there- usually get a kill or assist for each mine I place like that.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    Space them out and keep in mind they are meant to wound/delay/defend not necessarily to kill so 3 spaced out mines around a forward base (all in the same general area) is more useful then placing 3 close together trying to get a random kill. Also another important note is to remind/ask others to buy them. getting 1 person to mine a phase gate is great..getting 3 to mine the general area is very powerful.

As far as where to place them I think it depends on the situation. Use your best judgment on where the skulks will go and what is the most important building to defend at the time.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Put them all on top of each other
    Stand just in front of them
    Wait for a skulk
    Die in glorious hellfire
  • targetducktargetduck Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180718Members
    Do the obvious things. Stick them on phase gates, beside armories or in commonly used vents. Spread them out so they dont chain detonate. Place well away from cyst fronts so alien comm doesn't spam cysts to detonate them.

Offensively dont place them on walls. Good skulks dont travel on the floor much, but all marines stand on the ground. Mines aren't great for suprising skulks (as alien vision exists) they are placed to give your team mates a safer spot to stand on or retreat to while reloading.

Placing them around corners is a trade off - you might kill a few careless aliens but the trade off is that any marine standing near it as a point of safety wont have great lines of sight.

Most importantly tell your team mates to stand with your mines let the few that miss the tips screen know they wont lose a leg.

They have a narrow window of usefulness because of bile but if you'll still have 15 res for the essential jetpack and welder and you cant shoot at all then you can put all your res into them for the whole game and still cause damage.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Place them near any structures that are likely to be attacked, on the side where the skulk/lerk/fade is most likely to be on when attacking it.

ie: The backside of an RT or next to an Observatory, IP, Prototype Lab, Armoury.

If you place the mines well, their model is partially hidden by the structure you're trying to protect.
    Mines will set each other off, so space them out a bit, and keep in mind mines are more area denial/a deterrent than a "free kill".
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066416:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:40 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 25 2013, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Put them all on top of each other
    Stand just in front of them
    Wait for a skulk
    Die in glorious hellfire<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly before I knew your own mines could kill you I put 3 around me and stood still goofing around.. not 5 seconds after I did it a gorge came and tossed 1 bile bomb at me and took me out. I about died from laughter.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd add that even if you are decent with a shotgun, it's STILL worth getting mines early. I always research mines very early (often first!), and many marine comms I've played with do too. In the very early stages they can really stifle the aliens. Even if they don't get many kills, they make the aliens quite wary, and often easier to kill as a result (ie they don't bomb around at 100mph because they fear mines placed around corners etc).

In an attacking mode, they are also fantastic (as already mentioned above) when placed under your teammates' feet. Place a mine, swap places, shoot aliens. Nice.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Mines are fantastic and borderline OP. They are the FIRST thing I research as a comm. Then welders and phase.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    I research mines first, but nobody other than me places any.

They're too buys saving for Exos.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    im becoming a good shot again on LMG.. (been a while since ns1)
    I am still very terrible at shotguns so I spam all my pres into mines.

So indeed basics...

* Ip
    * cc
    * obs
    * armslab
    * vents
    * rts
    * phasegate
    * and even power nodes
    * anything where you see a lot of kharaa movement & is not infested

So much to choose from, I usually run out mines fast.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    You should only buy mines before lerks, and before second hive bile bomb. That means you should buy a total of 2 mines, maybe 3 packs of mines tops. After that, practice your shotgun.

In competitive games, you can rely on your commander to jump out and place his mines around the base. (I like 2 near IPs, one near the CC to cover commander jumping out)

Else, when you're on the field, you have a few choices. You want to use two mines for defense, one mine for offense. That means something like-

1 in a vent
    1 behind an RT's blind spot

and then if you're attacking a res tower, throw it at your feet when you hear skulkies about to ambush you

The BEST places to put mines are in vents. You destroy skulk resource harassment routes, and if you're lucky you can get a lerk kill if a skulk didn't detonate the mine. Putting it behind resource nodes is good- when you come back the skulk can't hide behind the RT and will be easily sniped.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I just make smiley faces on walls with them
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066438:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:01 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 25 2013, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines are fantastic and borderline OP. They are the FIRST thing I research as a comm. Then welders and phase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never understood the fascination with super-early welders, especially in a pub setting where 95% of players aren't going to use them correctly (weld friendly armor). Whereas Mines and Phase tech you're definitely going to see some strong value out of them as your first couple upgrades.

Most of the time when welders would actually be useful you can research them while the skulk is chewing on the phasegate and you're telling the team to phase through, at which point welders are ready the moment they're actually needed. The benefit of course being that you'll have researched other more important, directly-usable technology earlier in the game (like getting phase tech slightly faster and saving towards Arms Lab stuff.)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I have a hard time seeing mines as anything but a waste of res. Strictly speaking Mines are worse than sentries in every way that matters. Sentries cover a larger area for more damage and take longer to remove as a threat for practically the same cost (tres vs pres not withstanding). When I see mines down as an alien I just see it as free pres denial, unlike guns that the marines can get back so easily.
  • HockeybeardHockeybeard Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 181995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066538:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:46 AM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 25 2013, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a hard time seeing mines as anything but a waste of res. Strictly speaking Mines are worse than sentries in every way that matters. Sentries cover a larger area for more damage and take longer to remove as a threat for practically the same cost (tres vs pres not withstanding). When I see mines down as an alien I just see it as free pres denial, unlike guns that the marines can get back so easily.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mines are early game and don't require a robot lab.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    Especially in low player count games, mines are a force multiplier as mines can stop a single skulk from causing huge damage while a room is unoccupied. I research mines at the very start every game I comm, then I hop out as soon as they are finished and place them around the IPs and the Power. This helps with early skulk rushes. I have found that once the aliens learn we have mines placed, single skulk base attacks drop off significantly.

If I not comming and am on the ground, I make sure that the base is well mined and then make sure to place them around the forward phase gates. If we have a forward armory, I usually place them around that room to help with defense.

Because I use most of my p-res on mines, I usually don't get to play with the heavy equipment, but I make sure I always have enough p-res for a welder so that I can support my buddies in the exos.

<!--quoteo(post=2066548:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:05 PM:name=Hockeybeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hockeybeard @ Jan 25 2013, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines are early game and don't require a robot lab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true to an extent. While bile bomb negates mines, without gorge support they will help during a small engagement at a forward outpost as fades will not only have to worry about shotgun blasts, but also avoiding mines.

<!--quoteo(post=2066442:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:03 AM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I research mines first, but nobody other than me places any.

They're too buys saving for Exos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was comming a game on veil a few days ago, we got a good base in pipeline going and I ask "Hey, can someone place some mines around the phase gate?" After a few minutes I notice that there are no mines placed so I request again. Still, nobody did it. So then I start asking specific people if they could place some mines. One guy told me "No" So I jokingly said "fine, you get no medpacks" so I find another guy and specifically told him to place mines, he also says "No". I start seeing red at this point and and told my team "###### it, you guys are on your own" and immediately quit. As a comm, you just can't fight the aliens, as well as your own team.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Always mine phase gates, early game make sure the obs is mined up too, you can generally stop mining the obs once phases are up and someone is ready to defend it immediately. They can also be used aggressively, eg. pushing for nano early game, run in, drop mines everywhere, easy hold til phases.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066538:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:46 PM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 25 2013, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a hard time seeing mines as anything but a waste of res. Strictly speaking Mines are worse than sentries in every way that matters. Sentries cover a larger area for more damage and take longer to remove as a threat for practically the same cost <u><b>(tres vs pres not withstanding)</b></u>. When I see mines down as an alien I just see it as free pres denial, unlike guns that the marines can get back so easily.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The TRes you spend on a sentry farm (not to mention a robo factory) could be Armor 1 + change. For example, armor 1 benefits all marines and helps them survive longer, whereas a sentry farm sits in base and flails uselessly as skulks ignore it (or use a sentry gun as cover against the other sentry guns, like I do).

The TRes you spend on mine research could ALSO be armor 1, but the difference between it and a sentry farm is it doesn't require a robo factory, it's cheaper by 5 res. And the most important part is that it leverages your team's PRes (and you can hop out of the chair to buy a pack of mines yourself), leaving the TRes exclusively for upgrades that your team needs. Mines can hurt multiple aliens all at once, and they greatly stack the odds in favor of marines holding a hive location until PGs.

Obviously mines get 'used' up as aliens step on them, and some mines never get triggered at all due to poor placement. Mines also become near useless as the game progresses. But in the early game - before lerks are even up - mines are borderline OP vs base skulks with 70hp/10a, no upgrades and no leap.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    Mines are useful early but you need to make sure you and your team aren't over doing it. I have seen a few games lost because marines spend far too much pres on mines. In a game the other day, I was on an alien team that didn't care about getting killed. The marines were placing mines everywhere. My entire team was getting killed by mines a lot as the marines just kept replacing them. They lost bad as soon as we started evolving because they had nothing to counter the higher life forms.