mouse sensitivity?

TurboCatTurboCat Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176811Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">how to get accurate with marines!</div>Hi all I have been playing with mouse sensitivity lately and decided to keep mine low. So low in fact that turning has become to a point tedious while being skulked on. I basically move a bit but in a way also wait for skulks to enter that sweet spot and begin bursting with the rifle. What are your experiences with sensitivity and settings? Also I know I'm having frame rate drops is this a cause for concern if I'm hitting say 20 - 30 fps?

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    20-30fps is passable, but not ideal.

I personally use 6 inches per 360 degrees sensitivity. Sounds like you have something like 15in/360, which is a bit low.
  • PremonitionPremonition Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177620Members
    Alright first thing first, your user name isn't the smartest choice on a moderated board :P.

Now onto your actual question. I too recently been fiddling around with my mouse sensitivity to find a proper one. Previously I was playing with an extremely high sensitivity, and was aiming almost completely with my wrist. Now I wasn't a bad shot, but mechanically it wasn't ideal for flick shots because at such a high sensitivity there is very little margin for error in your hand movements.

If this sounds familiar the biggest hurdle in transitioning to lower mouse sensitivity is getting used to using your elbow while aiming. Next time you are playing and having trouble with tracking in large arc lengths, see if you are using your elbow while aiming. Or if you are still using wrist biased aiming.

As for FPS. Personally I find it a hassle when trying to play an first person shooter at anything less 60 FPS. High FPS won't necessarily make your aim better, but the graphical stutter can sometimes cause you to overcompensate in some scenarios. If you do want to get better FPS, NS2 is generally a CPU limited game for most people. Someone more knowledge in programming can feel free to expand or correct me here.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    lower sensitivity can help with tracking skulks tho, as higher will increase the likelihood of over correcting and missing. At least until you get enough that you can increase it.
    Thats what i have found at least.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    i love the OP's name pls dont change it

PS:
    sensitivity is a very personal choice, some people also prefer raw imput and zero mouse acceleration.
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    You need to go in your windows mouse settings under Pointer Options tab and untick Enhance pointer precision. You should do this regardless of the input choice you use.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    My sensitivity as marine is rather low, so when I go comm as a marine I never micro anything because there's no separate bind for commander sensitivity so it takes me 5 seconds to move across the screen.

GIEF SEPARATE COMMANDER BINDS PLZ.
  • TurboCatTurboCat Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064903:date=Jan 22 2013, 09:08 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 22 2013, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i love the OP's name pls dont change it

PS:
    sensitivity is a very personal choice, some people also prefer raw imput and zero mouse acceleration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe that's my issue mouse acceleration I definitely feel it playing aliens.
  • TurboCatTurboCat Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176811Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064920:date=Jan 22 2013, 09:42 AM:name=neighbs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neighbs @ Jan 22 2013, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need to go in your windows mouse settings under Pointer Options tab and untick Enhance pointer precision. You should do this regardless of the input choice you use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this mouse acceleration technically?
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064928:date=Jan 22 2013, 11:56 AM:name=TurboCat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TurboCat @ Jan 22 2013, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this mouse acceleration technically?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess so, Windows like to rename things. Other sources say yes, it is Mouse Acceleration or its effect is the same.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    There must be some sort of inside joke i am missing @ OP's name.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    he changed it..used to be TurboC*nt
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <a href="http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html</a>