[Idea] Stimpack/Personal Cloaking

StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">For Marines</div><!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Stimpack</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

-Give Marines a movement boost upon activation.
-Duration 5-10 seconds (Whatever is balanced).
-Would either use pres or have a cool-down. Say 2 pres or 20-30 second cool-down.
-Could possibly drain 10hp per use if balance requires. (Side effects of the injection)

<i>"These inbuilt chemical delivery systems dose marines with a powerful mix of synthetic adrenaline, endorphins, and a psychotropic aggression enhancer. Marines on stims benefit from greatly increased speed and reflexes, but are subject to long-term side effects including and not limited to insomnia, weight loss, mania/hypomania, seizures, paranoiac hallucinations, internal hemorrhaging, and cerebral deterioration. Nonetheless, both commanders and the marines themselves stand by the use of stims as essential to their continued survival and effectiveness on the battlefield."</i>

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Personal Cloaking</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

-Researched at the prototype lab.
-Research cost would be 25 res.
-Personal res cost would be 15 res.
-Cloak energy is consumed at a rate of 1 energy per tick and Cloak is disabled when the unit's energy depletes.
-Using the same depletion method as jetpack does. There would be a total of 10 ticks before a cloaked unit becomes uncloaked.
-If a unit that is cloaked attacks, touches a building, touches an enemy player, or turns on his flashlight; he becomes uncloaked.

<i>"Stealth is the art of concealing our own defects, and discovering the enemy's weaknesses."</i>

Comments

• BanditaBandita Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180393Members
    Very starcrafty :)
    But I like the ideas. At the moment I see little changes in the game between the shotgun and the jetpack/ exo except the stat increasing armor and weapon research.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Not quite in favour of stimpacks, you have sprint, phase tech and jetpacks already for marine mobility, not sure we need anything else for that. HOWEVER something like this to increase <b>reload time</b> for a duration (maybe just long enough to pump out 2 rifle clips and reload for the third) would be really cool.

Personal cloaking would ONLY be acceptable IMO as a kind of IR-cloak, so you are still largely visible except to the alien vision - most aliens pretty much always have alien vision on as it offers no disadvantages over having it off. This would eliminate that advantage and give marines a subtle counter to it.
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062623:date=Jan 18 2013, 06:37 AM:name=meatmachine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meatmachine @ Jan 18 2013, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not quite in favour of stimpacks, you have sprint, phase tech and jetpacks already for marine mobility, not sure we need anything else for that. HOWEVER something like this to increase <b>reload time</b> for a duration (maybe just long enough to pump out 2 rifle clips and reload for the third) would be really cool.

Personal cloaking would ONLY be acceptable IMO as a kind of IR-cloak, so you are still largely visible except to the alien vision - most aliens pretty much always have alien vision on as it offers no disadvantages over having it off. This would eliminate that advantage and give marines a subtle counter to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But sprint is very slow and only last for a certain amount of time. It hardly stacks up to the constant quickness of the skulk movement speed. I think for the marine to have a quick speed boost at the cost of 10 life would be balanced. I mean shoot we have adrenaline injections in 2013. Why don't they have super awesome marine ones in the future? :P

Well that's why the cloaking has a timer on it. So you can't just cruise the map invisible. You would have to activate it when the time is right, maybe sneak into the hive and snipe an upgrade or two. Or use it to scout a hive, or an enemy location to see what the best plan of attack would be. Also, I agree that they shouldn't be completely invisible like Alien camouflage. Maybe have it so when moving the marine is a blur. So you would kind of see the ripples in the environment as the cloaked marine moves. This is based off of my idea that the marine technology is not as advanced as the Alien organic evolutions and that after fighting the Kharaa in NS1, the Marines tried to adapt the cloaking to benefit themselves. Although it shouldn't be blatantly visible because that would defeat the purpose. Something that if you're not paying attention you possibly won't see. And if you are paying attention for it there's a good chance you can spot it.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062830:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:21 PM:name=StriderNS2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StriderNS2 @ Jan 18 2013, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But sprint is very slow and only last for a certain amount of time. It hardly stacks up to the constant quickness of the skulk movement speed. I think for the marine to have a quick speed boost at the cost of 10 life would be balanced. I mean shoot we have adrenaline injections in 2013. Why don't they have super awesome marine ones in the future? :P

Well that's why the cloaking has a timer on it. So you can't just cruise the map invisible. You would have to activate it when the time is right, maybe sneak into the hive and snipe an upgrade or two. Or use it to scout a hive, or an enemy location to see what the best plan of attack would be. Also, I agree that they shouldn't be completely invisible like Alien camouflage. Maybe have it so when moving the marine is a blur. So you would kind of see the ripples in the environment as the cloaked marine moves. This is based off of my idea that the marine technology is not as advanced as the Alien organic evolutions and that after fighting the Kharaa in NS1, the Marines tried to adapt the cloaking to benefit themselves. Although it shouldn't be blatantly visible because that would defeat the purpose. Something that if you're not paying attention you possibly won't see. And if you are paying attention for it there's a good chance you can spot it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you sprint with your axe out you are faster than a skulk without celerity.
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062831:date=Jan 18 2013, 01:25 PM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 18 2013, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you sprint with your axe out you are faster than a skulk without celerity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if you drop your main/secondary weapon lol. What's the point of that?
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    They had both of these at least in some form in NS1.

Catalyst Packs:

Increased your rate of fire and movement, can't remember the percentage.

Motion Tracking:

It's not a personal cloaking device, but it did reveal Aliens that were moving through walls. It pretty much negates the need for a cloaking device on a Marine, as you always know where your enemies are.

Why neither are in NS2 at least in some capacity is beyond me. My guess would likely be due to the fundamental differences in mapping between NS1 and NS2. Catalyst Packs with a 50 Ammo Rifle, seems a bit too OP for me though. Also, Motion Tracking would be too OP in the NS2 environment, as it would make an already worthless Hive Tree (Shade) even more worthless in Mid-End game.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2062623:date=Jan 18 2013, 06:07 PM:name=meatmachine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meatmachine @ Jan 18 2013, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]
    Personal cloaking would ONLY be acceptable IMO as a kind of IR-cloak, so you are still largely visible except to the alien vision - most aliens pretty much always have alien vision on as it offers no disadvantages over having it off. This would eliminate that advantage and give marines a subtle counter to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dude, like a device that causes you to be invisible to alien vision, but still completely visible in regular, would be <b>awesome!</b>