Problem I saw with new cyst range

2»

Comments

• Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    i never had a problem with cyst spam, but then again i almost always run around with a welder.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Random offtopic infestation whine:

1 cyst = 1 tres
    It takes like 1,5min for it to mature. With 2 nutrient mists (2 res per use) its only around 30seconds.

6 cysts are enough to cover a room as big as reactor core on summit for example.

It takes more than a full lmg magazine, more than 2 pistol mags to kill a single matured cyst.
    with weapon 3 its nearly a full lmg magazine and almost 2 full pistol magazines 3 shotgun shots.

The longer a game goes the more res you can spent exclusively on spamming cysts. (assuming you didnt ###### up)

Attacking structures, gives the other team time to get to you, and creates easier opportunities to attack you. You hear less while attacking because of weapon sounds, you might get attack shortly before or during reloading or you have to swap weapon because you attacked with your axe or welder.

Once aliens destroyed a powernode and placed cysts in a room marines need to repair the powernode and clear the cysts before they are able to do anything with it again... add cyst spam and attackinbg lifeforms for more fun.

It feels like you spent 50% of your time fighting cysts than actual other players or "proper" structures.

Maybe if i was an ai marine in sc2 i would like that.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    ^
    This, I approve. Removing cysts would make the game actually much more enjoyable to play. Also powernodes are pretty annoying.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    Makes perfect sense. In addition:

Cysts are a MASSIVE distraction/trap for players and it's really hard to explain that... actually, you're better off ignoring that - ignore that the fact that it belongs to the kharaa. It pulls away noobies into pointless tasks and makes teamwork harder than ever in public games. That said, who can blame them for wanting to wipe out all traces of the opposition? It's a perfectly natural goal. Pumping bullets into cysts hasn't got any less boring, either.

The new changes are a big step in the right direction but I'd still rather see the back of cysts entirely.
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    yeah why not scrap all the structures and make it deathmatch, no need for all this rts bs, building and killing structures or holding and defending areas is just a waste of time...

kinda pointless since they already changed the gameplay mechanics...
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    The old range/infestation spread circumference was definitely better. I think they should keep the cyst health at whatever 236 implemented, but restore the other specifications. Now what we get is a bunch of problems with placing cysts and the infestation leaves uncovered pockets in between cysts. :/
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Again... A very easy fix: <u><b>Calculate the min-distance the same way you calculate the max-distance.</b></u> (=AI movement code)

And the problem is gone.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    alot of interesting suggestions here.
    but how about a simple solution.

Just FIX CYSTS that they do NOT get blocked by cysts on a lower/higher level?!
    If cysts infest an Area of at least 7m radius and they do not get blocked by cysts on diffrent levels you will never run into that problem.

My thoughts on the release of the game were, that the game will take around one more year to be polished.
    (not talking about balance)

greetings
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062590:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:32 AM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Jan 18 2013, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just FIX CYSTS that they do NOT get blocked by cysts on a lower/higher level?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So we can spam 20 cysts within one square meter depending on elevation and maps need to be remade to balance around cysts? no thanks.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Elevation doesn't seem to have an effect in most situations.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    They should playtest these things before release
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I prefer this change, I've noticed that my server is running much better with the cyst spamming being stunted. It took me a little getting used too first time commanding aliens, but that's like all new things. Once you get used to it it's fine and it has a much better impact then the way it was, and that's the bottom line really.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited January 2013
    In addition, because you cannot place too many in one area I am seeing a substantial difference with less people complaining of FPS drop client side.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    Hey,

I had this problem with the restower in Atrium. Pretty annoying to have your 2nd hive without a restower and marines pressuring you all the time in reactor core, crevice, and so on.

So, I dunno about cyst range (the FPS drop would be a valid argument pro cyst range, the "keep em busy"-cyst-spamming is a valid argument against it), but PLEASE fix that problem in Atrium. The ablity for Khammander to remove cysts should be a easy fix to add to the game.

Also, I don't quite get what's that about cyst range. Some of them were really close together.

BTW: I HATE BUILDING CYSTS UPHILL, DOWNHILL, AROUND MANY CORNERS/OBSTACLES. the range shown is NEVER the range I can really build, and now I can't even take all the restowers anymore.