19 Alien wins, 4 marine wins, still counting...

MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
Since patch 236 that is the stats, 82% alien wins. Pathetic. Before patch 236, I tracked 83 games, 62 of them Aliens won (74%). But hey, flame this post instead. Keep it coming with all of the L2P, and marines can't shoot and yada yada yada. Statistics simply do not lie and no excuse will make it so. I am pushing this so hard because I love the game and wish it could get fixed. But I have to fight though all the people on this forum giving endless excuses and drowning people like me out.

Get a piece of paper and a pen and leave it by your PC. Track each win. Its not so tough. Unless you want the game to stay at a 75% imbalance, track it. Then post it. Prove to yourself and UWE, this game is broken and needs to be fixed. ASAP. It should have been addressed months ago.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited January 2013
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">Let me save you some time</a>.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062401:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:46 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jan 17 2013, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">Let me save you some time</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I must be missing something here.... I looked through the whole ns2stats.org page and don't see where it says win/loss ratios for aliens/marines.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2062405:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:05 PM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 17 2013, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must be missing something here.... I looked through the whole ns2stats.org page and don't see where it says win/loss ratios for aliens/marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's on the right side of the page. Pie chart.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anything, this patch made it easier to play as 'rines.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->It's only early yet, but pub games for builds 236 and 237 show an alien win rate around 60%. Definitely looking like an improvement so far.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062409:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:20 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Jan 17 2013, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anything, this patch made it easier to play as 'rines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How so? I know the wall walk hitreg was improved but that's overlapped by the gorge hitreg buff and map changes.

I think there was also a Lerk hitreg buff as well, but I'm not sure. (Anyone know if that's true or not?)

<!--quoteo(post=2062410:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:24 PM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Jan 17 2013, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->It's only early yet, but pub games for builds 236 and 237 show an alien win rate around 60%. Definitely looking like an improvement so far.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't the Alien/Marine winrate always around 60%? That'd mean there hasn't been any change.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The fix we applied <i>may</i> also benefit marines firing at lerks in some situations. Don't worry, more improvements are on the way.

And the win rate was actually around 70% for aliens before. Again, it's only early and not a huge sample size, but it's an improvement. :P<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062415:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:31 PM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Jan 17 2013, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The fix we applied <i>may</i> also benefit marines firing at lerks in some situations. Don't worry, more improvements are on the way.

And the win rate was actually around 70% for aliens before. Again, it's only early and not a huge sample size, but it's an improvement. :P<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh wow. That's even worse than I thought @___@. Well, the equalization of W/L is good then.
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The improved hitreg and (hopefully) performance should help marines get back on their feet for now. Once the content update arrives around the end of the month, things will be shaken up quite a bit.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062399:date=Jan 18 2013, 01:40 PM:name=MrChoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChoke @ Jan 18 2013, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since patch 236 that is the stats, 82% alien wins. Pathetic. Before patch 236, I tracked 83 games, 62 of them Aliens won (74%). But hey, flame this post instead. Keep it coming with all of the L2P, and marines can't shoot and yada yada yada. Statistics simply do not lie and no excuse will make it so. I am pushing this so hard because I love the game and wish it could get fixed. But I have to fight though all the people on this forum giving endless excuses and drowning people like me out.

Get a piece of paper and a pen and leave it by your PC. Track each win. Its not so tough. Unless you want the game to stay at a 75% imbalance, track it. Then post it. Prove to yourself and UWE, this game is broken and needs to be fixed. ASAP. It should have been addressed months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You say statistics dont lie? Then why is there the famous saying of "Bullsh1t, Lies & Statistics"?
    Statistics by them selves mean nothing, raw uncleansed data is totally unusable for anything other than taking up space.

Anyone who works with historical data and uses it to help predict future events knows this, there are hundreds of variables that made up those results such as;
    Map size
    Starting locations
    players on server
    Comm experience
    Player experience
    Player skill
    How long hte game went for.
    Tech paths chosen
    Rate at which upgrades obtained
    How aggressive did your team play
    Map control
    etc etc

You cant compare data sets unless all the variables match (or atleast 90+%) as each of these variables can contribute to the game being won/lost.
    You may well know how to play yourself...but if your team does not individual skill has almost no bearing on the result.
    If you could take data on face value I would not have my job...and neither would countless people around the world, weather reports would be more accurate than we see currently (after all they are looking at data). But alas it has to be contextualised and sometimes normalised as some data is an anomoly and not a real data set (ie troll comms recycling).

I know its frustrating being on a side that loses...some servers I have come across it seems one side always wins...thats more due to a skill inbalance and team stacks.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062399:date=Jan 17 2013, 09:40 PM:name=MrChoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChoke @ Jan 17 2013, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since patch 236 that is the stats, 82% alien wins. Pathetic. Before patch 236, I tracked 83 games, 62 of them Aliens won (74%). But hey, flame this post instead. Keep it coming with all of the L2P, and marines can't shoot and yada yada yada. Statistics simply do not lie and no excuse will make it so. I am pushing this so hard because I love the game and wish it could get fixed. But I have to fight though all the people on this forum giving endless excuses and drowning people like me out.

Get a piece of paper and a pen and leave it by your PC. Track each win. Its not so tough. Unless you want the game to stay at a 75% imbalance, track it. Then post it. Prove to yourself and UWE, this game is broken and needs to be fixed. ASAP. It should have been addressed months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And just where are you getting your accurate percentage ratio from? Your hand written calculations on a notepad next to your mouse?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062419:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:39 PM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Jan 17 2013, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The improved hitreg and (hopefully) performance should help marines get back on their feet for now. Once the content update arrives around the end of the month, things will be shaken up quite a bit.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that patch gives gorges tunnels and babblers. I mean idk how it will work but I can imagine what options aliens get with that. Meanwhile all I hear is that marines get a railgun exo while nice, is still a late game option and will require extra research in addition to the normal exo. And it's still an exo in speed, HUD obstruction and the fact that it cannot phase or beacon.

I know there will probably be more surprises to the content patch than just this. I'm just afraid the shake up will just give aliens more of an upper hand. So I just really hope things go well.

As for performance has anyone even gotten an increase? It feels more or less the same for me and in some cases I get less as I tend to test frames in the same area every time a new patch releases.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    NS2stats had the alien win rate at ~70% on the day the patch dropped, but that was a very small sample. The ~60% mark is where it has been for over a month. The last time the ratio dropped was when they patched the game to limit Onos egg drops to three hives. It was sitting around the 2/3rds mark prior to that. (according to the developers anyway)
  • BULLET WIZARDBULLET WIZARD Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177702Members
    It astounds me that people think tracking their own games gives them enough data to provide remotely accurate statistics, particularly just after a patch came out.

We'll need thousands of games to determine where the balance truly lies, and any early imbalance can be attributed to people simply not knowing how to deal with the changes, what if the swing towards marines doesn't slow down?

Might be that since the patch there's a lot more gorges with better hit reg and combined with marines being over confidant at killing gorges is what the stats are reflecting for now, if that's the case people playing marine side will adapt.

We shouldn't draw conclusions so soon, even based off NS2stats.

Could go either way, we'll see once the dust has settled.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gonna be honest here and say the hitreg in this patch is pretty much the same as before. Skulks that just run around on the walls do seem a little easier to kill - but there are still major problems with the hit detection.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    > only tracks own games played
    > result is +-25% more skewed than much more general stats covering many thousands of games
    > doesn't think its a learn to play issue

idontthinksotim.jpg
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062407:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:18 PM:name=Doppy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doppy @ Jan 17 2013, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's on the right side of the page. Pie chart.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figured it out.... internet explorer wasn't bringing anything up except for a small box and search field when I went to ns2stats.org... switched to firefox and it shows everything.

<!--quoteo(post=2062420:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:41 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 17 2013, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You say statistics dont lie? Then why is there the famous saying of "Bullsh1t, Lies & Statistics"?
    Statistics by them selves mean nothing, raw uncleansed data is totally unusable for anything other than taking up space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is valuable information that<u><i> can</i></u> be gleaned out from raw data if that data is sufficiently large enough or is taken from a large enough pool. When large amounts of data is taken, the percentage of anomolies such as troll comming becomes miniscule enough to disregard trying to account for it entirely and it also normalizes some variables such as player skill.

The OP's data though is entirely too small. NS2stats is better.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    >23 matches
    >STATISTICS
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    My stats are roughly 50% thus far...
    <!--quoteo(post=2062420:date=Jan 18 2013, 06:41 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 18 2013, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Statistics by them selves mean nothing, raw unbiased data is totally unusable for anything other than taking up space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fixd it for you
  • TinksTinks Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179949Members
    NS2stats isn't reliable either. It's not a sample from all servers
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062458:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:57 PM:name=Tinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tinks @ Jan 17 2013, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2stats isn't reliable either. It's not a sample from all servers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, but it's still a huge sample. By your logic, every poll ever conducted for anything is grossly inaccurate since the conductor didn't ask every person on the planet.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    only a very specific hitreg issue was fixed - the one relating to wallclimbing animation sync. it's still as present as ever. unfortunately on top of that, performance was not improved for me this build - I am experiencing much more rubberbanding, probably once every engagement a skulk will warp into the floor or backwards, making tracking nearly impossible.

regarding the topic: it doesn't really matter what the winrate is until you take a step back and understand what causes the winrate to be skewed, then you have something significant. otherwise the thread is simply a waste of time discussing points that are covered in introductory statistics.
  • JeffeyJeffey Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062460:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:01 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 17 2013, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, but it's still a huge sample. By your logic, every poll ever conducted for anything is grossly inaccurate since the conductor didn't ask every person on the planet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The difference is that in a poll bias is reduced by methodologically administering polls, while in NS2Stats case it is by whoever feels like installing the mod on their server, which isn't random. God knows what affect that has on the data, but you probably shouldn't disregard it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062457:date=Jan 18 2013, 03:56 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 18 2013, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fixd it for you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hahaha...very funny.

To say raw data is unbiased ignores the events that led to the data being there.
    An example of this is if you have a big 1 off sale, you will see your profits go through the roof for that week.
    Well if you just take that weeks worth of raw data...its terribly biased.

Sorry but nothing is unbiased...raw data or not....there are always factors that have influenced (or biased) the outcome/result.

<!--quoteo(post=2062464:date=Jan 18 2013, 04:08 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 18 2013, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->regarding the topic: it doesn't really matter what the winrate is until you take a step back and understand what causes the winrate to be skewed, then you have something significant. otherwise the thread is simply a waste of time discussing points that are covered in introductory statistics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, its teh taking a step back and understanding what the data says thats the hard part, people want an easy face value answer and there often isn't one....sure there is an answer but its hidden and not sraight forward to see/find.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    1200 buddy, you need 1200 *truly* random samples. Which entropy may have something to say about.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062411:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:25 PM:name=Vigilantia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vigilantia @ Jan 17 2013, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think there was also a Lerk hitreg buff as well, but I'm not sure. (Anyone know if that's true or not?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I play lerk regularly, and it does seem as if I'm getting hit much more often (despite flying quite evasively) in the latest patch.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062465:date=Jan 18 2013, 08:14 AM:name=Jeffey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeffey @ Jan 18 2013, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The difference is that in a poll bias is reduced by methodologically administering polls, while in NS2Stats case it is by whoever feels like installing the mod on their server, which isn't random. God knows what affect that has on the data, but you probably shouldn't disregard it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Methodic polling introduces bias through the subjective method of the person doing the data recording. Natural polling introduces bias through real life and practical influences.

Which sounds more representative?
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062468:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:20 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 17 2013, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, its teh taking a step back and understanding what the data says thats the hard part, people want an easy face value answer and there often isn't one....sure there is an answer but its hidden and not sraight forward to see/find.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it's not just that, but anecdotal evidence is very close to useless in NS2 because it has many RTS elements but a large deciding factor of most games and engagements still comes down to individual skill. it doesn't seem very useful to use "I am shooting skulks better / I am getting hit as a skulk more often" as evidence of hit registry being fixed, for example.
  • GilfishGilfish Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180345Members
    Why hasn't anyone brought up the major increase in minigun spin up time as an exo?! Who's bright idea was that? As if the marines weren't losing enough? They had to have their only real great tool hindered? I play a about 5 rounds a day, usually as a marine, and since the latest patch release I have yet to be in a match where marines win. That's not to say that no marines are winning because I know they are on other servers I just happen to not be on. But the point being, prior to the patch aliens would still win more often but about one out of eight matches marines MIGHT win. I think this game is fantastic but I am getting fed up with the unbalance issues prior to the patch and after the latest patch which seems to have just made matters worse.