Aliens: Colonial Marines

2»

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    We're mixing cougar aliens with marines who tend to be young and male. This isn't going to end well.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1879303:date=Oct 11 2011, 02:02 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 11 2011, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're mixing cougar aliens with marines who tend to be young and male. This isn't going to end well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The original concept was creepily sexy aliens who rape your face. This actually takes aliens closer to their original design than any of the films.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Bump.

I loved the old school AvP game. I didn't care for the new AvP. Specifically it felt like there was a low skill ceiling and I really didn't care for the one hit kill 'fatality' mini-cutscenes that took away player control.

So now Colonial Marines pre-order is available on Steam now. Apparently its coming out in February 2013. We're just about there. I'm really torn on whether or not I should pre-order/buy it. I've watched gameplay and it seems a little better than the new AvP but I'm not really able to determine if it captures the old magic of the original AvP.

Your thoughts?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061797:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:55 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jan 16 2013, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bump.

I loved the old school AvP game. I didn't care for the new AvP. Specifically it felt like there was a low skill ceiling and I really didn't care for the one hit kill 'fatality' mini-cutscenes that took away player control.

So now Colonial Marines pre-order is available on Steam now. Apparently its coming out in February 2013. We're just about there. I'm really torn on whether or not I should pre-order/buy it. I've watched gameplay and it seems a little better than the new AvP but I'm not really able to determine if it captures the old magic of the original AvP.

Your thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was looking at this game as well since I love anything with alien and marines. Either way do not jump the gun until it comes out and you can see player videos, opinions, watch a lot of game play to see what you are getting. I watched the latest online video and I feel like something is off

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXF40SdJow" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXF40SdJow</a>

Maybe it's the sound of the guns or the gameplay or something but the devs do not sound as excited as I expect them to be. Alien gameplay also looks stale and it reminds me of left4dead a bit with the whole 4v4 rush to the end to win sort of thing except with aliens and no zombie mobs.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    80 bucks. no thanks lol.

Clearly trying to sell this on avp franchise hype - a warning sign to me that the gameplay might not be so good.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No way am I buying this. God damn franchise is being ######ed over so hard x20...its enough.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    As I said in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117778&hl=" target="_blank">other</a> thread:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pissweak, slow aliens.
    A puny human knocking an alien back with a pistol-whip.
    Motion scanner that differentiates betwen friend and foe.
    Scripted cinematic kill sequences in multiplayer, during which the killer is invincible.

I have no interest in this whatsoever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

--Scythe--
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2061816:date=Jan 16 2013, 11:47 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 16 2013, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I watched the latest online video and I feel like something is off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah... something there definitely looked off...

Sigh.

I just want another <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_%28video_game%29" target="_blank">good AvP game.</a>
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It truly looks like something that should never have been created. Even Hicks looks bad. And why is Hicks even in there?
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062241:date=Jan 17 2013, 02:11 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 17 2013, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117778&hl=" target="_blank">other</a> thread:

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realize Aliens were invulnerable in the early builds right? You can kill them while they do that move, they kill marines in 2-3 swipes and swipe way faster then AvP 2010.

On top of that, the people playing in the trailers are <i>idiots</i>, they run right at marines instead of using tactics, <i>of course</i> it's going to make the aliens look weak when they aren't playing their strengths.

People who've played the game at the public demos can attest to the aliens being powerful.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    That sounds a bit better blood, but the video really isn't selling it.

As long as they don't mess up the wall-crawling and I can avoid the motion tracker picking me up by not moving then it might be worth a stab. Kind of worried how well lit those environments look though... First thing I did in any AvP game was break all the lights so I could stalk people safely :3
  • t0fut0fu Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170615Members
    Check out the angry joe review
    I can't believe people actually enjoy Angry Joe. He's is sooooooooooooo annoying to listen to.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    I can't believe people actually enjoy Angry Joe. He's is sooooooooooooo annoying to listen to.

What has to say or his voice?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Steve, this isn't avp, This is aliens.
    The two are entirely different entities.
    Also, angry joe rules. all his points are valid, and all his valids are points.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Steve, this isn't avp, This is aliens.
    The two are entirely different entities.
    Also, angry joe rules. all his points are valid, and all his valids are points.
    Yeah Steve, even if you think his voice is annoying, it doesn't mean his opinions don't have merit.
    It like turning down <Super car here> in a contest because it had a paint job you didn't like.
    He just constantly screams and fakes unrealistic levels of anger, probably in an attempt to be funny. Clearly, he some has hardcore superfans who like hearing massive distortion every other 40 seconds from his near constant yelling.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    He just constantly screams and fakes unrealistic levels of anger, probably in an attempt to be funny. Clearly, he some has hardcore superfans who like hearing massive distortion every other 40 seconds from his near constant yelling.
    True, but you have to admit the first 15s of that video is golden.

• paologerochipaologerochi Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71534Members
    edited February 2013
    Don't know about you guys but...

This made me like NS2 better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6lGXDM3LGnk

Too bad I don't have NS2.. :(
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    If any of you saved money by not buying A:CM I strongly recommend Crysis 3- the SP is superb and a pleasant surprise after C2's drab effort.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    LV426-Colonist? How you doing buddy? Keeping it together?

--Scythe--