Question (mostly towards competitive crowd) regarding Fades

Comments

• rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2060803:date=Jan 15 2013, 02:05 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Jan 15 2013, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have yet to see a good argument for celerity. If you know how to fade, you shadowstep jump around the entire map 100% of the time, thus you gain nothing from celerity except for maybe a tiny bit of extra speed if you overshoot your first shadowstep before you get hit or hit a marine.

Adren on the otherhand gives you a ton of extra blink.

That said in most even competitive games you may not have adrenaline for a long time, but I always get it if its available.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't SS 100% of the time, the right way to move around is to use SS to accelerate you into a certain direction at high speed until the speed drops off again, than you SS again. And that simply (used to) work better with Cele. Because Cele gave additional top speed to that "out of SS" acceleration. But 1-2 builds ago Cele got changed so this effect is barely noticeable anymore.

Also assuming that Cele is useless because "you are either attacking or getting attacked" is the wrong thing to assume. As an Fade you ideally do not get attacked and the window you are attacking in is a small one, the ideal Fade spends most of his time maneuvering, while doing that Cele should be active and useful. But Adren never felt useful to me on a Fade in NS2, never need to blink that much to make it actually worthwhile.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060849:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:19 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jan 15 2013, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't SS 100% of the time, the right way to move around is to use SS to accelerate you into a certain direction at high speed until the speed drops off again, than you SS again. And that simply (used to) work better with Cele. Because Cele gave additional top speed to that "out of SS" acceleration. But 1-2 builds ago Cele got changed so this effect is barely noticeable anymore.

Also assuming that Cele is useless because "you are either attacking or getting attacked" is the wrong thing to assume. As an Fade you ideally do not get attacked and the window you are attacking in is a small one, the ideal Fade spends most of his time maneuvering, while doing that Cele should be active and useful. But Adren never felt useful to me on a Fade in NS2, never need to blink that much to make it actually worthwhile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's not the right way to move with fade; celerity is useless
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060849:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:19 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jan 15 2013, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't SS 100% of the time, the right way to move around is to use SS to accelerate you into a certain direction at high speed until the speed drops off again, than you SS again. And that simply (used to) work better with Cele. Because Cele gave additional top speed to that "out of SS" acceleration. But 1-2 builds ago Cele got changed so this effect is barely noticeable anymore.

Also assuming that Cele is useless because "you are either attacking or getting attacked" is the wrong thing to assume. As an Fade you ideally do not get attacked and the window you are attacking in is a small one, the ideal Fade spends most of his time maneuvering, while doing that Cele should be active and useful. But Adren never felt useful to me on a Fade in NS2, never need to blink that much to make it actually worthwhile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't really understand what you are talking about in relation to moving around. What you should be doing as fade is shadowstep, jump before the end of shadowstep - which maintains the speed, then use your double jump again before you hit the ground to maintain that speed longer. Then repeat. Using this type of movement, the other time which you are actually walking, is just before you shadowstep again or when your swiping.

Further, to suggest that in practical play as a fade you will never get hit by even one bullet and that the period between attacks is typically greater then 3 seconds is beyond ridiculous.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    AFAIK celerity does not use the 'incombat' timer like regen or cloaking - the instant after your hit or you attack you start rebuilding speed again... Celerity fade used to be preferred when celerity actually increased the topspeed of ss and blink - now either upgrade is pretty useless (although it does feel like you maintain speed slightly better with celerity with shadowstep doublejump, but its extremely minor if not just a placebo).

As I said before the fade needs additional changes to make it actually scale well to the highest levels of play, and also for it to scale more linearly (fade is confusing at first, then quickly becomes too strong, then too weak).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd rather have the extra energy so I can always blink out of a sticky situation or catch jetpackers more easily. You can get around the map pretty fast without celerity anyway.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    fade is fine you just don't know how to play it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In reality, I'm shadowstepping into jump-jumping 95% of the time in gameplay (and blink only to "emergency escape" or for vertical places like for example getting on the 2nd floor in central on mineshaft etc.), and celerity turns off when you get shot even once... but I guess celerity is useful if like someone else said you're real pro, like you go in with a fade and kill marines without being hit even once. That's when it's really useful, lol.

That being said, adrenaline is also nearly useless if you don't have blink. Against people who aren't absolutely terribly horrible, you would run out of health faster than you would run out of energy usually. If you're consistently running out of energy without blink, you're probably "doing it wrong" ™.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    If you are using celerity as a fade you are ground-fading, and all ground fades do is die a horrible murderous death to bullets.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060951:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:34 PM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 15 2013, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are using celerity as a fade you are ground-fading, and all ground fades do is die a horrible murderous death to bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, truth.
  • umphreyumphrey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165280Members
    I just find celerity more responsive for when I occasionally get a chance to take advantage of it. I don't care for adrenaline at all because it takes too long to let the energy build back up to 100%, and I don't need that much energy anyway. I would agree that they are both very marginal upgrades for a fade, but celerity gives me a little more benefit than adrenaline.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2060852:date=Jan 15 2013, 05:41 PM:name=IAMKING)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IAMKING @ Jan 15 2013, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's not the right way to move with fade; celerity is useless<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a good point you made.. not. So what's the right way to move with a Fade? Facerolling the keyboard for maximum Blinkage spam?

<!--quoteo(post=2060858:date=Jan 15 2013, 06:01 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Jan 15 2013, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really understand what you are talking about in relation to moving around. What you should be doing as fade is shadowstep, jump before the end of shadowstep - which maintains the speed, then use your double jump again before you hit the ground to maintain that speed longer. Then repeat. Using this type of movement, the other time which you are actually walking, is just before you shadowstep again or when your swiping.

Further, to suggest that in practical play as a fade you will never get hit by even one bullet and that the period between attacks is typically greater then 3 seconds is beyond ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't understand what i'm talking about yet you perfectly understand what i'm talking about. Manging the double jump into the SS movement is a given, sorry i didn't feel the need to point that one out, in an discussion about fading on a competitive level. What i'm saying is that you never use SS 100% of the time, you actually time the usage of SS in between double jumps and SS uses. If you drain your Adren by just using SS/Double Jump to move around the map or you keep spamming SS, you are doing it wrong.

<!--quoteo(post=2060860:date=Jan 15 2013, 06:06 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 15 2013, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFAIK celerity does not use the 'incombat' timer like regen or cloaking - the instant after your hit or you attack you start rebuilding speed again... Celerity fade used to be preferred when celerity actually increased the topspeed of ss and blink - now either upgrade is pretty useless (although it does feel like you maintain speed slightly better with celerity with shadowstep doublejump, but its extremely minor if not just a placebo).

As I said before the fade needs additional changes to make it actually scale well to the highest levels of play, and also for it to scale more linearly (fade is confusing at first, then quickly becomes too strong, then too weak).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what i've been talking about, Celerity got changed in general not too long ago. Since than even celerity skulk feels way less responsive and slow. The celerity change on the Fade is very noticeable but to me it feels like it's still giving increased air control, which could be a placebo effect, but that's good enough for me considering i never run into adrenaline issues.
  • Piu-Piu-PiuPiu-Piu-Piu Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179663Members
    Btw, guys

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Description: Shadow Step is a rush movement ability which thrusts the Fade quickly toward its desired direction; <b>the more it is used, the less distance traveled</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When this diminishing kicks in? It reduces speed or distance of SS?
    edited January 2013
    I didn't understand due to your poor ability to express yourself, not because of a failure to understand the implications you were supposedly making. The point you are trying to make is still being conveyed extremely poorly -.-.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    In a competitive game, you will not have adrenaline. There is simply too little resources to get it, and on top of that, the 25 res invested into getting an adrenaline spur can be better put to use by hatching another fade egg.

In a pub, I like to get celerity. I'm a very spammy fade, so there actually are sections of running where I don't want to use shadowstep because I need my energy to refill. Adrenaline doesn't help with energy regen rate and is honestly one of my most despised upgrades in the game (I feel that the only lifeform that is decent with adrenaline is the gorge, and that can be replaced by a forward shift // celerity has the biggest movement speed upgrade out of all of the lifeforms on the gorge)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2060951:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:34 PM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 15 2013, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are using celerity as a fade you are ground-fading, and all ground fades do is die a horrible murderous death to bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Double Jump more ;)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    People seem to be neglecting that celerity fading is much quieter and less noticeable than SS fading. Going slower, but getting a free swipe or two from stealth is always preferred to closing distances faster in my book.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061497:date=Jan 16 2013, 12:23 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 16 2013, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Double Jump more ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

- - - - o

o-|-<
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061503:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:37 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 16 2013, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People seem to be neglecting that celerity fading is much quieter and less noticeable than SS fading. Going slower, but getting a free swipe or two from stealth is always preferred to closing distances faster in my book.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is celerity fade quieter?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061685:date=Jan 16 2013, 05:23 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 16 2013, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hair?
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061679:date=Jan 16 2013, 06:08 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jan 16 2013, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is celerity fade quieter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think he's saying because you walk around more rather than shadow stepping? I don't know. I hope not. That's ridiculous.
    <!--quoteo(post=2061685:date=Jan 16 2013, 04:23 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 16 2013, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2061685:date=Jan 17 2013, 09:23 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 17 2013, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

an intended effect by the developer due to lack of a certain physical feature.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061685:date=Jan 16 2013, 04:23 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 16 2013, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's it right there, I've been living a lie.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2061685:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:23 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 17 2013, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys celerity is better because you can listen to the wind blowing through your hair as you move around as fade. Its very relaxing and peaceful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahahaha, lost my ######.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited January 2013
    i'd prefer to not even evolve into a fade until adrenaline is out - i think you need every advantage you can get.

being able to escape or having semi-'noclip' mode with blink for twice as long is not only advantageous in combat versatility, but is actually significantly more fun to play.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061679:date=Jan 16 2013, 04:08 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jan 16 2013, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is celerity fade quieter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suppose I should have said less noticeable than quieter. The shadowstep sound is very distinct such that I can easily hear it even when there are tons of noise. The celerity wind + fade footsteps are much more subtle, making it easier to catch marines by surprise, especially during heavy action.
  • w3st420w3st420 Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72615Members
    Use celerity on fade if you want to walk around.
    Use adrenaline if you shadow step around.
    Use regen if your com is incompetent and not putting crags in key places.
    Use Cara if your com is competent.

Its pretty simple.

Anybody who knows how to continuously shadow step around and still chooses celerity is dense and misinformed. It does not change shadow step speed and only changes blink momentum by a few units of speed (which disappear about a tenth of a second later). Fades should never be walking too, even when attacking. Learn to shadow step while attacking and you will see how wasted celerity is on a fade.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061343:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:41 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Jan 16 2013, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't understand due to your poor ability to express yourself, not because of a failure to understand the implications you were supposedly making. The point you are trying to make is still being conveyed extremely poorly -.-.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhm why get so personal suddenly? This is an international place so problems with miscommunication are to be expected.
    To roll it up from the beginning:
    You claim that Celerity is useless because it does not effect SS or Blink.

I say:
    It has an effect because you never are using SS or Blink 100% of the time, in fact you spent the majority of time not USING these abilities but rather profiting from their acceleration <b>after</b> you used them.

Or to get back to a more practical example: You never spam SS, you don't just mash the SS button with no regard to timing or cooldown. Or else this applies: <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Description: Shadow Step is a rush movement ability which thrusts the Fade quickly toward its desired direction; <b>the more it is used, the less distance traveled.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The proper way to use SS is to accelerate into a certain direction and NOT instantly SS again. You use SS again only if you start to decelerate (which takes some time, to that point Cele should be active) or if you want to change directions. But you do not spam/hold down SS to "perma SS" (same with Blink). You use these abilities in controlled bursts to gain acceleration and air time, if you spam these abilities to keep in the air/keep moving you are doing it wrong as you are not making any use of the inertia SS/Blink give you when you use them.

<!--quoteo(post=2062291:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:45 PM:name=w3st420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w3st420 @ Jan 17 2013, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does not change shadow step speed and only changes blink momentum by a few units of speed (which disappear about a tenth of a second later). Fades should never be walking too, even when attacking. Learn to shadow step while attacking and you will see how wasted celerity is on a fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's keep in mind that this Celerity change has been a rather recent one and even Charlie seems to be confused as to how/why it works now. Personally i dislike the change to Celerity as it's now, i'd rather take the original iteration of that upgrade (Speed slowly increasing over time) over what we have now.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2062214:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:20 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 17 2013, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose I should have said less noticeable than quieter. The shadowstep sound is very distinct such that I can easily hear it even when there are tons of noise. The celerity wind + fade footsteps are much more subtle, making it easier to catch marines by surprise, especially during heavy action.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    prettttty minoooor ;)