Official Server Request - Western Australia

SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
<div class="IPBDescription">So far away, we might as well be another country</div>Could we please have an official 16 slot server in Perth, Western Australia? We are a long way away from the other side of the country and don't get very nice pings to their servers.

I noticed someone is hosting a Perth server, but sadly they made it 24 slots (which sucks from a balance point of view performance aside), and it runs like a hound, with 2 missing legs.

Comments

• krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    I believe GameServers is the only company that currently offers NS2 servers in Australia. You could purchase one from them if you needed to, they only go up to 10 slots though.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hosted a WA server during the beta days going on awhile now.
    It just costed too much money and the equipment wasn't good enough. Unless you build a monster and get it co-located, WA dedicated server rental for games is a dead scene :(
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061518:date=Jan 17 2013, 06:51 AM:name=kraze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kraze @ Jan 17 2013, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe GameServers is the only company that currently offers NS2 servers in Australia. You could purchase one from them if you needed to, they only go up to 10 slots though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hypernia and Multiplay are hosting servers in Australia too. As for Perth, I'm not too sure sorry
  • mbrickmbrick Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181869Members
    edited January 2013
    How fast of a connection can you get at home? 5mbit upload should suffice to host.

You could then build a box for ~$325 (maybe a little more with your exchange rate) that would host 18-20 players. And $375 could get you 20-24.

Weigh the payback on that against buying a VM I suppose.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    mbrick wrote: »
    How fast of a connection can you get at home? 5mbit upload should suffice to host.

You could then build a box for ~$325 (maybe a little more with your exchange rate) that would host 18-20 players. And $375 could get you 20-24.

Weigh the payback on that against buying a VM I suppose.

I do this with my servers, previously I only had 5mbit upload and was running a 24 slot with no problems. You can build a very high spec i5-3570K server minus monitor/kb/mouse and using onboard video for under AUD700.

Bring on the NBN :)
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Sadly I'm at the outer extents of a shoddy adsl line. I have to set qos just to play. Even then if the Mrs does some internetting my ping can often jump from 80 to 300+. Worse still, my area isn't in the nbn 3 year plan even though it's less than 7km from the cbd and medium high density.
    What isp are you with? Maybe they can adjust interleaving values for you to reduce your ping (most say no, some let you if you lodge a support ticket and some ISPs such as internode let users adjust it via a webpage).
    After a quick google, you could maybe get in touch with these guys?
    http://waserverhosting.com/services.html
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Just an fyi, but Gameservers DOES offer more then 10 player slots for NS2, they just don't recommend and seemed squimish about wanting to deal with going over that due to NS2's server resource demands. That's what turned me off to them.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    AussieKid wrote: »
    After a quick google, you could maybe get in touch with these guys?
    http://waserverhosting.com/services.html

Yeah I don't think they are in service anymore, I contacted them a while back now with no reply, and again a few weeks ago.

I think the only way to go in Western Australia for a NS2 server powerful enough would be to supply hardware and get it co-located.
    Which brings me to my next question, would a HP DL320e Gen8 E3-1240v2, 8GB PC3-12800E
    be powerful enough to run a 18 player server?
    I might be able to get hold of one of these and then look for a co-location place with a decent bandwidth link.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    18 is likely doable if your ok with some performance issues lategame. 16 would be better on that hardware. What a lot of server operators have been doing is just putting desktop i5 hardware into a 1U or 2U case and overclocking. Paring a 2500k or 3570k with a cheap ASRock or Asus mobo + low profile cooler can usually get you into the 4.2-4.5 GHz range.
    Yeah I would definitely like to do that but I'm afraid that in the co-location places available to me the power consumption they offer might be exceded with that type of setup?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Presuming they have a standard outlet it shouldn't be an issue, though if you're concerned about it just ask the data center.
    Cheers ScardyBob, you've helped me in the past and I thank you once again :)
    I've got some emails in waiting from some colo centres and I'll put the specs to them and see what they say.
    Cheers buddy.