[Project] UWE Servers Need Admins

reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
edited December 2012 in Squad Five
I posted a topic about this the General Discussion and while it got a fair amount of attention, I would like to keep pushing the issue.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125808" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125808</a>

While some people advocated shutting down some or all of the UWE servers, I don't think this needs to happen. Lots of people expressed that they enjoy the unmodded game and the UWE servers always seem to run fast and have a lower player count and are often busy. It’s why I enjoy playing on them myself.

That being said they are attracting more and more trolls lately. They often come in groups and hit multiple UWE servers at once, because they seem to have caught on they can have free reign there.

This hurts UWE's image, and obviously ticks off a lot of players, both new and old. New players in particular have a hard time understanding how a couple people can completely take over an "official" server so easily, and I don't blame them.

So the project I’m proposing is simple. Round up some NS2 players who are a part of community here and play regularly on the official servers and let them be admins.
Lay out some simple ground rules for admins to prevent any abuses if needed, though I think the majority of the people who contribute here could be trusted because we all want to see the game do well.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    I think it sounds fine, but the devs need to take a bit of their time to first implement a way for us to manage their servers (I think this might require some legal contract or whatever?)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    YES! UWE servers needs some admins. Ppl are stucking AFK in RR all the time or just going to CC building 4 armory's for fun etc.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2043449:date=Dec 11 2012, 02:53 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 11 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it sounds fine, but the devs need to take a bit of their time to first implement a way for us to manage their servers (I think this might require some legal contract or whatever?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think being a server admin requires anything so binding as a legal contract. I don't expect them to pay people or anything like that. I was an admin for a CS clan server years ago and it was just an informal agreement on the server forums.

I suppose things could have changed by now though. Though a legal contract would certainly be a good way of preventing admin abuses.
  • LopezLopez Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77480Members
    So... what about this topic? I'd be intersted in becoming an admin. I hope 10++ years of esport are qualifying me for that job :D
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    UWE servers in Aus are ruined almost nightly by Americans in groups of 2-4 spamming vote eject and changing teams.

Really just a simple change to vote eject needing more than 2 people is required, I have no idea why such a stupid number of people was ever implemented for something as game breaking as that, especially when it bars people from entering the hive/chair for that round.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Im putting together a UWE server admin team right now, but it is hard to have admins in the servers 24/7.....
    So in the mean time, while the servers are slowly phased out, we will do what we can with new bolstered forces ...
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    They've lost the playerbase to even fill the servers so.. no need imo.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    I was hoping to get a Dev response, or hear from someone who runs the servers about this.

Trolls are still a problem. I had to leave a server last night due to another group of them.

I know you guys are busy, but I think this is a problem worthy of a response of some kind.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I can't speak for all the playtesters, but I know many - like myself - would be happy to volunteer to help protect UWE servers. The vast majority of us have been around NS for a decade, so we're all 'low risk' for abuse of power potential.

However, as has been noted, the means to manage the servers needs to be there. That's what is missing right now, and nothing can be done until/unless UWE code in a method to deal with this.

However, I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea to shut down servers in areas where there is sufficient coverage.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048755:date=Dec 20 2012, 01:43 PM:name=reasa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reasa @ Dec 20 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was hoping to get a Dev response, or hear from someone who runs the servers about this.

Trolls are still a problem. I had to leave a server last night due to another group of them.

I know you guys are busy, but I think this is a problem worthy of a response of some kind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The servers are being phased out slowly, In the mean time there will be more admins added for the servers and (Hopefully) better ways of reporting an issues. I'm currently in conversations with Hugh and the rest of UWE about ways of handling this issue, if you have any input or wish to join the team you can contact me at DMayDrum@Gmail.com.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047910:date=Dec 19 2012, 05:49 PM:name=Xao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xao @ Dec 19 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE servers in Aus are ruined almost nightly by Americans in groups of 2-4 spamming vote eject and changing teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Voting # requirement doesn't scale with players?

I play on UWE's Australian servers (which are still needed and very occupied, so stop your generalisations general public) and never have the need for an administrator really, except for the occasional mentally challenged American wandering in. Still, a servers always managers. If UWE happens to read this post and decide to give rcon access to select members of the public then implement one strike rule. One documented offence and they're removed from administration access permanently.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2047957:date=Dec 19 2012, 07:27 PM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Dec 19 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've lost the playerbase to even fill the servers so.. no need imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, umm..? Nah!
    The playerbase fallout will be subdued when some improvements are rolled out.
    The complex nature of this game requires education and re-education. And theres no point in dreaming of NS3 until UWE have filled the boundries created, <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126710&pid=2054578&st=0&#entry2054578" target="_blank">here</a>.
  • TommyNSTommyNS Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33202Members, Constellation
    Happened again for many times, 2 guys in the Official EU #38 ejecting all the time everyone who tried to comm. till the server died. Got the 2 steamIDs if you need.
  • GhozerGhozer Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16617Members, Constellation
    all they need to do, is disable/disallow Client side mods and plugins on the Official servers....
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061481:date=Jan 17 2013, 02:53 AM:name=Ghozer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghozer @ Jan 17 2013, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all they need to do, is disable/disallow Client side mods and plugins on the Official servers....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aren't they consistency-checked? My minimal alien vision client-side mod doesn't work when I join official Singapore servers.