Umbra and spores identity crisis

FonkFonk Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179892Members
I'm new to forums, and I didn't see anything like this. But if this is a repost, I apologize.

Umbra is a defensive ability, yet it is shot.
Spores is an offensive ability, yet it is sprayed.

This seems a little counter-intuitive to me. I don't think this is a game breaking issue, and neither are hard to use effectively. I just feel these two abilities seem a little backwards.

Is there any specific intention with this? Would spores really be op if it could be shot?

Comments

• ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have shade and shift in some tight hallway and have lerk hidden in some ceilings and then have him permanently keep that passage gassed without ever need to risk his life. Only one example how this could potentially be op.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    ns1 spores were a projectile and for sometime during alpha it was as well and there are still players here (myself included) who would prefer to have it back. Guess they felt the lerk needed more involvement in the fight so they made him into a cropduster
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    Yea I remember hearing on an NS2 video that the lerk could snipe marines with poison gas and so it was decided that by forcing the lerk to engage marines closely to drop the gas, it would be more involved in combat and the marines had a chance to kill it at that moment.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    During alpha/beta we've tested the lerk abilities in several iterations, including ones where everything was ranged (spikes, spores, umbra). The outcome was basically that Lerks always stay away from the fights, spouting cloud after cloud of gas. It was not a very engaging way to play the game.

Hence, it was decided to make the spores a trail, so the lerk is forced to go into the fray as well. The same thing goes for the spikes, they used to be pinpoint accurate, which made them alien snipers. This also collides with the design intent for aliens, where they are more melee based, whereas the marines are the ranged race.

Thus, it'll remain this way for good reasons. :)
    should bring back shotty spikes that was a great time
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061273:date=Jan 16 2013, 05:45 AM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Jan 16 2013, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->should bring back shotty spikes that was a great time<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

best thing this game ever had lol
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061269:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:35 AM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jan 16 2013, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->During alpha/beta we've tested the lerk abilities in several iterations, including ones where everything was ranged (spikes, spores, umbra). The outcome was basically that Lerks always stay away from the fights, spouting cloud after cloud of gas. It was not a very engaging way to play the game.

Hence, it was decided to make the spores a trail, so the lerk is forced to go into the fray as well. The same thing goes for the spikes, they used to be pinpoint accurate, which made them alien snipers. This also collides with the design intent for aliens, where they are more melee based, whereas the marines are the ranged race.

Thus, it'll remain this way for good reasons. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a little disingenuous to point to that era of testing on this subject because the lerk was different in so many other ways and performance was absolutely shocking. In any case, no other form of projectile spores were tried, though many were suggested.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bring back bile bombing lerks
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061277:date=Jan 16 2013, 12:55 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 16 2013, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a little disingenuous to point to that era of testing on this subject because the lerk was different in so many other ways and performance was absolutely shocking. In any case, no other form of projectile spores were tried, though many were suggested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I prefer that you would not refer to my replies as being disingenuous, it's unnecessarily disrespectful.

To answer the point you make; as I explained the aliens were designed to be a melee race. A class that does quite a large amount of damage from afar, out of reach of even marine weapons (since they have no sniper-like weapon; LMG's can't <b>kill</b> a lerk at that range easily), just doesn't fit in there.

Apart from that, even though it was a 'different time' and performance was worse etc. - to many people it's still not a lot of fun to spout AoE spore clouds from a distance, without ever getting close to a fight.

In my personal opinion, it would even be fine to have both spores <b>and</b> umbra be delivered through a trail, but that's a whole different story.
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061269:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:35 AM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jan 16 2013, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->During alpha/beta we've tested the lerk abilities in several iterations, including ones where everything was ranged (spikes, spores, umbra). The outcome was basically that Lerks always stay away from the fights, spouting cloud after cloud of gas. It was not a very engaging way to play the game.

Thus, it'll remain this way for good reasons. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It seems to be forgotten that a life form has more abilities than those which are explicitly prescribed to it. In NS1 I played as Lerk near enough every game. Mostly competitive, but the occasional pub stomp every so often too.

You are right, NS1 style Lerk was not necessarily at the forefront of large confrontations, but it was a key skill to be able to skim around the outskirts of a skirmish and harass the marines. What it lacked in combat was made up in scouting ability and support. The primary role as a competitive lerk player in NS1 was to scout hives, RTs, harass groups of marines as well as taking out lone marine recappers. Personally, I find that a very engaging and critical role.

You can argue that the NS2 style lerk can do the same, but the NS2 lerk is a relatively slow and cumbersome beast compared to its NS1 counterpart. The lack of a ranged support ability (spikes are not even worth mentioning), forcing it into melee with any enemy means that even if the lerk does scout out a group of marines theres nothing they can do to harass without putting itself at great risk. But now that we have drifters and the alien commander, the scouting ability of the lerk is rarely even required which puts it into the lackluster state it currently is in. (similar to the gorge, the role it was originally intended to fill has been reduced significantly)

NS1 lerk allowed you more freedom with regards to movement, which increased the skill ceiling for both the lerks themselves but also the marines trying to take them down. Combined with umbra, the 2 hive lerk could easily take on a couple of marines and really upped the harassment and support capabilities. This was great progression for the Lerk, and showed that the devs knew how to create a great support lifeform and keep it balanced and effective through the course of the game. This knowledge appears to now be lacking.

Personally, I find the lerk at present to be one of the greatest sources of frustration and is most definitely not an engaging way to play the game.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    An offensive ability that requires the Lerk to make himself vulnerable in order to attack.

A defensive ability that requires the target being defended to make himself (less) vulnerable in order to attack.

From an evolutionary sense it may seem counter intuitive. Makes perfect sense from a gameplay point of view though.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061283:date=Jan 16 2013, 01:16 PM:name=DethGaunt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DethGaunt @ Jan 16 2013, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061283"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(spikes are not even worth mentioning)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When was the last time you played exactly?
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061286:date=Jan 16 2013, 11:23 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 16 2013, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When was the last time you played exactly?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

;) touché. It has been a while, I still think my points are valid however.
    <!--quoteo(post=2061288:date=Jan 16 2013, 01:25 PM:name=DethGaunt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DethGaunt @ Jan 16 2013, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->;) touché. It has been a while, I still think my points are valid however.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye probably, its just worth noting that spikes are really powerful now. Also as for scouting, why scout in NS2 when 50% of the hive rooms on the map are within 10 seconds of travel from your starting hive?

The old Lerk was a creature of opportunity, preying on lone and isolated marines. In NS2 everything is so close together than stuff like that never happens. Disappointing for sure, but I think they have done a good job at updating the Lerk for its new role.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    Interesting points, Deth, most of which i agree with.. but those points won't be addressed by just making spores ranged. So i don't really see the downsides of ranged spores that have been mentioned, are worth getting nothing in return?

Like you mentioned, there are more abilities.. and while i too feel the harrassing/support/scout aspects of the lerk have unfortunately been toned down slightly, ranged spores isn't responsible for it. Speed of the lerk, spores contending for research with BB, Blink, and leap, and the viability of umbra are all factors. (and drifters cannot contend with the scouting or response abilities of the lerk)

On a brainstorming note, though, I think there are many ways that a happy middle ground can achieved on that topic. i.e. a medium distance spray like the flamethrower. Would give better feedback in first person too. :shrug:

Edit: and this is where i shamelessly plug a vote for the return of the 13 speed lerk.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer that you would not refer to my replies as being disingenuous, it's unnecessarily disrespectful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, are you real?

Ranged spores are superior for reasons that has been discussed ad nauseam by the limited few that understand what warrants a continued experience while retaining it's enjoyment and depth. Those people aren't really around anymore.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061277:date=Jan 16 2013, 05:55 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 16 2013, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In any case, no other form of projectile spores were tried, though many were suggested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in the original it was way too easy to find a hiding spot with an appropriate angle & shoot spores a very good distance across the map from safety & provide area denial.

instead of tweaking to fix, uwe changed the underlying philosophy for that AOE ability & they stuck with it.

there were many good suggestions in the beta that didnt get tried, simply because they had to be coded & there is no way to try or revisit every idea.

maybe in a future big patch :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2061277:date=Jan 16 2013, 12:55 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 16 2013, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In any case, no other form of projectile spores were tried, though many were suggested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha, so now gameplay testing has become a process whereby they continue to test different variations of the mechanic you want until they find the least terrible one and use it?

They tried projectile spores.
    It didn't work.
    Time to move on.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    sprayed spores don't fit very well. against decent players there isn't much difference in risk between spore range and bite range.

balance testing ranged spores and tweaking numbers around it sounds feasible. tweaking numbers to reverse the logic of close-range spores and ranged umbra sounds less than feasible!
    <!--quoteo(post=2061304:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:14 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 16 2013, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->balance testing ranged spores and tweaking numbers around it sounds feasible. tweaking numbers to reverse the logic of close-range spores and ranged umbra sounds less than feasible!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It isn't about balance, its about gameplay.

You could theoretically balance a lifeform that sits in a corner and deals damage to every marine on the map periodically. Providing you tweak the damage dealt enough, it could sufficiently satisfy the balance requirements of the game, but it would never satisfy the gameplay requirements.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061307:date=Jan 16 2013, 04:26 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 16 2013, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It isn't about balance, its about gameplay.

You could theoretically balance a lifeform that sits in a corner and deals damage to every marine on the map periodically. Providing you tweak the damage dealt enough, it could sufficiently satisfy the balance requirements of the game, but it would never satisfy the gameplay requirements.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes, you are agreeing with me
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061304:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:14 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 16 2013, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sprayed spores don't fit very well. against decent players there isn't much difference in risk between spore range and bite range.

balance testing ranged spores and tweaking numbers around it sounds feasible. tweaking numbers to reverse the logic of close-range spores and ranged umbra sounds less than feasible!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I think the ranged spores got vito'd too early in the process when hit reg and actual performance was really bad (1st time I saw a FT I got about 1-2 FPS and simply died with a screen off white flame with n idea which way I was facing as I quickly died).
    So it was a lot harder to hit the lerk as hit reg was so poor and marines struggled to aim (I think everyone would agree its become easier to shoot/track as performance has improved).

Since then things have improved and the lerk has been less and less viable in a game with marines that can aim or a team that cant with SG's.
    Umbra makes so much more sense being bombed or trailed, ranged spores fit the lerks weak frame (paper thin is not far from it) and required play style.

If a lerk sitting near a shift shutting down a hallway worries you....then what happens you you have a camo'd onos sitting in that hall?
    This is no different to a marine sitting in the vent in veil...if the lerk wants to spend his time sitting there...he is not in the battle so your up 1 and should find taking and holding ground easier.
    +1 for giving for projectile spores another shot
  • NikolaiLevNikolaiLev Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165658Members
    Charlie was asked about this during the European match between Exertus and Archaea. He stated that the primary reason behind the change to Spores is because while the Lerk is a flying class, ranged spores meant the Lerk wasn't actually doing much flying; optimal play put him in a safe perch while shooting spores.

I never cared for Lerk much in NS1. However, the Lerk in NS2 is one of my favorite lifeforms; Spikes are hard to use but extremely effective, especially coupled with the ability to fire accurately while strafe-flying. The Spore change <i>makes sense</i> and introduces effective counterplay to an effective AoE damage solution. It increases the skill cap for the lifeform and in my opinion, it's far more enjoyable. The Lerk's power is not to be questioned, especially if you take a glance at competitive matches where Lerks have huge leverage.

Umbra isn't really a defensive ability, it's a support ability. It's optimal when used to protect your team, as well as yourself when you make use of Spores lategame. Given this, making it ranged makes sense. Although, making it similar to Spores means you have to make a choice of which cloud you want to deploy in a flying run. This would warrant a buff to both, probably, but would be an interesting choice nonetheless.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061334:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:27 PM:name=NikolaiLev)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaiLev @ Jan 16 2013, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie was asked about this during the European match between Exertus and Archaea. He stated that the primary reason behind the change to Spores is because while the Lerk is a flying class, ranged spores meant the Lerk wasn't actually doing much flying; optimal play put him in a safe perch while shooting spores.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Frankly you don't need spores or anything else to make the lerk fly; staying static is basically a death sentence as you can get instant-lag killed. Even new players learn that pretty fast after getting pistoled to death a couple of times.

Projectile spores with reasonable radius require line of sight to be effective, so staying static is no option. In my experience ranged spores works more or less like spikes, but with a much lower skill floor as the aiming is not as important.

Remember also that melee spores was introduced when the lerk didn't had bite, but some kind of sniper spike.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061303:date=Jan 16 2013, 12:05 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 16 2013, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hahaha, so now gameplay testing has become a process whereby they continue to test different variations of the mechanic you want until they find the least terrible one and use it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *cough*
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited January 2013
    Spores are amazingly effective against teams that don't have dedicated flamers, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I prefer the spore trail to the projectile spores by a mile, and yes, I used to play NS1. The lerk is such a high-mobility lifeform and one of the only non-gorge lifeforms where adrenaline is a perfectly viable option (if you know what you're doing). The issue is that nobody wants to learn how to fly correctly, which means that Flayra is absolutely right; making spores a projectile attack would compound the issue. That's somewhat beside the point, though, since trail spores are actually better than projectile spores, and projectile umbra is actually better than AoE umbra.
    Yeah it was sooooo hard to learn how to fly correctly >.>
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, but if you have trouble flying over groups of marines without dying instantly, you might not be using all the evasive maneuvers available to you.

Not only do trail spores allow you to deny areas mid-combat more effectively (albeit at a greater risk to yourself, which is justified, since area denial is so annoying), but they allow you to use the fact that most maps have long corridors to your advantage. Spore the surrounding area first and THEN spore the marines; whichever direction they move, they'll be running into spores. Furthermore, while you can still spore up an armory, you can no longer do so with impunity--which is perfectly justified. Also consider exo balance for a moment, and the role of the welder. A single good lerk can, right now, shut down an entire team of non-flamer welders. You want to be able to do this without having to put yourself at any risk as well? Lastly, if you opt to not use adrenaline, you become less of a crop duster and more of a divebomber, which is fine, but your spores will remain useful even though they'll be relegated to a more crowd control-centric role (harder to get kills with them, but just as easy to prevent marines from entering areas).

Umbra, on the other hand, is a skill far better suited to supporting your team rather than yourself. While an AoE umbra is nice and all, to use it effectively would mean that you'd have to be near your teammates at all times, and your teammates happen to move quite differently than you do. A bigger problem with umbra is that it comes late game, but you can protect node rushes so effectively with it that it remains useful, and the fact that it is a projectile makes this much easier.
  • FonkFonk Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179892Members
    You'll be kind to read my OP where I admit that neither ability is hard to use, instead of accusing someone of failing at simple point and click mechanics.

Thank you HE and others for answering my question. I just wanted to know how these two attacks and their functions evolved.