Dev input on Vortex?

Comments

• TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    That is why I would prefer replacing vortex with some form of 'grab' that lets you shadowstep in, 'grab' a marine, blink out (bringing the marine with you) letting you kill them away from their friends. You have massive spikes for arms, why can you not grab a marine and pull them with you?
  • AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    Would you fade players consider using Vortex midgame instead of Blink? The Khamm could research either, in this hypothetical scenario, would having Vortex early make it more useful?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060787:date=Jan 15 2013, 06:08 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 15 2013, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this guy high or is it actually possible to vortex friendly structures now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty sure he is high. Outside of turning on cheats, don't think any abilities like this affect allies or structures.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Vortex hive to save it until cavalry comes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like how people post advices without even launching a game at least once.
  • skizzskizz Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179778Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060893:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:15 PM:name=AWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AWhite @ Jan 15 2013, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you fade players consider using Vortex midgame instead of Blink? The Khamm could research either, in this hypothetical scenario, would having Vortex early make it more useful?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not for its current energy cost. even with a lower energy cost I believe most people would prefer the mobility of blink over the lacking functionality of vortex.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2060893:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:15 PM:name=AWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AWhite @ Jan 15 2013, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you fade players consider using Vortex midgame instead of Blink? The Khamm could research either, in this hypothetical scenario, would having Vortex early make it more useful?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If vortex would be a 2nd hive researchable building, along with blink, I think it would become alot more viable. Comm could choose to go vortex or go third hive. At 2nd hive there would probably still be good spots to play around with vortex.

I like the 1vs1 idea tho, is pretty neat.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    The only use i've found for vortex is running into a group of rookies and vortexing all of them while spamming taunt as much as possible.

Being able to 1v1 someone in a vortex would be ######ing amazing though, that's the kind of ###### that the fade needs.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->And another question:

How does vortex even fit into an alien biology?! The rest of the alien abilities at least make sense biologically to an extent.

Vortex seems very high end technology rather than biologically generated. It would make much more sense for the fade to have some sort of ink splatter which blinds or paralyzes for a short while than phasing someone out of reality, much less phasing a building out of reality.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vortex fits perfectly in with the fade. He has the ability to blink, so vortex is basically forcing someone else into the same "world" that the fade goes in when he blinks. Since other life forms aren't familiar with it, they can't control it as much as the fade can, so they kind of come out whenever they come out and don't have the ability to travel fast.

Allowing the fade to vortex friendlies could be good for support... not sure if it fits his kit very well, but you could vortex an onos before he died to save him which could be cool.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you vortex a team mate, ie. a retreating onos?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060905:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:59 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Jan 15 2013, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only use i've found for vortex is running into a group of rookies and vortexing all of them while spamming taunt as much as possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vortexing all of them?
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used vortex last night to toy with the last marine the onos said he did 2000 damage and couldn't figure out why the guy wouldnt die. I really question how many people that posted here have seen it in use. It doesnt seem to interupt an ip or prevent a beacon.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->vortexing all of them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Another dude who never even tried to use vortex.
    Guys, please stop it. Try it out in the game, then write your ridiculous posts.
  • skizzskizz Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179778Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060948:date=Jan 15 2013, 03:29 PM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Jan 15 2013, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I used vortex last night to toy with the last marine the onos said he did 2000 damage and couldn't figure out why the guy wouldnt die. I really question how many people that posted here have seen it in use. It doesnt seem to interupt an ip or prevent a beacon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vortex interrupts it for i believe 4 seconds and then it continues where it left off. So it is more of a delay than a interruption. It also does not remove marine armor and wep upgrades on currently living marines, nor does it keep the commander from doing anything if you vortex the command chair. Practically useless unless you are vortexing an exo to kill his welders.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060962:date=Jan 15 2013, 02:51 PM:name=skizz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skizz @ Jan 15 2013, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vortex interrupts it for i believe 4 seconds and then it continues where it left off. So it is more of a delay than a interruption. It also does not remove marine armor and wep upgrades on currently living marines, nor does it keep the commander from doing anything if you vortex the command chair. Practically useless unless you are vortexing an exo to kill his welders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Simple fix, make the target remain vulnerable while vortexed.
    <!--quoteo(post=2060968:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:11 PM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 15 2013, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple fix, make the target remain vulnerable while vortexed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, while we are at it, put a self destruct button on the command station usable by alien players.
    <!--quoteo(post=2060970:date=Jan 15 2013, 03:20 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 15 2013, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, while we are at it, put a self destruct button on the command station usable by alien players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you <i> don't</i> want a better vortex?
  • 11monkeys11monkeys Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 177001Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2060948:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:29 PM:name=Solarity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solarity @ Jan 15 2013, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I used vortex last night to toy with the last marine the onos said he did 2000 damage and couldn't figure out why the guy wouldnt die. I really question how many people that posted here have seen it in use. It doesnt seem to interupt an ip or prevent a beacon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, it's good for trolling and that's about it.
    Only thing I can think of is vortex on the amory with a shift next to you and lerks doing their thing.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060968:date=Jan 16 2013, 07:11 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 16 2013, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple fix, make the target remain vulnerable while vortexed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe this is similar line of thinknig that lead to the 1v1 recommendation (where you pull a marine into your blink world for only you to attack), having the marine able to be hit by everyone else is possibly overkill...1v1 should be enough.
    <!--quoteo(post=2060957:date=Jan 15 2013, 12:45 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 15 2013, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another dude who never even tried to use vortex.
    Guys, please stop it. Try it out in the game, then write your ridiculous posts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

....wat?

You can definitely blink in, vortex, step away, come back, vortex another guy, blink off, come back, vortex again.... don't understand where the hate is coming from.
    <!--quoteo(post=2061008:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:43 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 15 2013, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe this is similar line of thinknig that lead to the 1v1 recommendation (where you pull a marine into your blink world for only you to attack), having the marine able to be hit by everyone else is possibly overkill...1v1 should be enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, may be tone my idea down by making it reduced damage like 2/3 or 1/2 while vortexed.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060801:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:54 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 15 2013, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you can time a stomp for when a JP'er is out of fuel and in range...your a lucky onos, most smart marines know how to stay out of range.

Stomp started out as 2nd hive...but got pushed back as stomps somewhat less OP'd later in the game, so really its just a 2nd tier attack that needs 3 hives...as there is nothing you can get for the onos on two hives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I run adren on onos, so I'm basically stomping any time the jp is out of range of my gore. JPers usually touch down often, especially when they think they are safely out of range. Meanwhile I'm running forward while stomping and stomp has more range than they usually account for. Plus I run silence, so they tend not to even realize I'm stomping.

Stomp is as useful to an onos as carapace, which is to say it's nearly essential and I feel naked without it. Onos with stomp at 2 hive would just make pres onos way too op (more than they already are anyway).
    <!--quoteo(post=2060972:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:28 PM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 15 2013, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you <i> don't</i> want a better vortex?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't want an "I win" button.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061053:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:41 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 16 2013, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, may be tone my idea down by making it reduced damage like 2/3 or 1/2 while vortexed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think anyone other than a fade though being able to hit them is a little hard to explain....I think that 1v1 (so both fade and victim can only be hit by each other) will make a huge difference to both fades usefulness mid-late game and vortex will be researched more often.

Or maybe it could work, vortex does have a cool down...and a fade can already be hit when blinking (so allowing skulks to bite a vortexed marines not too different).

<!--quoteo(post=2061143:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:32 PM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 16 2013, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I run adren on onos, so I'm basically stomping any time the jp is out of range of my gore. JPers usually touch down often, especially when they think they are safely out of range. Meanwhile I'm running forward while stomping and stomp has more range than they usually account for. Plus I run silence, so they tend not to even realize I'm stomping.

Stomp is as useful to an onos as carapace, which is to say it's nearly essential and I feel naked without it. Onos with stomp at 2 hive would just make pres onos way too op (more than they already are anyway).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So when you com across marines who dont know how to kite an onos or stay out of range of gore, stomp and charge you find stomps of good use.
    Aweseome...now if you can tell me where I find these naive marines to play against I might change my opinion.
    Sadly the marines I encounter know how ot use a JP, this might have a lot to do with aussie servers have a large number of players who where involved in the beta process and as such are able to easily cope with an onos in most room.

Lets remember this is meant to be a third hive (top tech) abilit, currently its lacking in being able to assist in finishing off the marine team.
    So really does not help much....the onos would be better off targeting the power or just killing the marines.
    The spammability of stomp (coupled with allowing for multiple targets to be hit) makes it worse than the old devour ever was.
    Atleast devour took 1 marine out of the game for a short time (until he was digested or you died)...but this is off topic so will stop posting on the onos and stomp in this thread.
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    I think all of these so called 'third hive' abilities should be an alternative abilities, so the alien comm would have to be the mastermind of tactics.. meaning if they decide to go vortex instead of blink then it could give some interesting variation to the strategy side of games, tho i agree the vortex is useless as a third hive ability same as xenocide but if those would be second hive abilities to be researched by commander.. it would make a difference.

Might be ridicilous ideas but just my two cents :)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    You could mix things up, whatever vortex turns into it could also double as a 2nd exit from a gorge tunnel.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060905:date=Jan 15 2013, 01:59 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Jan 15 2013, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only use i've found for vortex is running into a group of rookies and vortexing all of them while spamming taunt as much as possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2060919:date=Jan 15 2013, 02:29 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 15 2013, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vortexing all of them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Once upon a time, Vortex was an AoE portal that lasted for 4-5 seconds or so. It could even vortex grenades that passed through it.

As a marine, the few times I played one, I'd <i>intentionally</i> enter one so I could reload, hehe.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061164:date=Jan 16 2013, 06:57 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Jan 16 2013, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could mix things up, whatever vortex turns into it could also double as a 2nd exit from a gorge tunnel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or it could be possible for Fades to drop two Vortexes that bind together and instantly moves players between them, creating a shortlived teleport for his teammates (or adventurous Marines). That would turn the Fade into a support unit though...
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    I don't think vortex need's a "fix". If aliesn have enouh res and 3th hive they usually fix missing 2 hive upgrades first, then first stomp + umbrella. Even with a "more usefull" vortex ability I still think it won't be researched before stomp (at wich point it wont really matter). The only thing an improved version of this ability would do is decrease turtle time (which in my opinoin is good, but would eliminate all possebilities for a marine to have a comeback).

If vortext get's a upgrade give marines something to... I'm getting the idea aliens are getting more op by the minute.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Vortex is a good skill but it's underpowered and needs some work. First part is obvious, you can't attack after vortexing for a short period of time, which takes away almost all point to doing it in the first place most of the time. Another is that it uses up way too much energy for what it does, and it doesn't last long on structures.