Natural Selection 2 News Update - Netrunner and Vulnerability

MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Netrunner and Vulnerability here

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    So Orcs are officially confirmed as the 3rd race for NS2?

<strike><sub>http://i.imgur.com/PuwV0.jpg</sub></strike>
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>* Nuked image to reduce spam. Please don't post off-topic stuff like this, thank you. - Angelusz *</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    No disrespect intended to Netrunner, but does this really belong on the NS2 front page?
  • RobbehRobbeh Join Date: 2005-05-16 Member: 51775Members
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did i miss something? ... WTF?
  • PikachuPikachu Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161437Members
    Maybe 4chan hacked unknownworlds? Not sure if being trolled..
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    I don't really mind, but I was kind of waiting for a "okay so how I feel this related" paragraph at the bottom.

Nothing wrong with the post, just seemed a bit out of the blue.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058945:date=Jan 10 2013, 02:30 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 10 2013, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really mind, but I was kind of waiting for a "okay so how I feel this related" paragraph at the bottom.

Nothing wrong with the post, just seemed a bit out of the blue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just think one of them really enjoys netrunner. There was that bit with the whole game becomes stale when you have a few strategies that will dominate competitive play. Then he goes on on how new packs are coming out to change things up. i think he is just relating to how NS2 will have upcoming changes that will freshen the whole end game rather than just using one stale strat to win. I guess the upcoming update is an example. Or again, maybe he really just likes netrunner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    The game came out in 1996? So it was cool before Cyberpunk was cool <b>again</b>. :P
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The post is about vulnerability. It uses Netrunner as an example.

Vulnerability is definitely related to NS2. Power nodes, cysts, etc...
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2058954:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:40 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Jan 10 2013, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The post is about vulnerability. It uses Netrunner as an example.

Vulnerability is definitely related to NS2. Power nodes, cysts, etc...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's fine and I can certainly see the correlation.

Without it being confirmed, it's initially just conjecture on our end.
  • tildytildy Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67701Members
    I've never played this game, but I want to try it now. I like the flavor.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Brian should make a card game mod for NS2. Have a large room with multiple tables and seats that you can activate to start up a mini-game interface. A NS2 card game within NS2 without the FPS elements. I can just imagine it now. :P
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058959:date=Jan 10 2013, 02:50 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 10 2013, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's fine and I can certainly see the correlation.

Without it being confirmed, it's initially just conjecture on our end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait what? Without what being confirmed?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2058954:date=Jan 10 2013, 08:40 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Jan 10 2013, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The post is about vulnerability. It uses Netrunner as an example.

Vulnerability is definitely related to NS2. Power nodes, cysts, etc...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    thnx, didnt realy see the connection at first.
    taking a game like netrunner as a resource for ideas and conzepts of vulnerability is great.
    but i have to say as an explanation it will most likely be to far off the mainstream...
    anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain netrunner, ill give it go sometime.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058954:date=Jan 10 2013, 03:40 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Jan 10 2013, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The post is about vulnerability. It uses Netrunner as an example.

There's no mention of NS2 in the post though, I checked. You've gotta establish your premise first and spell out the comparisons if you want to provide insight into how these things are related. IMO anything that is less than say 50% talking about NS2 is a real stretch to go on the news page.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058967:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:59 PM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 10 2013, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait what? Without what being confirmed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The first news post being intentionally correlated to NS2. I mean, obviously it was. It doesn't take too much thinking to figure that one out. However, with the whole post totally absent of anything mentioning NS2, you're just guessing that was their intent.

Hence why I quoted his confirmation in my post..
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I kept looking for the words Natural Selection in that huge wall of text. I literally read your first couple sentences on that "Defense" paragraph over wondering what the hell am I reading and why.

Next time, use an introductory paragraph... Any high school English class teaches it. Otherwise thanks for sharing I think.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Yea this whole post really doesnt have anything to do with NS2. You can try and connect it but it really just seems more like something I'd expect to see on the angry video game nerd or something.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>The point on how this news post was written and presented has been made clearly enough. Please proceed with on-topic discussion now. Off topic posts after this message will be removed.</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Unless, there's nothing to actually discuss. And that news post is just "...?"
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Meh dont see how my image was offtopic, was supporting Brian in his post about some of the overarching reasons for certain mechanics in NS2.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058977:date=Jan 10 2013, 03:20 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Jan 10 2013, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless, there's nothing to actually discuss. And that news post is just "...?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly..I am confused still...sorry Angelusz

<!--quoteo(post=2058954:date=Jan 10 2013, 02:40 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Jan 10 2013, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The post is about vulnerability. It uses Netrunner as an example.

Are you saying the Devs need to reevaluate core components such as the ones you mentioned and any other component that tend to restrict strategic gameplay (marines can't relocate outside of fixed Tech points being 1 example)? Or are you saying they <b>are</b> reevaluating those? What is the news?
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2058931:date=Jan 10 2013, 11:09 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 10 2013, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So Orcs are officially confirmed as the 3rd race for NS2?

<strike><sub>http://i.imgur.com/PuwV0.jpg</sub></strike>
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>* Nuked image to reduce spam. Please don't post off-topic stuff like this, thank you. - Angelusz *</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Funny mod edit given the original post.
  • FatalflawFatalflaw Join Date: 2004-01-13 Member: 25278Members
    edited January 2013
    Used to play NetRunner all the time in highschool with me and my friends. Multiple corps multiple runners in a giant standoff. I remember some of the old original cards to that really make me want to find my deck again. Cards like skullcap which prevented net damage, Fridge which was a meatlocker that prevented meat damage. Half the time I was practically indestructible even making very short work of the infamous ice '<a href="http://media.trollandtoad.com/products/pictures/186402.jpg" target="_blank">Mastiff</a>'.

From super servers which housed junk or traps and a discard pile with one ice that had all the agenda hiding in plain sight, to a myriad of other tactics, this by far was one of the best card games I've ever played. Yes, I'm even comparing this to MTG.

I want to play again, wonder if I can convince my gf to give it a try. O.o
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    One of the new year resolutions at UWE is to blog more often, and about more varied content. We want this blog to be more than just NS2 change logs. Everyone from the team is going to be contributing content. At first glance, many of these posts will not seem to be NS2 related. Brian's post, about his experience in the card game Netrunners, is a perfect example.

Without exception, all of these posts are an insight into the minds of the people working on NS2 every day, and tangentially relate to its continued development by informing you about how we all think. For example, I will be making a post about modeling micro-transactions in Free-To-Play games. This does not mean we are even considering making NS2 Free-To-Play, it is just an interesting thing to write and think about.

Enjoy and never fear, NS2 related posts will continue as they always have.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058986:date=Jan 10 2013, 04:21 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 10 2013, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the new year resolutions at UWE is to blog more often, and about more varied content. We want this blog to be more than just NS2 change logs. Everyone from the team is going to be contributing content. At first glance, many of these posts will not seem to be NS2 related. Brian's post, about his experience in the card game Netrunners, is a perfect example.

Without exception, all of these posts are an insight into the minds of the people working on NS2 every day, and tangentially relate to its continued development by informing you about how we all think. For example, I will be making a post about modeling micro-transactions in Free-To-Play games. This does not mean we are even considering making NS2 Free-To-Play, it is just an interesting thing to write and think about.

Enjoy and never fear, NS2 related posts will continue as they always have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that clears things up a little.. Because honestly, I read that , scratched my head... said to my self "What the hell did i just read?"..

Without this explanation it appeared to be a random rant that could at some stretch be applied to the game..

Thanks for clearing up what this was and what we will be seeing Hugh. I look forward to more of these now.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058986:date=Jan 10 2013, 03:21 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Jan 10 2013, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the new year resolutions at UWE is to blog more often, and about more varied content. We want this blog to be more than just NS2 change logs. Everyone from the team is going to be contributing content. At first glance, many of these posts will not seem to be NS2 related. Brian's post, about his experience in the card game Netrunners, is a perfect example.

Enjoy and never fear, NS2 related posts will continue as they always have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perfect. I will no longer will be confused with non-NS2 related material.
  • ChadwichChadwich Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124817Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think I stumbled onto the wrong website.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2058982:date=Jan 10 2013, 12:35 PM:name=Fatalflaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fatalflaw @ Jan 10 2013, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Used to play NetRunner all the time in highschool with me and my friends. Multiple corps multiple runners in a giant standoff. I remember some of the old original cards to that really make me want to find my deck again. Cards like skullcap which prevented net damage, Fridge which was a meatlocker that prevented meat damage. Half the time I was practically indestructible even making very short work of the infamous ice '<a href="http://media.trollandtoad.com/products/pictures/186402.jpg" target="_blank">Mastiff</a>'.

From super servers which housed junk or traps and a discard pile with one ice that had all the agenda hiding in plain sight, to a myriad of other tactics, this by far was one of the best card games I've ever played. Yes, I'm even comparing this to MTG.

I want to play again, wonder if I can convince my gf to give it a try. O.o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never played the original game so I like hearing these "veteran" stories. Mastiff is ridiculous. In some ways it reminds me of <a href="http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-card-spoilers/_/genesis/what-lies-ahead/janus-1-0-what-lies-ahead" target="_blank">Janis 1.0</a> in this new version. An expensive Ice like those are fun to rez for free with something like <a href="http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-card-spoilers/_/core/priority-requisition-core" target="_blank">Priority Requisition</a> :)