The Toxicity of Fandom

radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Is there a point where a fanboy is just too much?</div>Reading <a href="http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/39544291251/on-fandom-and-toxic-environments" target="_blank">this article</a> from a guy at Bioware, and I couldn't help but notice I've done the same with NS2 and the forums.

It seems the negative is so overwhelming, and the few that make it their mission to nay say at every opportunity pushes guys like me who, although I have gripes with NS2, are happy to enjoy the game and allow the devs to make changes they see fit.

I'd love for a dev to comment on whether it's been easy to continually read the forums, or if some, or all, have had times where it's been mandatory to "unplug" for the day/week/month to keep a positive outlook and some sanity?

Fellow NS community, does this have an affect on your involvement and contribution to forums/IRC?

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    As a forum mod here I get pretty jaded, will keep visiting/playing until I drop though, this is a very nice community.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Maybe he should stop writing terrible stories and being a terrible writer.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    The ns2 general forums reminds me of the old I & S forums
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    its always good to have someone calling you an idiot rather than having no feedbacks at all because one doesnt even bother to waste time on an idiot, particularly when everyone thinks that you are just too stupid to get better so they just ignore you and move on.

another point: no one wants to be angry. its not fun to be angry. but if one is angry, there is a good reason behind. likely advises being continually ignored or situation repeats.

the only problem is whether one is in the right or beneficial position to ignore one or masses of advises. just like the old TF2 demoman
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    All game forums are like this. It would be really weird if it was just circle jerking and no real discussions. But some discussions just stop being about to game and starts to get insulting and way off topic which happens a lot here. Which is why there are so many locked threads. Not to mention going through pages of the same arguments back and forth.